Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

PHEV Increased range

Views : 19037

Replies : 115

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2022, 03:20   #111
Fyreseats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyreseats View Post
Hi

Volvo has just advertised the new T8 PHEV as 57 miles now. Literally in the last few days. Whats going on? I thought it was 41mile increased range for 2022 MY. Is it now 57miles like volvo.com said?
Here is the link folks. Remember 2 things. 1 its official volvo website and 2 official XC90 PHEV ordering page with the specs just before you build the cars colour etc..

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/v/cars/xc90-hybrid
Fyreseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 18:14   #112
Obz331

I've been reading this thread with interest as I have a V60 Recharge on order through the company car scheme. It was ordered on 15/11/21

When I ordered it the spec for the powertrain was 253bhp with the motor
@ 87bhp taking the total to 340.

I've now looked on the Volvo website and with some digging (its not the best site for finding information) the 2022 spec is now 253+145

The above posts regarding reduced ICE power worry me as I will be towing. There does seem to be a large amount of confusion at the moment regarding powertrains and the fact I have little to do with the purchasing of my car other than ticking a box means I don't have the relationship with a dealer.
Obz331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 10:28   #113
Oop north

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyreseats View Post
Hi

Volvo has just advertised the new T8 PHEV as 57 miles now. Literally in the last few days. Whats going on? I thought it was 41mile increased range for 2022 MY. Is it now 57miles like volvo.com said?
Difficult to know, but I have got the impression that the new wltp figures give a (ahem) range of results. I understand the 41 is a midpoint but am not sure. With 19kWh capacity and not all of that being usable I really cannot see real world mileage being into the 50s, but in a wltp test with light load on the flat etc maybe it is possible. The only other phev SUVs getting over 50 range are the BMW X5 and Mercedes gle which I think both have much higher batteries.

My brother has an xc40 phev and he reckons on getting the official range fine in summer (27 miles) and 21 miles in winter. It’s the real world of course that matters not wltp (apart from tax)
Oop north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 11:30   #114
soupytwister
Master Member

From what I can see, the battery in the XC90 has increased from 11.6Kwh to 18.8Kwh. That's a 62% increase.

If we make an assumption that there's no snake oil improvements achievable, then an XC90 should see a 62% increase in range.

Given most XC90 T8 owners see around 20-25 miles, then the new real world range I'd expect to be in the region of 32-40 miles, all things being equal, but prepare for it being more towards the 32 end unless you drive in a manner to maximise range.

Of course, 18.8Kwh of battery brings extra weight to the equation, but think in broad terms, 32-40 miles would be a realistic expectation?? Volvo may have made some efficiency improvements which might increase it (or perhaps decrease it!).
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design
Prev : MY05 XC90 D5 Mk1, Grey

Last edited by soupytwister; Jan 7th, 2022 at 11:32.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 17:15   #115
tronicx83

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupytwister View Post
From what I can see, the battery in the XC90 has increased from 11.6Kwh to 18.8Kwh. That's a 62% increase.

If we make an assumption that there's no snake oil improvements achievable, then an XC90 should see a 62% increase in range.

Given most XC90 T8 owners see around 20-25 miles, then the new real world range I'd expect to be in the region of 32-40 miles, all things being equal, but prepare for it being more towards the 32 end unless you drive in a manner to maximise range.

Of course, 18.8Kwh of battery brings extra weight to the equation, but think in broad terms, 32-40 miles would be a realistic expectation?? Volvo may have made some efficiency improvements which might increase it (or perhaps decrease it!).
But... in the newer model (picking ours up tomorrow) - the 18.1kwh battery also comes with a 145bhp electric, so a bigger electric motor = more juice used getting around.

We get ours tomorow, so once we've run it for a week I'll post up some results with the new 18kwh/145 combo.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 17:51   #116
soupytwister
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronicx83 View Post
But... in the newer model (picking ours up tomorrow) - the 18.1kwh battery also comes with a 145bhp electric, so a bigger electric motor = more juice used getting around.
Yeah....be interesting to see your results. I'd have thought given the efficiency of electric motors, you'd only be using more juice if you drive it harder/faster. If you drive it in the same manner as the lower power electric motor, you'd see similar levels of electric usage.

Obviously when you first get it, you'll be sprinting off the line at full pelt just because you can, but over time, you'll not be using all the 145bhp as often and will more often than not be using a lot less.
Prev : MY17 XC90 D5 R-Design
Prev : MY05 XC90 D5 Mk1, Grey
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote