Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

which denso plugs and gap please

Views : 3778

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2022, 08:10   #11
Joe Harding
Premier Member

A 340 with single point normally aspirated LPG. Been brilliant for economy for a number of reasons - more range per fill, half the cost of petrol and less need to change engine oil (hardly bother now). But we have been bugged by poor idle - sometimes cutting out when decelerating. That isn't entirely sorted but the lack of power issues were seen to by using smaller gap plugs - 0.7mm as you suggested. This has improved fuel economy too - as there is a better burn, there is more power so less need to put the throttle down so far.
So your suggestion was a win all round. Thank you again.
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 09:45   #12
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Out of interest what is the reason LPG runs poor on multi point plugs?

Hope all is working ok now?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2023, 14:22   #13
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
A 340 with single point normally aspirated LPG. Been brilliant for economy for a number of reasons - more range per fill, half the cost of petrol and less need to change engine oil (hardly bother now). But we have been bugged by poor idle - sometimes cutting out when decelerating. That isn't entirely sorted but the lack of power issues were seen to by using smaller gap plugs - 0.7mm as you suggested. This has improved fuel economy too - as there is a better burn, there is more power so less need to put the throttle down so far.
So your suggestion was a win all round. Thank you again.
No worries, as said watch the coil-packs too. Expect them to go at some point. Petrol will be more tolerant with an iffy one, gas won't. If one is going AWOL pull the plug on each one until you DON"T detect a change.
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 16:56   #14
mickey21

Denso K20TT, simple one electrode spark plug with the factory gap and works perfect.

Before that, there were Bosch triple electrode spark plugs inside, I bought the car with them and also had no problems.

I have also heard that for CNG and LPG, singe electrode spark plug is preferred.
mickey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2023, 07:53   #15
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

In short LPG/CNG is a different fuel. It require a different mindset to use well. For whatever reason, buyers seem to be happy to see the differences and account for these with EV, and not with LPG.

If the first EVs had been converted on the cheap from petrol, by people under rail-arches, and used by those too idle to understand the differences, we'd be hearing mutterings of how bad EVs are too.

Instead, it appears they've broadly won. LPG is set to wither on the vine. And because EVs are green at the exhaust pipe, we're told they're green. Are they actually any greener? The car itself is all 'orrible toxic metals mined in places controlled by the Chinese. On this they're worse, and a lot worse.

My point hardly matters, we're getting them anyway.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Sep 26th, 2023 at 07:55.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote