Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil level too high - sold the car!

Views : 9287

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2022, 07:11   #31
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyman View Post
In the days when diesels were becoming more popular a simple rule of thumb was that you need to be doing about 20k per year to justify the additional cost of a diesel.
I don't get where did you find this rule.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chudy85 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 08:10   #32
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudy85 View Post
I don't get where did you find this rule.
It was regularly quoted in Fleet Management publications.

In essence, at the time 80s and 90s, a diesel car was about £1k more than a equivalent petrol and to get this back over the life of the vehicle you needed to do about 20k miles per year.
Old Jun 16th, 2022, 10:02   #33
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Some interesting views in this thread,

The dpf regen dilution is a real thing and unavoidable as the regen is basically over fuelling the engine but there is an avoidance tactic you can deploy,

What I've always done with a dpf car is to every 200 miles do my own active one, I get on the motorway and with a warm engine I get to 70 mph and then drop gears until the rev counter is on 3000 rpm, I'll then leave it like that for 10 minutes, I've never had a blocked light come on on me,

Pugs, I bought a new one 30 years ago and lets say there will never be another or anything else that is a Stellantis brand car until it's proven they've up'd the quality of their cars in the brands they now own,

VAG & Skoda, VAG were the go to 15 years ago when the B5 1.9's were king, since they went to the 2.0's thing's aren't so good, I owned a B5 based Superb and bought a B6 Passat on the strength of it, bad move totally different animal and couldn't wait to get shot of,

Derv miles payback, as mentioned they used to say you need to do high miles to justify it, today it's not the same as back then derv was 25% cheaper than petrol at the pump, my first one in 1989 it was £1.50 a gallon and the Fosters was £2.10 in addition to a ratio of 40 mpg urban vs 25 mpg although the turbo fitting has reduced that figure somewhat these days, as the saying goes...speeds just a question of money, how fast do you want to go?

This is my first dip in a Volvo, I always wanted one and it was a close run thing last time when I was after an S80 nine years ago but couldn't justify the deal vs the Vauxhall I eventually bought, I was after another Vx but the spec I wanted was hens teeth and those that were available were priced too close to my Volvo to ignore the depreciation factor getting out the other end, I also couldn't resist it once I'd seen the land yacht as it is a real statement car imo, time will tell if it was a good move or not,

For the OP, I hope your car behaves and you have many trouble free years from her, the two things I really liked about the Pugs are they always made a nice seat and the chassis was always super hang on enabled.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 07:08   #34
lat002
Les

Default DPF, Regen

As reported previously, I have similar issues with my V60 Cross Country D4, (2020). I think the main problem is that Volvo don’t provide adequate instrumentation to manage DPF (diesel particulate filter) regeneration. I’ve resorted to using an ELM327 reader and the Car Scanner app on my mobile phone. I can monitor soot % building up over time. This usually takes about a fortnight in my case to get to 100% (this will depend on mileage and journey type). At that point I must get upto speed preferably on the motorway, to regenerate the DPF which completes in around 10 minutes. I’ve never seen the car start the regeneration at less than 100% soot reading so having a run on a motorway won’t solve the problem unless you manage to catch that soot level at the same time. I’ve needed 1 oil change due to over full notification (under warranty). Elsewhere on this forum it’s said that Volvo will only do this twice under warranty and then they’ll charge you. When this work was done the technician said I’m not doing enough miles and that I should be doing 20k per year to avoid this problem. I’m only doing about 8k at the moment. If you search the forums for DPF you’ll get lots of threads giving more info. I still believe Volvo don’t provide the things we need to manage this (such as a dip stick and coolant temperature). They could easily provide more information in the car status app.
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 09:47   #35
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It’s not really how many miles you do per year, it’s the ratio of miles driven accelerating a slowing down around town versus sat at a steady speed on A roads and motorways. The volvo DPF implementations on their own engines are amongst the best around and whilst they do still need an occasional stretching of the legs, if you are experiencing regular regenerations then in many cases there is another underlying issue causing excess soot.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 10:55   #36
lat002
Les

Smile DPF Regen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
It’s not really how many miles you do per year, it’s the ratio of miles driven accelerating a slowing down around town versus sat at a steady speed on A roads and motorways. The volvo DPF implementations on their own engines are amongst the best around and whilst they do still need an occasional stretching of the legs, if you are experiencing regular regenerations then in many cases there is another underlying issue causing excess soot.
Agreed. The last time my DPF needed regeneration I went onto the motorway but got severely slowed down in gueuing traffic which was frustrating, however the car still did a full regen even with low speeds and some stops within 10 minutes. So yes it is impressive doing regens. Please Volvo give us a Car Status app update to include soot % reading🤞
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 20:57   #37
Chudy85
Volvo family member

They will never do it for us. We have to manage it for ourselves. There isn't legal requirements to do so and they will not put any resource to that 😉
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 08:09   #38
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat002 View Post
They could easily provide more information in the car status app.
They could but it's unlikely that they will. The vast majority of owners will not encounter this problem and some of those that do won't care enough to ask Volvo to provide this information.

Adding this feature to the car status app will require design, coding, testing and support which have costs which Volvo won't want to spend on a feature for which there's relatively little demand.
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 12:09   #39
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

I'm of the opinion that Volvo has own goal'd itself removing both the dipstick and the temp gauge in higher than Momentum specs, I guess they're working on their typical owner never pulls the bonnet release during their ownership and has the recovery on speed dial even for a puncture,

As for dpf monitoring I fail to see why there isn't any on any car basically, if you knew for sure your can was 50% full you'd take preventative measures in advance to clear it, as it stands you rely on a pre set program to automatically do it in a way that isn't healthy for the car anyway, the best regen is one where the exhaust temp can burn it off without extra squirt being required, extra squirt aka active regen shouldn't be how it happens, if it was me I would have a message come up when a regen is needed to state if you don't clean me now you're not getting any tea and don't even think about the other thing on your mind M'laddie, I'd call it the Err Indoors warning.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 19:33   #40
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
They could but it's unlikely that they will. The vast majority of owners will not encounter this problem and some of those that do won't care enough to ask Volvo to provide this information.

Adding this feature to the car status app will require design, coding, testing and support which have costs which Volvo won't want to spend on a feature for which there's relatively little demand.
completely agree