Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PHEV Increased range

Views : 19158

Replies : 115

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2021, 09:35   #21
Automatic Only

Very interesting development. My lease expires in January and I was looking to extend it a year but this certainly pushes the pendulum back towards going for a new vehicle. A very nice saving on tax to be had there.
A bit of a glass half empty way of looking at it but I think they've missed a trick by not building in capacity for faster charging. 18kwh even at 3.6kw is quite a long time to charge - if they were to facilitate rapid charging at say 50kw then it would be a potentially viable option to stop for charges on a longer journey and do almost the whole of it on electric only as you could probably get an 80+% charge in only about 20 minutes.
The additional electric power will be very welcome though - 87 bhp in a 2 tonne car is very sluggish to say the least, particularly at higher speeds!
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 09:36   #22
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
XC60…yes a fair point, I was thinking more about XC90. A mid year change is a bit odd, I can only assume that this power train upgrade wasn’t ready for the facelift or component delays due to COVID etc prevented everything being launched in one go. All the tooling and supplies were probably lined up for the new parts so could be delayed.
Also a bit odd given the new XC90 is due out which everyone thought would be out 2022 - you'd be surprised at a electric motor upgrade in the last 6 months of the current model.

Makes me wonder with all the fancy LIDAR tech etc that the chip shortages perhaps has delayed it's launch too....and more looking at 2023 for retail sales to filter in - which ties in nicely with a replacement for me in late 2023/early 2024
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design
Prev : MY05 XC90 D5 Mk1, Grey
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 10:05   #23
theronin

I didn't expect anymore updates from MY22 I suspect the motors should of been updated for MY22 but covid and supply issues put that back. Intestingly the rdesign pro and P*E now have the same engine spec according to the Volvo website.
theronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 10:06   #24
Automatic Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
I'm in the same boat as you. Playing the long game though....those that jump into this upgrade now will be crying when we pick up our SPA2's before them. We can then rejoice in the 200 mile range and the 550bhp of our new XC90's
I would not be jealous of anyone with a pure electric car that had a range of only 200 miles!
Minimum of 400 miles (real world) before I would begin to be interested in pure electric.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 10:40   #25
Whippy
Premier Member

It's all lovely, if you live in a city. If not once that battery is flat it's just yet more weight for that iddy biddy liddle petrol engine to lug around. No such thing as a free lunch I'm afraid.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 10:52   #26
segakid

Just cancelled my order (V60) as was told I couldn't amend it to include the new increased battery. Got told 'likely wouldn't get the car until late 2022, it would be more expensive, the deposit contribution is going to drop to 1k and they probably wont be able to return my deposit for my current order'. Also the extra range isn't worth it.

Safe to say they clearly aren't happy but, I can't justify spending a large amount of money on a car that is going to be improved markedly imminently.
segakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 11:09   #27
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic Only View Post
I would not be jealous of anyone with a pure electric car that had a range of only 200 miles!
Minimum of 400 miles (real world) before I would begin to be interested in pure electric.
I was guessing at the 200 miles given it's a big SUV - for sure, they might just shove EVEN more batteries to meet 400 miles to compensate

For a large number of people though, 200 miles exceeds the mileage they do on a weekly basis and many would cope, albeit would prefer more. Appreciate there's a minority that have 200+ mile daily commutes or do long trips every weekend.
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design
Prev : MY05 XC90 D5 Mk1, Grey
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 11:43   #28
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by segakid View Post
Just cancelled my order (V60) as was told I couldn't amend it to include the new increased battery. Got told 'likely wouldn't get the car until late 2022, it would be more expensive, the deposit contribution is going to drop to 1k and they probably wont be able to return my deposit for my current order'. Also the extra range isn't worth it.

Safe to say they clearly aren't happy but, I can't justify spending a large amount of money on a car that is going to be improved markedly imminently.
So how much was your deposit and have you now lost it ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 13:26   #29
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
I was guessing at the 200 miles given it's a big SUV - for sure, they might just shove EVEN more batteries to meet 400 miles to compensate

For a large number of people though, 200 miles exceeds the mileage they do on a weekly basis and many would cope, albeit would prefer more. Appreciate there's a minority that have 200+ mile daily commutes or do long trips every weekend.
I certainly wouldn’t rule out an SPA2 PHEV, it certainly won’t launch as BEV only.

I’d be happy with a 300hp petrol, 200hp ERAD, 200 mile range and fast charging, as specified by Soupytwister! Electric car for most occasions, long haul cruiser and insane overtaking all wrapped up in one!!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 16:47   #30
Maccaboy10

I’ve asked whether my build will have the new drivetrain and waiting feedback. I’ll cancel my XC60 order if it doesn’t, this is a fairly major update and I don’t want a car that is instantly outdated.
Maccaboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote