Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car nearly dies when pressing clutch

Views : 2528

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2016, 14:24   #1
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Default Car nearly dies when pressing clutch

Hiya, not sure what's going on, but whilst changing gears and sometimes slowing down at traffic lights, the cars revs drop below idle and as low as 100-200 rpm. It dosent happen all the time either.

I cannot see anything obvious...
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 15:22   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Carb or injection? Turbo?
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 16:13   #3
Anadinolin
VOC Member

B18u monopoint hehe
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 17:55   #4
dcw
VOC Member

Does it recover itself? I have had this on occasion over the years on the various 480s I have had: you de-clutch to change gear and the car nearly stalls, then recovers itself.

I have found that quite often cleaning the throttle body helps, to ensure that the valve is opening and closing cleanly.

Don't know if that's any help at all...

Hope you can sort it!

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 18:30   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadinolin View Post
Hiya, not sure what's going on, but whilst changing gears and sometimes slowing down at traffic lights, the cars revs drop below idle and as low as 100-200 rpm. It dosent happen all the time either.

I cannot see anything obvious...
most likely the idle control motor not working . can you see the throttle open on the "carb" ready for the next cold start when someone turns the engine off ?
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 20:07   #6
dingov70
Master Member

Hum , just like to ask does the engine revs remain low as long as the clutch pedal is depressed or does it rise of its own will ? . The reason for asking was a car came through me hands recently that the clever people with laptops could not cure . With the engine running & the bonnet open , the owner pressed the clutch pedal & i could see the crank pulley move " forwards " because the crank thrust bearigns had worn through , a symptom of being used as a taxi for many years . It is a very quick check to make & eliminate the engine binding up when the crank moves , it is almost the same as the engine seizing in effect .
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 20:35   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Hum , just like to ask does the engine revs remain low as long as the clutch pedal is depressed or does it rise of its own will ? . The reason for asking was a car came through me hands recently that the clever people with laptops could not cure . With the engine running & the bonnet open , the owner pressed the clutch pedal & i could see the crank pulley move " forwards " because the crank thrust bearigns had worn through , a symptom of being used as a taxi for many years . It is a very quick check to make & eliminate the engine binding up when the crank moves , it is almost the same as the engine seizing in effect .
The idle control should overcome the drop in rpm easily even if the thrust washers are worn away , worth checking out too if the throttle motor is working ok .
Old Mar 6th, 2016, 22:19   #8
captainslow

Is it an electronic speedo model? If so & the speedo is not working due to loose connection then I have experienced that causing this behaviour on my previous 480.
captainslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 07:51   #9
Anadinolin
VOC Member

It's a cable speedo, unfortunately that has snapped as of two nights ago.

The rpms recover themselves back to the normal idle (900rpm) and the idle is stable in neutral and with clutch depressed. Car starts first time aswell.

I will need to check that the butterfly has opened next weekend as it is now in its weekly lockup and I'm going to Plymouth for work this week.

How would I check crank thrust bearings and washers/crank pulley what am I looking for?
Old Mar 7th, 2016, 11:11   #10
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Had this on my 440, I got a module from a Renault breakers. As per what Clan says

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote