Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 D5 excessive crankcase pressure, Turbo leaking oil

Views : 1800

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2023, 19:02   #1
Thomasd258

Default XC60 D5 excessive crankcase pressure, Turbo leaking oil

Hi,

My XC60 2013 D5 has excessive crankcase pressure so after reading a few forums and watching YouTube videos I thought I'd replace the pcv and give the car a good service.

But after doing so I still have alot of crankcase pressure. I'm out of ideas what it could be! Any help on what to look at next would be great !

https://youtu.be/xQ1aI5q4-TM

Before doing the service and pcv the car was dumping ALOt of oil into the air intake via the heater nipple after the pcv.

Thanks

Last edited by Thomasd258; Jun 7th, 2023 at 19:23.
Thomasd258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 19:12   #2
Thomasd258

[QUOTE=Thomasd258;2899382]Hi,

My XC60 2013 D5 has excessive crankcase pressure so after reading a few forums and watching YouTube videos I thought I'd replace the pcv and give the car a good service.

But after doing so I still have alot of crankcase pressure. I'm out of ideas what it could be! Any help on what to look at next would be great !

https://youtu.be/xQ1aI5q4-TM

Before doing the service and pcv the car was dumping ALOt of oil into the air intake via the heater nipple after the pcv.

Thanks

Just found something but horrific to add to this, back if the engine is leaking oil like a tap when started up by the turbo. Would a failed turbo cause issues like this?
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 10:24   #3
Bromie

Have you checked your vacuum lines and/or pump for leaks? Any leaks in the system would effectively keep pumping an excess of positive pressure into the engine and present similar symptoms.

Have you noticed the tell-tale 'squeaky rattle' when pressing the brakes at idle? There is a particular one way valve which is a very common fail, and causes the EGR mixer plate (I believe) to rattle as the pressure pulses.

Alternatively you could have a split in a vacuum line somewhere, which can be tested methodically with a cheap vacuum pump. Older XC60s also had vacuum-powered engine mounts which were prone to failing and leaking, but I can't remember when they went to solid mounts. If yours has them, it may be a place to check.
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 11:19   #4
Thomasd258

No I haven't checked that. Is there a diagram about the vacuum pipe lines as I'm unsure which ones they are.

Where can I get a cheap vacuum pump to test it?

Thanks
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 11:20   #5
Thomasd258

The car began to whistle under load about 20 miles before it pooped itself. But very quiet whistle that's why I thought it was the pcv and I replaced that but didn't notice any split in the pcv
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 12:40   #6
Bromie

I suppose the PCV is doing it's job then and the main issue is the excessive pressure in the crankcase.

I got my pump from Amazon. I think it was around £20 and is also used for bleeding brakes.

I don't have access to Vida unfortunately, but (depending on the model of your engine, as it varies over the years) the vacuum pump is located right behind the fuel pump on the right side of the engine and looks like this:

The large hose at the top leads to the brake booster and then tees off to the boost control valves, etc. The nipple on the front of the pump leads to the EGR throttle near the front of the engine.

Unless someone can provide better diagrams, the best place to start is to find the large diameter hose on top of the pump - it is then fairly easy to chase the smaller diameter hoses that lead away from this. You'll find at least two of the pipes quite easily, start at the air filter and move towards the engine - where the intake pipe starts to bend around the engine there should be a little rubber hose running over the top of the engine. This, and the one it's running next to, should lead you to the vacuum pump eventually. The little valve that breaks isn't shown on the picture but it would effectively be where the smaller nipple is.

Once you're happy that you've located the vacuum lines it can be a simple test even without the hand pump - open the oil filler cap and start clamping the rubber hoses in sequence with pliers or something (just try not to damage the rubber). Once you've hit a potentially leaky pipe you should hear the noise from the filler cap change. Using the hand pump would just prove this is the case as you could test that it is unable to hold a strong enough vacuum due to a leak.

If you're hearing a whistle while under load, that suggests that there may be an induction or exhaust leak. In this case you would be inspecting the intake pipes and exhaust manifold for signs of a leak (cracked pipe, split rubber, perished seals, etc.).

I'm chasing a similar whistle under load, although I think I've narrowed it down to the exhaust side. I've inspected and sprayed the intake system with soapy water to check for obvious leaks but haven't found anything. As I'm also periodically smelling exhaust in the cabin (and the EGR pipe appears to be intact and clean) I suspect in my case that the exhaust manifold is leaking (I've read more than one case where the studs were loose and allowed exhaust to leak). It happens more in fourth gear and above when under load, and for some reason a lot less in temperatures below 5 degrees C.

One last thing for your model - you may have a small pipe elbow just before the turbos that use an orange seal known for disintegrating over time, so it could be as simple as tightening up some hose clamps or replacing a couple of gaskets.
Old Jun 8th, 2023, 12:47   #7
Thomasd258

Proper thanks! Will try try locate and see later when I get back.

Will have to do it with the vacuum pump as can't start the engine due to the oil leak that I'm trying to find. Literally like a half opened tap just runs out. Not sure if this due to the amount of crankcase pressure pushing the oil out of the turbo or not as can't quite see up there as it's at the back of the engine and being twin turbo it's cramped 🤦*♂️
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 19:50   #8
Thomasd258

Default XC60 D5 2013 turbo failure and removal

So found the cause of the issue of the crankcase pressure and oil leak.

The secondary turbo has completely failed and the exhuast gases were escaping into the oil side of turbo as its seized solid and pressurising the crankcase.

I've got it mostly stripped out literally down to the last 2 bolts which is on the exhuast outlet of the secondary turbo with the square flange and 4 bolts. Got the front 2 out but can't get to back 2. Have ordered a wera 16mm joker spanner with 15 degree rotation to try that but otherwise I'm stuck.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230609_165814.jpg (219.1 KB, 49 views)
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 19:14   #9
darroch

How did it go?
darroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2023, 07:19   #10
Han solo

Which turbo failed?
The small one or the large one at the bottom?
Han solo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crankcase, pcv, xc60 2.4d