Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 863931

Replies : 6372

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 17:58   #1421
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
PM sent.
PM not got?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 21:12   #1422
jasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
I'm in the used (modern) market at the moment and prices are indeed crazy, made worse by the global chip shortage and other supply chain issues. Seeing 1 year old low-milers selling for more than new price. Admittedly this is for an EV, where the govt grant complicates matters a little. But I'm also seeing low mileage 9yo city cars (Up/Mii/Citigo) selling for around 50% of their new price!
yes, totally.

19 months ago I sourced a FSH VW UP! 2014 for 2200 for a relative (direct from the largest dealer network we all know)
1 month ago it was written off an they paid out 3750 for it!
My Uncle had 18 months free motoring an made 1500 profit lol.

I giggled at this, but then realised the market was rising faster than I could source good units and I said to him "Had I seen this rise coming I'd have had you push for more money as payout"

Anyway, I did source him a 2014 spaceback black edition 1.2tsi fsh for 3300, so overall he's had 18-months free motoring, a massive upgrade in spec performance and a larger size car with 2 extra doors and is a few hundred quid better off, and that's all thanks to the rising used car market.

I mean, to make 50% profit on a boggo 6/7 year old car an have 18-months free motoring out of it is just unheard of, I doubt we will see this again in our lifetimes?
jasons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 21:19   #1423
jasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A few hours with T-Cut or similar followed by a polish and then wax would have the paint bright and shiny again
Out of interest - How many shades of red are you (and anyone else) seeing on this car?

I can't work out if its just had both front wings an bonnet prev. paint, or that and half the nearside as well?
The boot is rather red, but it turns the corner on an angle so hardly an issue if the rears had paint before or not.

It will certainly shine up, in the trade they call it a BS-Shine lol, I'm not sure how many shades of red you'd see under a streetlight mind, but at the 3k end of the market I'm not sure it really matters much anyway as long as it has a good shine like you say.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2021, 21:45   #1424
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons View Post
Out of interest - How many shades of red are you (and anyone else) seeing on this car?

I can't work out if its just had both front wings an bonnet prev. paint, or that and half the nearside as well?
The boot is rather red, but it turns the corner on an angle so hardly an issue if the rears had paint before or not.

It will certainly shine up, in the trade they call it a BS-Shine lol, I'm not sure how many shades of red you'd see under a streetlight mind, but at the 3k end of the market I'm not sure it really matters much anyway as long as it has a good shine like you say.
You and i know both know it's a fugitive colour and depending on solar exposure over the years, there are likely to be umpteen different shades of red - i stopped counting at about 7 just on one pic!

Best thing is to mop it and polish it or as you call it, a cowshed confetti shine. Just make sure the top is well sealed with a good wax so the punter isn't back in 6 months complaining about the paint colour fleeing the car faster than illegal immigrants are exiting Calais onto the English Channel!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 06:44   #1425
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The Bolton chap’s 240 only made £4,800 this time - not reaching its reserve - quelle surprise. I don’t suppose it matters.

Alan
The Bolton chap's 'absolute gem' is being put through the strainer again:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234316573...4AAOSw3VBhmnBY

I notice bidding is going quite briskly this time (8 bids from 7 bidders yesterday) so perhaps the Bolton Shill-Bidding Society (BS-BS) is back from its annual leave?

:-)
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 07:16   #1426
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:

I notice bidding is going quite briskly this time (8 bids from 7 bidders yesterday) so perhaps the Bolton Shill-Bidding Society (BS-BS) is back from its annual leave?

Love it!!!
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 08:34   #1427
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Another old bus, this time a 1993 Torslanda estate:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115109969...53.m1438.l2649

... I'd have thought it would be similar to the estate car above that didn't make its reserve at £3,220. This one would also be in the upper half of the middling cars - so it might make £3,000 if the guide is right.

Bidding is so hard to predict, the estate car above attracted 52 bids in 4 days, this one only 12 bids in 6 days - I suppose it is just down to who is in the room when the hammer drops.

In view of the discussion above (odd wheel and so on) £3,000 is a bit too much for this motor car. It would be firmly in the middling category, so about £2,500.
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 08:48   #1428
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
In view of the discussion above (odd wheel and so on) £3,000 is a bit too much for this motor car. It would be firmly in the middling category, so about £2,500.
Aye, that's about it!

Geography can be a factor for some I suppose. ULEZ is the same for people close by as well ,as potential purchasers.
If you think about it , you'd have to pay the charge just to fetch it!

Harsh!

Last edited by Moomoo; Dec 4th, 2021 at 09:02.
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 08:53   #1429
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Just noticed, BOTH front wheels are steel, one trim , one not!
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 11:09   #1430
jasons

Quote:

On the face of it that looks like a really good one, if it is as good as he alludes it to be then he is missing a trick by not detailing the servicing and condition more, but above all pitching it to the mean fisted eBay brigade is never going to get premium money, not when there’s so many better places to pitch a genuinely nice car - assuming it is.

Am I way off in thinking that if the write up was a lot better and he was pitching it in the correct places rather than eBay then this would be sitting with a 7500 price tag?
Yet on eBay I’d have thought with the write up as it is maybe genuine bidding at 5k, maybe 6 but it feels a bit risky at 6 without a person seeing it in the flesh
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jasons For This Useful Post: