Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Delivery News

Views : 75771

Replies : 617

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2022, 21:36   #481
ian77

Having just done the run up the M1/A1 from Sheffield to Newcastle I agree completely with your assessment S90, the MY23 is better in almost every way on the V60 too! The power delivery is seamless and almost polestar 2 like instant off the line and everything feels solid and well put together. The only quibble is the indeed the tiny center console, I find my 14 pro max sits nicely over the cup holders with the lid retracted. Would also be nice if there was enough space under the boot floor for the cables.
The Following User Says Thank You to ian77 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 21:43   #482
vonRypp

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Some observations so far.

Interior lighting is much better. Ok, no coloured theatre lighting, but I prefer plain white. The ambient lighting, especially in the glove box area is brighter.

Build quality has improved vastly. In the S90, if the drivers window was lowered and you got out and shut the door, the window rattled. In the new car in the same scenario, solid thud.

Centre console, build quality better, tighter, but the storage under the armrest is quite frankly SH*TE! I have an Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max and it won't fit. However, the bluetooth audio is fine, so I won't use CarPlay so not a massive issue.

They have added a remote release for the fuel filler, but removed the dial to change the brightness of the screens, likely because they have adaptive brightness and the adjuster was likely never used by most.

The B&W audio is epic, even over BT.

The door mirrors are much quieter when they fold.

The door locking is quieter, but still loud enough you can hear it and you know its locked.

My wife states 'remember to unplug the car before you drive off' lol, I had visions of me forgetting and taking half the garage with me. The car won't even start if the cable is plugged in, phew!

The ventilated seats work better that my last model.

The HUD is better and clearer.

Everything boots up waaaaay faster, literally instant. Used to take a good 1-1.5 mins for SENSUS to fully boot.

Laminated windows DO make a difference despite what I thought in the past.

NVH is much improved. You literally CANNOT hear the engine during normal driving, everything feels much more solid. The hybrid drive train is amazing, smooth and seamless. Gear changes are much quicker and the old lag you used to get in Comfort Mode is gone, you put your foot down and its off!!

All in all a huge improvement and upgrade and feels so much more premium.
When I specc'ed the car I noticed that the interior lighting is stated as "colour", so I think, the hardware is there, just still waiting for the software to add the feature.

I agree with you on the armrest storage. I have an iPhone 12 Pro and it barely fits, if it is plugged in via the USB C port. I hope the wireless CarPlay will come soon. Regarding the brightness, I wish I could lower it, it's way too bright for me. I am sure there is a way to adjust the brightness, just I have not found it yet (I wasn't looking for it to be honest).

What I really miss is the screen mirroring of the CarPlay navigation/music to the main cluster, but I think it will come eventually.

The B&W is cool, I also love it, but I wonder if you could hear the difference with Tidal.
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 21:47   #483
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonRypp View Post
When I specc'ed the car I noticed that the interior lighting is stated as "colour", so I think, the hardware is there, just still waiting for the software to add the feature.

I agree with you on the armrest storage. I have an iPhone 12 Pro and it barely fits, if it is plugged in via the USB C port. I hope the wireless CarPlay will come soon. Regarding the brightness, I wish I could lower it, it's way too bright for me. I am sure there is a way to adjust the brightness, just I have not found it yet (I wasn't looking for it to be honest).

What I really miss is the screen mirroring of the CarPlay navigation/music to the main cluster, but I think it will come eventually.

The B&W is cool, I also love it, but I wonder if you could hear the difference with Tidal.
I don't think my ears are good enough to hear the difference to be honest lol. CarPlay nav has never been shown on the drivers display, it may come, but probably only if you use Google maps on the phone, if you use Apple Maps, I doubt it.

I can live with the storage tray, and we don't lose any cargo space like other manufacturers do in their Hybrids.
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 21:50   #484
Harrydog01

Have you tried a usb stick for the audio yet?
Harrydog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2022, 21:57   #485
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrydog01 View Post
Have you tried a usb stick for the audio yet?
I’ve never used a USB stick for music. This car is USB C only, but it’s not something I need.
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 00:17   #486
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
I had a D4 first, stick it in individual mode to get over the lag, I think. It also had the base audio, and in the 3 yrs I had it I found it ok, the S90 I have has the HK system, better rears and a sub, but the B&W is on another level. But, like I've said, you're in a car with A LOT of ambient noise, nothing is going to be able to produce acoustics the same as a good system in a room.

