Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does the 850 use CAN bus?

Views : 1076

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2022, 00:20   #1
KenAnderson

Default Does the 850 use CAN bus?

I do not own a Volvo.
I'm interested in getting an 850 wagon with the purpose of doing an EV conversion to it, but I do not want to deal with CAN bus issues.
I have used the search facility, but can't find an answer to my noob question: Does the 850 use CAN bus?

Thanks,
-Ken
KenAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 09:01   #2
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Hopefully someone with better knowledge will be able to confirm but as far as I'm aware it's not CANbus. The 850 did not even have an OBDII port (and whilst the subsequent V70 in '98 had an OBDII port it wasn't truly compliant). Wikipedia lists Mercedes as having the first CANbus vehicle in '91 and the 850 ran from 91 to 97. Haynes makes no mention of CANbus in the general info on fuel injection (Bosch LH3.2-Jetronic, Motronic 3.2 or Fenix 5.2 systems), ignition or body electrical systems or lighting.
I expect it would be quite hard to find a definitive statement 'The 850 does not have CANbus' as when it was first produced CANbus was hardly known, and neither would they advertise that it didn't have the latest innovation.

If you do go ahead I'd be interested to read how you get along, driving an old V70 the idea of an EV conversion did occur to me and whilst it will have its difficulties and may not make a totally ideal vehicle, when I considered even small cars like the Nissan Leaf they have similar power available and the 850/V70 should be able to accomodate a fair few batteries.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 12:59   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAnderson View Post
I do not own a Volvo.
I'm interested in getting an 850 wagon with the purpose of doing an EV conversion to it, but I do not want to deal with CAN bus issues.
I have used the search facility, but can't find an answer to my noob question: Does the 850 use CAN bus?

Thanks,
-Ken
No it doesn't that came in late 1998 on the S80 and from then onwards all models from then with the BLUE volvo front grille badge had it.
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 19:44   #4
Goupil

iirc the CAN appears with the electronic throttle body. So if it has a mechanical one (850, S/V/C70 up to somewhere in 98) it doesnt have CAN.
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 23:50   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Hopefully someone with better knowledge will be able to confirm but as far as I'm aware it's not CANbus. The 850 did not even have an OBDII port (and whilst the subsequent V70 in '98 had an OBDII port it wasn't truly compliant). Wikipedia lists Mercedes as having the first CANbus vehicle in '91 and the 850 ran from 91 to 97. Haynes makes no mention of CANbus in the general info on fuel injection (Bosch LH3.2-Jetronic, Motronic 3.2 or Fenix 5.2 systems), ignition or body electrical systems or lighting.
I expect it would be quite hard to find a definitive statement 'The 850 does not have CANbus' as when it was first produced CANbus was hardly known, and neither would they advertise that it didn't have the latest innovation.

If you do go ahead I'd be interested to read how you get along, driving an old V70 the idea of an EV conversion did occur to me and whilst it will have its difficulties and may not make a totally ideal vehicle, when I considered even small cars like the Nissan Leaf they have similar power available and the 850/V70 should be able to accomodate a fair few batteries.
my 850 hos an obd port under the coin holder.its the same shape as an obd 2 port but i believe its what they call obd zero or o not many readers can interface with it but there are some that can .
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2022, 01:38   #6
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
my 850 hos an obd port under the coin holder.its the same shape as an obd 2 port but i believe its what they call obd zero or o not many readers can interface with it but there are some that can .
I got the impression with the early V70 that the OBD port functioned by the same tech as the older two matchboxes under the bonnet of the 850 (hence the 'flash code reader' method of checking fault codes) and Volvo put the OBD port in ready for when they evolved the V70 a bit further to include functional OBDII.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
850, can bus