Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Recommended Engine Oil 2004 S60 P2 2.0 T SE

Views : 2658

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 24th, 2022, 07:19   #41
bigshorty48

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
do you have a record of when the last change was ?
No record of last oil change, I did pick the car up dirt cheap because of lack of history. Luckily my mechanic mate came with me when I viewed to look over it, make sure I wasn't buying a total heap.
bigshorty48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 07:29   #42
bigshorty48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Jury's out on that one, I used to flush every oil change but I was always aware that it can strip residue that then blocks oilways,

I haven't read back but if the OP has only had the car a while and it's his first oil change the sludge might be that the car has sat around a while before he bought it, I'd be tempted to change it again in a 1000 miles just to see what's in the filter this time.
My mechanic mate told me not to use engine flush for the very same reason you have mentioned. He said cars shouldn't really need it if service intervals are done regularly. I think I'd be too worried about blocking something if I used an engine flush, judging by the amount of crud in the filter housing.

You mention the car being sat around, I'm pretty sure this one had judging by the comments from the chap I bought it from. He said it was his Grandads car, but took him a while to accept he was too old to drive, so gave it to him. The previous owner then said he was struggling to insure it as he is a young driver, so I'm guessing there was a period of time from when the car was last used, to when it was sold. The standing around would also make sense as the front brake rotors / discs were warped, and in my experience this usually happens when a car has been sat up for a while.

I'll definitely do your suggestion of a repeat oil change in a 1000 miles or so, see if there is any crud in the filter housing then.

Last edited by bigshorty48; Jul 24th, 2022 at 07:41.
bigshorty48 is offline   Reply With Quote