Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone Driving a V50 2.0 Petrol?

Views : 825

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2011, 14:59   #1
95ron

Default Anyone Driving a V50 2.0 Petrol?

I'm considering buying a new MY2012 V50 2.0 (145hp) petrol model. I know diesel V50s are by far the most popular model but I'm a low mileage user and a diesel model doesn't seem to stack up from POV of running and service costs. I've always been a petrol user up to now and have owned a petrol V40 in the past, which I was pleased with.

So would be interested to hear from any current V50 2.0 petrol owners - are you happy with your purchase?

Any comments welcome....
95ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 15:09   #2
Daim
Brit in Germany

I don't have a V50, but a C30 with the 2.0l engine... Without being stupid, I'm saying it is one of the best engines for the S40/V50 or C30.

With a gentle foot you can get great MPGs out of it. It has appropriate power when needed and has the classic nonturbo characteristics (means: around the low revrange moderate power, at high revs all at once - between the two a good increase). The only down side - if you want to call it that - is the gearbox, with is a bit sticky... But it is okay.

It is quiet, low on maintainance costs (hardly anything has to be changed) and is a fine piece of classic engineering. If it was available with an automatic (proper automatic with torque converter) then I'd buy it again...

I've had mine now for around 100.000 km (about 62.000 miles!) and have had no issues what so ever with the engine. It has always started and always runs. The one thing I have is a "stutter" in a certain revrange, which should be "deleted" when the new plugs are fitted.

If you compare the 2.0l to the 2.0d it seems on paper "boring" but it easily matches and keeps up with the 2.0d and even overtakes it at higher speeds without any issues Thrus it has less parts which can go wrong and even IF they go wrong, head to Ford or Mazda!

Again, the 2.0l is a fantastic engine, for that what it is I'd say, it is the minimum engine for the S40/V50/C30 as it has power (fun!) and economy (fuel!).

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 15:32   #3
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

1.6 petrol for town mileage and best economy

1.8 petrol for town + some motorway mileage - good economy

2.0 petrol for motorway overtaking power and good economy

2.4 petrol for 5 cylinder growl and volvo refinement

T5 petrol for mayhem
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 15:48   #4
Daim
Brit in Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
1.6 petrol for town mileage and best economy

1.8 petrol for town + some motorway mileage - good economy

2.0 petrol for motorway overtaking power and good economy

2.4 petrol for 5 cylinder growl and volvo refinement

T5 petrol for mayhem
Got to hand in my "veto" about the 1.6 petrol with best mileage and economy. I'm not a fast driver. I flow with traffic. I can't even get in the near of the Volvo figures for the 1.6 - it is basically (in my eyes) a traffic hazard. Best economy isn't the 1.6's sense. It is basically the "entry" engine but is basically in the wrong place...

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote