Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 2007 purchase advice needed (2.5T)

Views : 921

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2016, 11:57   #1
LuxMark

Default S80 2007 purchase advice needed (2.5T)

Hi, first post here. I live in Luxembourg and have been looking to buy a used car for a while. I drove a 1979 Volvo 250 the last years of its life (1996-1999) so I am keen on the brand.

My needs are pretty simple: I don't drive a lot (walk to the office) but want a car for local errands (shopping) and perhaps a roadtrip 1x per month (fairly long distance). I know this S80 is probably more car than I need (married, wife does not drive, no kids) but I would prefer a later model car with some luxury over a more basic newer car.

I am looking at a 2007 Volvo S80 2.5 T Momentum version. It has all the service records, but 3 owners. The car is via private sale, listed at 10,500Euro. 89,000 KM

I also know of a 2007 Volvo S80 2.4 D5 185 Sport from a nearby dealer with 140,000km for 11,900Euro.

I have not seen either car, but will in the next week. Any advice appreciated. Specifically I want to know

- What are things I need to look for, service-history wise? What repairs should have been done at those mileage levels?
- What is a Momentum? I found the levels for those models to be S, SE, SE Sport and SE Lux. Momentum shows up only on Scandinavian models.
- Is this too much of a car for me? I could probably find an S40 for 10,000 perhaps a 2009.

Thanks and please move this if it is in the wrong place.

Last edited by LuxMark; Mar 18th, 2016 at 12:00.
LuxMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 16:06   #2
Fulham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxMark View Post
Hi, first post here. I live in Luxembourg and have been looking to buy a used car for a while. I drove a 1979 Volvo 250 the last years of its life (1996-1999) so I am keen on the brand.

My needs are pretty simple: I don't drive a lot (walk to the office) but want a car for local errands (shopping) and perhaps a roadtrip 1x per month (fairly long distance). I know this S80 is probably more car than I need (married, wife does not drive, no kids) but I would prefer a later model car with some luxury over a more basic newer car.

I am looking at a 2007 Volvo S80 2.5 T Momentum version. It has all the service records, but 3 owners. The car is via private sale, listed at 10,500Euro. 89,000 KM

I also know of a 2007 Volvo S80 2.4 D5 185 Sport from a nearby dealer with 140,000km for 11,900Euro.

I have not seen either car, but will in the next week. Any advice appreciated. Specifically I want to know

- What are things I need to look for, service-history wise? What repairs should have been done at those mileage levels?
- What is a Momentum? I found the levels for those models to be S, SE, SE Sport and SE Lux. Momentum shows up only on Scandinavian models.
- Is this too much of a car for me? I could probably find an S40 for 10,000 perhaps a 2009.

Thanks and please move this if it is in the wrong place.
From experience you will want the larger car, even if you don't need the car you will notice a massive difference in the larger machine over a long distance drive.

T5 or D5 - I say go for the T5. the petrol car is going to be cheaper to buy and to service, and if you're not going to use it daily then you won't notice a fuel bill. Also the D5 isn't as economical as you think so the difference their is even smaller. The petrol will also be more like to have extra options on there.

Models - SE lux is the model to look for, however an SE with leather and heated seats or a winter pack is all you really need from the car. Don't be swayed by the sat nav, it's not that great and you will only end up using Google maps anyway.

Also make sure the audio system is set up with the USB socket (in the centre console) or at the very least an aux socket, so you can use an ipod/phone mp3 player.

Those prices are incredibly steep, have you looked into buying a right hand drive over here and re-registering in Luxembourg? Off the top of my head you could save a couple grand at least...

Good luck with your car, they are great machines.
Ex - 2004 BMW 745i. 4.4 335bhp
Ex - 2000 BMW 530d 3.0d 190bhp
Fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 16:10   #3
Fulham

Also, with my D5

- 55,000 miles ish (80,000km) is a major service)

- 108,000miles (170,000km) Timing belt and aux belts.

Unsure on T5, however with both models just ensure you have full history or walk away. It's the only way to be sure.
Ex - 2004 BMW 745i. 4.4 335bhp
Ex - 2000 BMW 530d 3.0d 190bhp
Fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 19:44   #4
Model flyer
Master Member

Stick to your choice for an S80. If you go the V40 route you will be disappointed as build quality is much lower. The D5 engine and the T5 are very strong and are good for 200,000 miles plus providing they have been serviced regularly and good oil used. The T5 is a rocket ship .The running gear will be very Ford ish and built to a price unlike older Volvo's. Check for shocks, any noises from suspension and switch gear. Electrical faults can be very expensive to solve unless you are a keen diy er. Check that there are two keys and that they both work. Nearly all electrical bits have to be programmed by Volvo so second hand bits are not always usable. Good luck and enjoy your new Volvo.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 20:37   #5
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Petrol engine wise there were (in the UK at least) there were 5 petrol choices at launch. The 2.0 145 bhp Mazda MZR, the 2.5 197 bhp Volvo 5, the 3.2 241 bhp Volvo 6, the 3.0 285 bhp T6 and the 4.4 310 bhp Yamaha V8.

Of those, they are all good engines, though the 2.0 is quite sluggish as the S80 is a heavy car. The best all rounder is probably the 2.5T but that depends on road tax costs and purchase prices in Luxembourg, in the UK, the 2.5T and above all fall into the £505 per year bracket and none of them are that good on fuel so over here I'd go for whatever was highest spec/lowest price/better condition etc rather than focus on the engine. If it's different over with you then you may want to look at the 2.5T more thoroughly. If your mileage doesn't warrant a diesel I wouldn't get one and a D5 in town is not an efficient thing anyway.

The Momentum is basically an SE with a few more toys; there are some other forumers in Europe who can clarify that, but if it has full leather, power drivers seat, winter pack etc it's doing OK.

Having had an S40, a C30 and now the big XC70, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the P3 over the P1 cars. They are very much nicer
Old Mar 21st, 2016, 11:47   #6
LuxMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulham View Post
From experience you will want the larger car, even if you don't need the car you will notice a massive difference in the larger machine over a long distance drive.

T5 or D5 - I say go for the T5. the petrol car is going to be cheaper to buy and to service, and if you're not going to use it daily then you won't notice a fuel bill. Also the D5 isn't as economical as you think so the difference their is even smaller. The petrol will also be more like to have extra options on there.

Models - SE lux is the model to look for, however an SE with leather and heated seats or a winter pack is all you really need from the car. Don't be swayed by the sat nav, it's not that great and you will only end up using Google maps anyway.

Also make sure the audio system is set up with the USB socket (in the centre console) or at the very least an aux socket, so you can use an ipod/phone mp3 player.

Those prices are incredibly steep, have you looked into buying a right hand drive over here and re-registering in Luxembourg? Off the top of my head you could save a couple grand at least...

Good luck with your car, they are great machines.
Thanks all for the responses. I know the prices are steep but that is Luxembourg. In terms of your suggestion to but a right-hand car, I am American so that would result in a serious car accident about 2 minutes of my driving the car. Cheers!
LuxMark is offline   Reply With Quote