Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on suspension mounts/tops

Views : 3415

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2014, 02:14   #1
Jp003
JP

Default Advice on suspension mounts/tops

Hi

I am pretty sure my shocker on the near side is badly worn and makes a dull thudding noise when going over different road surfaces.

I am looking at putting the GT sports lowered suspension on from Volvo but was concerned that the strut mounts/tops may be what the problem is and not the shocker.

Has anyone ever had to change the strut mounting?

Do they last? are they ever changed? Am i likely to need to change them when I change the suspension?

I'm only asking because front and rear costs about £220.00 to replace and I have no idea if they are likely to need changing when i swap the shockers and springs over?

Does anyone know how to test them. Leaver bar in the top and see how much movement there is?

Any advice would be welcome.

I don't want to change all the suspension over and find out the strut tops are no good and i have to start again!!!

Also if anyone reading this has a GT spec 70 series with sports/lowered suspension can you post the 8 digit number on your data plate in the engine bay (bottom right number 8 digits) I want to cross reference the number to see what codes are for the equipment i want. Yes Volvo parts can only send you out the equipment you had on your car when it left the factory and can not tell you if it was/is standard or sports option!!!!

Hopefully someone who knows can help out

Regards

JP
Jp003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 08:20   #2
CasualAlien

It would be good to hear from someone on this subject as I am just about to renew my top mounts too, with a view to lowering.
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 13:07   #3
kevvydude
Premier Member

the top mounts on the back are easy to do, but the bolts that hold them will prob snap, ,dont worry ,just tap the welded nuts out and replace with new nuts and bolts, the fronts are a bit more involved, you need to take the strut out and use spring compessers to release the pressure then unbolt the top nut and the rubber/metal mount will come off, the rears are prob naff, if they have,nt been changed, my car clonked took a look at the backs first, and they were shot, £28 each from volvo, so not to bad, if your up rating you springs ect ,id def do the rears as matter of course m8, if your bolts on the rear snap you will need a long socket bar/bars, but its a easy job, hope it help m8

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
kevvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevvydude For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 19:13   #4
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

£220?????? who the hell has quoted you that price?

i replaced both fronts with XC90 items from Rufe on here Gen Volvo items for about £70, the rears again were only £60 and both were delivered for that price.

Sounds like you are being quoted for the bearing on the front as well mate, unless its seized or groaning it will be fine, you just need the rubber parts on the front.
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 19:56   #5
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
£220?????? who the hell has quoted you that price?

i replaced both fronts with XC90 items from Rufe on here Gen Volvo items for about £70, the rears again were only £60 and both were delivered for that price.

Sounds like you are being quoted for the bearing on the front as well mate, unless its seized or groaning it will be fine, you just need the rubber parts on the front.
The price I quoted was for front and rear which is why it is a lot.

I have checked the rubber seats and they are in mint condition. I was concerned that the top strut mounts on the front may have gone.

Are you saying they should be okay on the front?
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 21:29   #6
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp003 View Post
The price I quoted was for front and rear which is why it is a lot.

I have checked the rubber seats and they are in mint condition. I was concerned that the top strut mounts on the front may have gone.

Are you saying they should be okay on the front?
its the rubber part that gives way 90% of the time, its very rare for the metal part with the bearing to go faulty.

The rubber part may well look ok from the top and bottom but it could well still be perished
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 21:49   #7
byootox
Premier Member

I've done my top mounts along with the shocks on mine on the front.
The mounts you get (from FRF) are apparently upgraded automatically to XC90 ones if memory serves but fit fine.
As long as you have a spring compressor(s) then the front ones are easy enough.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to byootox For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 15:50   #8
Jp003
JP

Okay so from the posts this is the conclusion I have come to.

As Kevvydude has informed me the rear top mounts and rubbers and bolts will need replacing. Thanks for your post very useful information.

I am replacing all the springs and shockers

Replacing rear top mounts rubber and metal

Now the front I am beginning to undertand. Am I correct in thinking there is a rubber mount which sits into the metal bearing mount above it?

So the front rubber mounts are a must but the chances are the bearing mount should be okay?!

I think the price I was quoted for off FRF was for the rubber mounts and the metal bearings all included which is why it was so expensive.

Just to confirm we are not talking about the rubber mounts the springs sit into are we? This is what I Think is in good condition from memory not the strut top rubber mount.

What I don't want to happen is on the day when I have changed everything over and find out the front metal strut bearing has failed!! Surely for the time it would take to strip the front suspension off I would be better just installing new mounts rubber and metal all round?

I'm not a mechanic but I have enough equipment to get the jobs done but usually it takes me a lot longer because I want to make sure I do it right! I really don't want to have to take it all apart again if the bearings are knackered!!!

Wouldn't the front top metal strut mount be under most stress when hitting a pot hole at 80 MPH for example? Lets be honest where I live you would be better off with a monster truck the roads are that bad!!

I want to thank everyone who helped and wished me luck. I like to think I can complete most jobs providing I get some good advice and help along the way! **** poor planning leads to a **** poor job!

Cheers guys
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 20:03   #9
kevvydude
Premier Member

the rear top mounts are each one unit, the bolts will only be a couple of quid, so the rears wont cost you a lot m8

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
kevvydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 01:05   #10
Jp003
JP

Thanks Kevvydude your advice has been good. Once ive took it all apart ill understand exactly what s what.

What sort of a noise do the drop links make when they are gone? Is it more of a clank/knock than a thud?

Do you know how to test them when looking at them? Is it a visual inspection of the bushes and give them a wangle to see if there is any excessive movement?

I better check these are in good condition too when I'm changing the suspension over.

Any advice on the rear Stabilizers. How do they wear? Do they ever develop any faults etc. Is there a better one available? There was one stated for the Volvo sports suspension kit but it is no longer available!!!

Kind regards

JP