Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 841563

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2022, 10:46   #1581
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
My note above (about a week ago) says it changed hands for £4,300 Dave, I'm not sure whether that was just from memory or whether I bothered to look it up though. If that was the case the dealer is standing on a substantial loss after hawking the motor car around for 4 months.

This motor car is a bit hard to value because the potential market is so small. If I compare it to the RB then I think it has to be worth a bit less (LHD, non-original motor, needs some welding and plenty of redecoration), so if the RB is at about £5,000 that puts is somewhere around 4 grand I should think. The acid test of value for most things is the public auction, and the eBay market has spoken: it is only worth £3,500 (and that may have included a bit of shill bidding).

I can't bring myself to feel sorry for the dealer selling the motor car, he/she has been caught out profiteering.

:-)
I remember it was somewhere around the £4k mark that he bought the car at from somewhere near Kings Lynn so you're probably correct at £4300, both our figures are £4k +/- 10% so not worth digging too deep when he's trying to sell it for ~50% mark-up.
As the market has calmed now, i think he's caught a cold with it and like Andrew said, he's gambled and lost - just another day at the office for a car trader really.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2022, 23:07   #1582
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
The fact it is a 242 is difficult to assess: that makes it rare here in the UK (but not rare at all elsewhere, the 242 was just a cheap version of the 244 in other markets) and so something of a curiosity - but I don't know whether that adds or detracts from its value.
I think you've missed out two key factors affecting its value:
1) To many, the 2-door is the prettiest body style
2) It's the body style with the racing pedigree

I still wouldn't buy that one without expecting to spend several thousand on getting the rust sorted out, and the seller appears to be attempting to build that premium in without doing the work...!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2022, 23:10   #1583
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Potentially less electrickery as well as the RB has electronic ignition and (as there's no mention of it) i presume this one is still on points and condensor.
I am fairly sure the 'E' engines of that era were breakerless / electronic, FWIW.

EDIT: Ah...I see this was covered later! The giveaway is a reasonably sizeable control unit to be seen in the engine bay...but it's not visible in that shot, if it's there.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164

Last edited by foggyjames; Mar 28th, 2022 at 23:12.
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 06:37   #1584
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
I think you've missed out two key factors affecting its value:
1) To many, the 2-door is the prettiest body style
2) It's the body style with the racing pedigree

I still wouldn't buy that one without expecting to spend several thousand on getting the rust sorted out, and the seller appears to be attempting to build that premium in without doing the work...!

cheers

James
Well, maybe, but the market doesn't really seem to agree and only values the motor car at £3,600, whereas a good RHD 244 of that era might reasonably sell for £5,000.

I suppose there might be some hipster that wants an unusually shaped 240 with LHD, or someone that wants to pretend he has a 1970s racing or rallying Volvo out there - but he/she has not come forward yet :-).

I can't help thinking this motor car would look a bit daft with a roll cage and race numbers in Swaffham Asda car park whilst doing the shopping on a Saturday morn - but what do I know :-).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Mar 29th, 2022 at 07:18.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 12:19   #1585
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Apologies - my response was a little unclear. I meant that, all else being equal, a 242 will normally carry a premium (and I am fairly confident that could be proven to be true today in markets where the 242 was supplied new, and hence is relatively plentiful), for the reasons I outlined. For those with an interesting in the motorsport pedigree, the 2-door is the one to have. Outside of the UK, you see relatively few tuned 244s. 245s are understandably popular, but 242s are (seemingly) the ones to have if you're interested in performance.

As for this car...its value is clearly dented by its grotty condition. I agree with your assessment of its value. I would suggest that a 244 in equivalent condition would unlikely to make as much, though - the factors outlined (pedigree, looks, and - at least in the UK - your suggestion of rarity value) give this a premium. Clearly not as much as the seller thinks, though! I would politely suggest that any perception that the 242 is the 'budget' model has long-since vanished, though - it's now the premium version in most markets.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 07:27   #1586
Othen
Premier Member

Default Not one for the faint hearted!

I noticed this one and thought it might be a good barometer of the very bottom end of the market:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154931359...wAAOSwdeRiSe-l

... this one really is as rough as a badger's arse: its 40 years old, been sitting in a field for 20 years, doesn't drive and is missing the interior. No doubt someone will think that a couple of weekends work will have it back on the road.

Its one saving grace is that it is a 1981 motor car, and so could be registered as an historic vehicle (exempt tax and MoT), but it would have to be in roadworthy condition to do that.

I'll watch this one on eBay and report back at sale time.

Alan
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 11:58   #1587
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I noticed this one and thought it might be a good barometer of the very bottom end of the market:

... this one really is as rough as a badger's arse: its 40 years old, been sitting in a field for 20 years, doesn't drive and is missing the interior. No doubt someone will think that a couple of weekends work will have it back on the road.

Its one saving grace is that it is a 1981 motor car, and so could be registered as an historic vehicle (exempt tax and MoT), but it would have to be in roadworthy condition to do that.

Alan
That looks not just to be the bottom of the market but the bottom of the barrel Alan!

The bonnet has measles, there doesn't appear to be a panel that doesn't have at least some rust and i can't even say the interior is nice because it doesn't have one!

I suspect it will sell as either a spares mule or a very brave (and long!) restoration either to original spec or to the spec the buyer wants and can't get in the normal way of things. Sadly because of the tinworm and lack of interior, it may well end up on the track but that should release some usable spares to other owners.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 12:22   #1588
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
That looks not just to be the bottom of the market but the bottom of the barrel Alan!

The bonnet has measles, there doesn't appear to be a panel that doesn't have at least some rust and i can't even say the interior is nice because it doesn't have one!

I suspect it will sell as either a spares mule or a very brave (and long!) restoration either to original spec or to the spec the buyer wants and can't get in the normal way of things. Sadly because of the tinworm and lack of interior, it may well end up on the track but that should release some usable spares to other owners.
My thoughts exactly that one is Banger Racing bound
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 14:12   #1589
Snow White

Quote:

Alan
At least it has keys……
Snow White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow White For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 21:17   #1590
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock View Post
My thoughts exactly that one is Banger Racing bound
That one made just £745 chaps - maybe banger racing money?