Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Droning noise - wheel bearings?

Views : 6821

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2013, 22:03   #1
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Droning noise - wheel bearings?

Hi guys,

We've just returned from a 3,000 mile round trip to Italy but, for most of that journey, we've endured a droning noise from one (or more) of our wheels.

We know it's not the gearbox as, when we depress the clutch, the droning continues (manual gearbox).

We can't work out which wheel(s) are making the sound. Just before we left for our holiday the Volvo dealer completed £400 repairs to strip down and replace rear brake cables, calipers and parts which they said had siezed / jammed on the rear brakes (we asked them to investigate why the parking brake was not holding the car).

We wonder if the heat build up from that problem has caused a wheel bearing failure on one / both of the rear wheels?

Anyway.....
  1. do you think wheel bearings are the problem?
  2. how can we best ascertain which wheel(s) are at fault?
  3. how expensive would it be to fix?
  4. is it better to use our dealer or the family's independent garage (that we use for our Vectra / Peugeot)?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Really...
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 12:21   #2
NCS XC90

Not much help but I too have the same problem. Oddly I too had a stuck calliper a few months ago and I'm fairly certain the noise is coming from the same side. I was initially worried that the noise was the diff but I'm now certain it’s a wheel bearing. I think its coming from the one that was stuck but there is a little bit of a leap of faith with this. I'll be changing (or trying to change mine next weekend). Will let you know how I get on. Does the drone have a rotational sound to it which speeds up the faster you go?
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 15:09   #3
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

I had a droning wheel bearing last year, as soon as the car was on the lift and the wheels spun it was obvious , os rear, local garage charged £200
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to galloot633 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 17:27   #4
Arianne
Premier Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the sound is speed sensitive and builds up the faster we go. It is most intrusive at about 50mph.

£200 is bearable (excuse the pun) but I suspect my Volvo dealer would be way more expensive. I am tempted to use the Indy for this repair. Surely a wheel bearing is the kind of repair that a non-dealer would be able to fix without any problems?

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 18:34   #5
raife

Im in exactly the same position. Sometimes droning can be from "stepped" wear on tyres, especially the rear. You can tell by running your flat palm around the edge of the inner tyre.

Bearings are on ebay for around £80 or £130 for the complete kit.

Im sure there is a thread on here that explains how to do it.
raife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 19:17   #6
GJB
Premier Member

Very easy DIY job a how to do is on here somewhere get them from FRF Swansea don't forget to mention web site to get discount if you know if it is front or rear sound travels very well through the chassis so hard to pinpoint which bearing, but once stripped out easy to do.
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2013, 20:14   #7
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Perhaps the worn tyres?

Folks,

Thanks for the replies, really.

I read Raife's post about tyre stepping. I popped out to run my hand across the rear tyres and I can't detect anything odd. The wear is uniform in a linear direction (length ways) but the outside edges are noticibly more worn than the inner edges - not crazy but noticable.

But all four are now well worn. They're Nokian NRVi. The rears are worn to between 2-3mm so are nearly finished. I was hoping to nurse them through to October and then get a complete new set of winters.

I am now thinking that I should change the tyres first, before tackling the wheel bearing. Maybe the 'god of motoring' will smile on us and it'll be the droning of the worn tyres rather than the bearings? We will need to change the tyres anyway so nothing will be lost.

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 26th, 2013, 18:41   #8
NCS XC90

I waited for fresh tyres and made no difference. Noise getting louder now to the extent I'm pretty sure which side it is. As per the post above when I lift the car and spin the wheel I can here a rub (although it does have a sound of the disk backing plate touching the disk).
If you think its the tyres try swapping the front with the back - I tried this and made no difference either. From a point of view of who should change it, for me its a DIY job (famous last words - can see that drive shaft being welded into the bearing especially sinse it got very hot with a stuck caliper). I don't see a need for it to be completed by Volvo as there's not codes etc to reset - an right up an indy's street if you don't fancy it yourself.
Neil
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 13:59   #9
NCS XC90

Well, just changed the drivers side at the back. Took around 2 and a half hours but no real problems. Niose no different. Bit miffed. Looks like it will have to go to a garage as I cannot identify were the niose is coming from.
Neil
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 18:55   #10
raife

i read online that the nearside rear is a common culprit.

Pretty sure thats where mine is from.
raife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raife For This Useful Post:

Tags
drone, parking brake, wheel bearings