Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fuel Flap

Views : 647

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2014, 15:53   #1
3tymer

Default Fuel Flap

The flap on the fuel tank on my 2008 V70 D5 diesel - which by the way, I love driving - opens by itself occasionally, but as far as I can tell only overnight when parked on the drive. No evidence of syphoning or skulduggery.

Any ideas, please, as to what is happening?
3tymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 14:54   #2
chris-oxon

Don't know if the later model is the same design, but on mine (late ph2 model)the plastic retaining lugs holding the spring can break, which results in the flap just flopping about. When you're driving the central locking engages the flap which then stays shut. Similarly after you park and lock the car, the lock should engage the flap after 5-10 minutes and stop it flapping. Had mine fixed at the last service. All the dealers seem to keep a supply of these parts as its a known weak point, and the complete hinge has to be replaced. Be surprised if the later model is any different....
The Following User Says Thank You to chris-oxon For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:25   #3
3tymer

Default Fuel Flap

Chris
Thank you. I will try WD40 on the spring/catch mechanism.
I am wondering if temperature and contraction in the heat/cold would affect a poorly-engaged locking pin as well.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 20:01   #4
chris-oxon

I think you should be able to easily see if the locking pin is working by locking the car with the fuel flap open and seeing if the pin slides across (after about 5 minutes when the dead-locks operate). If not try WD40? If that doesn't work you may have a defective solenoid as well?

Following link shows the hinge and spring mechanism - where you can see the spring held by the plastic lugs.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=V7...w=1440&bih=708
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 21:20   #5
3tymer

Thaanks again, Chris. I'll follow that up. The service is due next week so I can find out what might be the problem then ask the garage to fix it.

Of course, it hasn't happened for 10 days now!