The S90 has massage, I never use it. The V & S90 now its not an option, so I guess they're gone from this series. Both cars are due replacing in 2024 so it will be interesting if Volvo keep them. The S60 has gone due to lack of sales in the UK, I think the S90 and V90 will be next and we will be forced to get SUV's, but they may keep them as I can't see BMW canning the 5 series or MB the E Class or Audi the A6, all of which the 90 cars are competing with.

If the American market is anything to go by I suspect the new S/V 90 range will be lwb and the S/V 60's will be slightly larger than they are now, as Geeley is the parent and the Chinese adore large saloons I don't think they will remove them from the range anytime soon and especially with quite a few other American & Chinese car makers actually investing in large saloons there seems to be a market for them still even if it's not the UK but it's inevitable eventually that every company will make a transparent egg on it's side with 4 wheels in 4 different sizes and we can all experience what it was like to be the front gunner in a Lancaster.

I had Sensus in mine,I found it pretty good tbh, lots of functionality and although as you said slow to boot once up it was fine, mine wasn't that bad as I remember it 30 seconds tops and the lines would vanish and the boxes appear, I did delete most of the junk apps though and turned off auto updating.

Sales wise I think the price hikes have killed the car for most people who would've liked a S60, it's probably more to do with they can't fully build one right now due to the chip shortages and lets face it if the choice is sell a Polestar 2 or an XC90 those models will always get 1st dibs on the parts bin.

Anyway the weekend is here so I guess you'll be out and about in her today and dare I say it hitting it with the hose and wax Sunday.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 07:21   #487
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Wall box was £1500 all in. Im not sure I'll ever recoup that. Electric bills, mmm, we are about £350 per month at the mo, but we both work from home and there is a lot of tech in the house. I worked out it costs about £7 to fully charge, which is a lot for the 40 real range, but in hybrid mode its different, it helps the engine, so if its driven normally and gently, well, I expect my average MPG to easily be in the 45-55mpg.

In the S90 T5 I avg 38
Have a look at maybe switching to an EV electric tariff, I'm on a pretty decent one with Octopus Energy that gives me a 4 hour window overnight where it costs me 7.5p/kwh. I charge my car overnight and a full battery charge costs me about £2.20, if I charge during the day it would be around the same cost as you are at.
The good bit with the cheap overnight electricity is we set our dishwasher and washing machine to run during that time too so even bigger savings!!

My much less aerodynamic XC60 is currently showing over 70mpg average since I bought the thing in June and I dont drive for economy, if I did it would likely be much higher.
Its actually pretty economical for a big heavy car even when the battery is empty at which point it drives just like any self charging hybrid.
I recently drove back to Norfolk from Shropshire (220ish miles) and averaged 44mpg sitting at the national speed limit +10-15 the majority of the time starting with a full battery. Pretty decent really and as the V90 is less of a brick, it should do better.

And yes, Volvo in their infinite wisdom kept the onboard charger the same 3.6kw unit as when the battery was much, much smaller. Not that much of an issue in a 10.4 or 11.6 kwh battery but now its 18.8 (of which I regularly put in 17kwh's when empty), if they had just upgraded to a 7.2kw charger like pretty much every other PHEV is at a minimum, our charging would be done in half the time. Yet another cost saving exercise but never mind........

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 11:12   #488
S90
IT Guru

Gave the one drive mode, it’s fab.

Can’t switch to octopus at the mo, and last time I checked their normal rate would make the ev rate pointless for us.

Spent the last hour setting up key and Google and VoC App for the two of us, what a palaver that was, but done now.
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 11:53   #489
sk546
Master Member

Quote:

Can’t switch to octopus at the mo, and last time I checked their normal rate would make the ev rate pointless for us.

Spent the last hour setting up key and Google and VoC App for the two of us, what a palaver that was, but done now.
Agreed, its a bit of an ordeal but once its done, its done!! (unless you have to do a factory reset for any reason......)

I think we managed to lock in on a better deal than is currently available with Octopus but its definitely worth a look if/when your current tariff is up for renewal.

Now go and enjoy the drive!! Give Power mode a good go, the response is superb!! Once when doing the first overtake in my new car, it picked up so much faster than my older car did, I almost went into the back of the car in-front as I wasnt expecting it to just instantly go!!

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 12:34   #490
Ian0803

Quote:

The energy companies don't give anything for free. I had an EV and switching to a dual tariff would have resulted in a significant hike in my annual bill. They really load the daytime tariff and if you don't do sufficient miles to offset the extra cost, its not worth going for a dual tariff
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian0803 For This Useful Post: