Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what are the Towing weights 120/140/160

Views : 1335

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2015, 20:49   #1
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Default what are the Towing weights 120/140/160

all info appreciated
Old Jan 17th, 2015, 21:58   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

You can tow as much as you want with the 120/140/240 but you do need make sure you do not overload the rear axle. Axle weights very from model to model.

If you intend towing a lot then it is worth upgrading the rear suspension and also make sure your brakes are in good working order and suitable tyres fitted
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 11:55   #3
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

the police wont agree with your first statement, especially in north wales where you are.

What are the manufacturers stated limits ?
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 14:23   #4
Triple-S
How Old?

My Haynes manual for my 164 states kerb weight 1360kg for '73 and earlier cars, and 1430kg for '74
HOWEVER
nowadays the legally accepted limits to towing with 2-wheel drive cars is what they call the Train Weight, which is your car, trailer and load. The manuals for newer cars recognise this need and they list it for the car specified - useful for caravanners etc. My Haynes merely refers me to the owners handbook, which I don't have. All I know is I can legally tow just over a ton: you may not be able to establish what your load weighs but get pulled onto a motorway weighbridge and you soon will! Then you run the risk of having your load plus car confiscated so is it worth the risk?
However, if you have 4WD vehicle like a Landrover you can legally tow a train weight of 3 tons. To think a few years ago I carried a Volvo 164 on a trailer behind my Amazon estate....

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:44   #5
ScottOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
all info appreciated
I actually have the original Owners manual and driving tips booklets in my 164. Will have a look tomorrow and let you know..
ScottOz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottOz For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 15:07   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

It is not a Police matter but VOSA that deal with it, Having been stopped and weighed many times I can confirm that VOSA can not do anything about the weight as Volvo did not specify a maximum weight. The 240 does have max axle weights on the chassis plate and you will be fined for going over on that. Also if your towbar has a maximum weight stamped on it you must not exceed that
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 17:10   #7
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Im planning to use a trailer gross weight 1200kg plated, actual weight a lot less.
So looking for a decent old classic to do it.
331444150909 olvo of course, ancient landy a possibility too if I can find a decent one
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 17:45   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Well you are not going to have any issues there
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 12:30   #9
ScottOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
It is not a Police matter but VOSA that deal with it, Having been stopped and weighed many times I can confirm that VOSA can not do anything about the weight as Volvo did not specify a maximum weight. The 240 does have max axle weights on the chassis plate and you will be fined for going over on that. Also if your towbar has a maximum weight stamped on it you must not exceed that
Actually, Volvo did specify maximum towing weights, but the gross trailer weight volvoid wants to tow is right on this for the 144/5/64.

As promised, I consulted the original manual that came with my 164, and according to the driving tips booklet, the max trailer weight is 1200kg, with the downweight usually 10% of this (as you can see in the photo though in US markets it is slightly less).

Apologies for the perspective and the extremely shallow DoF. My scanner is broken, i had the aperture way too large and couldnt be bothered re-taking the photo. Maybe if I decide to scan and put into PDF, I'll fix this, but for now, I have attached a photo of the relevant page. Hope this helps.

Scott.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D75_8190.jpg (271.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg D75_8179.jpg (385.6 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by ScottOz; Jan 21st, 2015 at 13:00. Reason: Spelling/Grammar
ScottOz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScottOz For This Useful Post: