Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What oil do I need?

Views : 343

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2024, 15:25   #1
Desperate Dave

Default What oil do I need?

Newbie. Sorry if this has been covered but I cant find it if it has.

Back in June last year my 2010 V50 1.6 D Drive went into the garage for a mechanical DPF clean. Last week it once again went into limp mode and was diagnosed again as clogged DPF. The garage found a split inter cooler hose which was causing the DPF to clog with soot. They gave the DPF a clean (in situ)and cleared the fault codes. Ive got a hose on order which I will fit and will do a engine oil and filter at the same time.They suggested I should check and fill the Eolys tank if necessary.
I was wondering is there a definitive answer to 'does the V50 1.6 D have an Eolys system'? Or does it depend on the engine model etc. The garage were adamant that the car had but their diagnostics couldn't detect it, but thought it might be under a panel near the fuel tank.I haven't got under the car to look yet.
Does that have implications as to what engine oil I should use? I was going bog standard full synthetic 5w-30, but have seen things like A5/B5??? mentioned.
I dont have a hand book for the car.
Thank you.
Desperate Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 16:25   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperate Dave View Post

Back in June last year my 2010 V50 1.6 D Drive went into the garage for a mechanical DPF clean. Last week it once again went into limp mode and was diagnosed again as clogged DPF. The garage found a split inter cooler hose which was causing the DPF to clog with soot. They gave the DPF a clean (in situ)and cleared the fault codes. Ive got a hose on order which I will fit and will do a engine oil and filter at the same time.They suggested I should check and fill the Eolys tank if necessary.
I was wondering is there a definitive answer to 'does the V50 1.6 D have an Eolys system'? Or does it depend on the engine model etc. The garage were adamant that the car had but their diagnostics couldn't detect it, but thought it might be under a panel near the fuel tank.I haven't got under the car to look yet.
Does that have implications as to what engine oil I should use? I was going bog standard full synthetic 5w-30, but have seen things like A5/B5??? mentioned.
Thank you.
From 2010, Volvo didn't use an eolys tank and the DPF doesn't need to be replaced in the 1.6 diesel engines. Pre 2010, the 1.6 diesel needed a DPF replacement at 75k and an eolys fluid top-up.

You need 0w30 A5/B5 spec oil. Spec (A5/B5) is important, as using the wrong spec can cause DPF issues. Bog standard oil doesn't work well with DPF's, hence why Volvo said a specific oil is to be used from the factory.

Last edited by Kev0607; Feb 13th, 2024 at 17:23.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 16:45   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

Thank you.
From 2010 volvo didnt use an Eloys tank and the particle filter lasted for life.
the fact you called your car a 2010 DrivE suggests this is what you have.....

The 1.6 D up to 2010 does need the DPF changing every 72000 miles.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 17:26   #4
pinballdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
From 2010 volvo didnt use an Eloys tank and the particle filter lasted for life.
the fact you called your car a 2010 DrivE suggests this is what you have.....

The 1.6 D up to 2010 does need the DPF changing every 72000 miles.
It depends on the engine, mine is a MY2010 1.6D DRIVe with a D4164T engine and has an Eloys tank and the 75,000 mile DPF replacement interval, it's the later D2 DRIVe with the D4162T has the dry DPF that lasts for life.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 17:59   #5
Desperate Dave

Thank you All. Very helpful
Its the 108bhp 5 speed so has the Eolys,
And I will find the right oil.
Desperate Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 19:14   #6
Teddy1975

I was recommended to use the Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 A5 Stop-Start for my DPF-equipped 2.0D. It's fairly cheap and is Ford WSS-M2C913-C certified. Yep, I know my car doesn't have stop-start, fortunately, but this doesn't mean the oil can't be used
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 21:25   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you All. Very helpful
Its the 108bhp 5 speed so has the Eolys,
And I will find the right oil.
I take it you found the tank then?

Its interesting... I thought (and was clearly mistaken) that 2010 onwards, there were no eolys tanks or dpf's replacements required for these particular 1.6 diesel's. That's obviously not the case.
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 21:57   #8
ArkV50

Hey, I have a 2008 1.6D 109hp (with DPF and Eloys tank) and I use Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W-30.
ArkV50 is offline   Reply With Quote