Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's rattling?

Views : 1835

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 17:20   #1
Moosejaw
Premier Member

Default What's rattling?

My 240 has a rattle from its rear end, more from the driver's side. To describe the noise I'd say it's it's a deep pitch clunking sound, audible almost constantly when the car's moving, but not a particularly loud or violent one.
My 'man who can' has had a quick look when the car was up on his ramp last week, and after yanking on all the suspension arms, bars and brackets, can't find anything obviously loose or badly worn.
Are there any known spots where these cars develop rattles that aren't immediately obvious when you're looking for them? There were three of them on the job, one bouncing up & down inside the car, another hauling on the suspension, and one listening carefully.
The car's booked in on Wednesday to get its leaky gearbox fixed, any guesses where the search might be concentrated?
Moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 18:37   #2
redboy
Master Member

just a guess- could it be exhaust rattling against the axle or undercarriage?? Its on the driver's side. These can resonate against the undercarriage and produce strange noises.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 20:36   #3
Skunkola

Could it be an item in the o/s storage compartment under the boot floor? Other than that if nothing's loose then the exhaust touching the bodywork as suggested earlier sounds about right. Mine did once and rattled my bones all over shop...
Skunkola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 21:54   #4
Moosejaw
Premier Member

I hadn't really thought of the exhaust, but I'm pretty sure the exhaust's on the nearside/passenger side on my car, and the noise seems to be coming from the o/s.
It does sound more like something that's not part of the car's sprung mass hitting anything, if you know what I mean.
I'm fairly certain it's not anything in the boot either, the noise seems to be coming from underneath the car rather than in it.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 21:56   #5
wooble
Stay gold baby!

A common cause of clunking from rear suspension is worn out bushes on the upper control arms on the axle, I've seen it on my 240 and a customer's, it's not always evident when the car's on a ramp as the weight of the axle hanging on the arms restricts the movement and the bushes themselves are hard to inspect without removing the arms.

The customer who had this problem had bushes worn enough that when moving off, the axle was visibly moving about 1/2 inch forwards and backwards on the offside when moving off and stopping. It's not a particularly expensive repair, the bushes are about £8-10 each and they're fairly easy to fit.

Could well be an exhaust too, as others have said, it runs up the offside of the car then crosses over to the nearside right after the axle.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooble For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:04   #6
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Hi moosejaw..do you hear a clunk when pulling away from stationary..There are quite a few bushings fitted in connection with the rear axle..as described above..axle bushings..panhard rod bushings and the reaction rod bushings..all can cause the clunk you are describing ..My axles bushes were completely trashed but still would have not seen the extent of the damage had i not had to remove trailing arms..(hard to see them)...hj.

Last edited by honestjoe; Aug 11th, 2009 at 08:16.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 08:23   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Does it go away if you touch the brakes? I've always found them very prone to brake pads rattling on the pins, and the pins chattering in the caliper.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 15:52   #8
Moosejaw
Premier Member

No clunk when pulling away from rest, and it doesn't stop or get worse when I brake, accelerate or turn.
It's a much heavier noise than would be produced by brake pad pins too.
Like all noises it's hard to describe in words...
It's a deep, bassy clunk that happens all the time the car is moving, unless the road is billiard-table smooth, imagine a rat-a-tat-a-tat noise but deeper-sounding. Something fairly big is hitting something else fairly big, repeatedly, but without much force. May be the exhaust rattling against something, it's that sort of sound or some suspension part knocking on something else.
The suggestion of it being the upper control arma is something I'll pass on to the garage tomorrow when it's in, if these are hard to see from underneath it's possible they might have missed them.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 16:48   #9
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

also get them to check front wishbone bushes..these behave exactly like you described when worn out...cheers hj.
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 22:11   #10
PTJS
Master Member

I had and still have an interesting rattle which I eventually found the cause of. One of the retaining clips securing one side of the offside rear seat headrest had broken allowing the headrest to rattle when going over rough surfaces. This is one thats quite a way down the 'to do' list.

I get a clunk from the rear axle. Its not the hand brake shoes settling as I've adjusted these. So it looks like the anti roll bar bushes or more likely the reaction rod bushes as I have noticed there is quite a gap in the bush/its housing when I took the offside rear wheel off.

Cheers

Phil
PTJS is offline   Reply With Quote