Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

EPB service required- EPB not releasing

Views : 623

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 18:24   #1
kristian568

Default EPB service required- EPB not releasing

Hey…I have a question about the electronic parking brake on a Volvo V90 2017. A couple of months ago I changed the brake pads (front and rear) and a couple of weeks later an parking brake service required message popped up on my digital driver display. Parking brake was working okay even when the message was on the dashboard. Yesterday I started my car in the morning to go to work and the car is not moving anywhere, the red parking break light is blinking on the dash. After I checked things out the right hand rear wheel was locked by the break and the left one wasn’t. I can’t release or engage the EPB. I also checked the connectors that goes to the parking brake and one on the left side that didn’t engage seems to be broken in half but the cables are still in. Could this be the problem that EPB is not even releasing and I can’t move my car out of the garage? Or there could be any other problems?
kristian568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 18:39   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

You can unplug the cable to the EPB motor and use a 9v battery with two wires to wind the piston back to get you mobile again, the broken cable will be your problem, splice it back together which should be an easy fix.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 18:46   #3
Mad Malc

You must have wound back the rear pistons when you changed the pads. Use the same method now. The easy way is as above.
Mad Malc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad Malc For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 18:53   #4
kristian568

Thanks I’ll try the battery thing tomorrow and try to fix the connector. So it’s possible that even if the one motor isn’t working the whole EPB fails? Will I need VIDA to reset any error messages if I fix the issue or will the warnings disappear by themselves?

Last edited by kristian568; Jan 22nd, 2024 at 18:56.
Old Jan 22nd, 2024, 19:34   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

With a bit of luck once cable fixed and EPB operated via console swith a few times the light will go off, if not there are some inexpensive OBD scanners that will reset fault codes once the fault is fixed.

Video of the 9v battery hack. Obviously you only need to remove the electrical socket and nothing else as you are only winding off the EPB and not changing the pads.
https://youtu.be/8y54DKRHlAo?si=kummpYaZl8F-FIsx
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jan 22nd, 2024 at 19:43.
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 18:00   #6
kristian568

So I checked the connectors and they seem fine and I did the thing with the battery on both sides…I can drive now I guess the brakes are fully released cause I can’t hear any noises and the car isn’t moving slower… but the error on the dashboard is still there the car doesn’t even let me apply and release the brake so I guess I’ll have to take it to a friend to perform a reset over the OBD.Or is there anything else that I’m missing and the error should disappear by itself?
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 19:00   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

As the cables were okay it looks like it may need a software update/reset (which usually sorts out this fault) it is a fairly common issue and usually a quick fix but involves a trip to a Volvo garage to carry out the software update.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 13:53   #8
kristian568

Okay so I was at the dealership and they said that the EPB motor is not working properly so I will replace that and the issue should be fixed. In the mean time another problem appeared...When I tried to start the car in the morning it wouldn't start...I measured a battery and it showed 8.something V which is not nearly enough. Because this was the first battery and I never changed it I went and bought and installed a new one. After two days this battery went flat. Alternator is charging up to 14.55V and when I test for parasitic drain my amps meter didn't show anything unusual. 30-40 miliamps and here and there a spike to 80mamps(4-5 less than a second long spikes in an hour). Could it be the alternator? Like a bad diode or something or would that constantly drain the battery and not just cause some amp spikes? And there is no red battery symbol on the dash or anything..

Last edited by kristian568; Feb 7th, 2024 at 13:58.

Tags
epb motor, parking brake, parking brake error, v90, volvo