Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake bleeding.....

Views : 14333

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 17:12   #1
meta_volante

Question Brake bleeding.....

Hi forumgoers

I am going to bleed the brakes on me S40,just 2 quick questions

1, I pressume I will need an opened spanner - any idea what size ? (I am at work you see, and I can get the spanner from here and take it back home with me)

2, Anyone know of a correct bleeding sequence / order (osr,nsr etc) ?

TIA

meta

'03 S40 1.9D Sport
meta_volante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 17:18   #2
4 forty
VOC Member

Default bleed sequence

right hand rear
left hand rear
right hand front
left hand front.

you are much better useing a ring spanner for the bleed nipple,if the nipple is tight, an open ended spanner might damage it.

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 18:09   #3
caveman
Premier Member

one of those bleeding kits helped me a lot when i bled my brakes on my 740, theyre to help you if youre on your own,
regards
rob
ps, as 4forty says, use a ring spanner!
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 18:17   #4
meta_volante

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
one of those bleeding kits helped me a lot when i bled my brakes on my 740, theyre to help you if youre on your own,
regards
rob
ps, as 4forty says, use a ring spanner!

Rob / Paul

thanks guys I brought a bleeding kit as suggested. any thoughts on the size? is it approx 10 or 11mm for the spanner needed?

meta

'03 S40 1.9D Sport
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 18:30   #5
caveman
Premier Member

tbh andy, i used a pair of mole grips as id previously rounded off the nut with an open ended spanner! if you use mole grips, tighten them on the nut as much as you can! i havent got a clue what the size is though,
regards
rob
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 21:15   #6
quattrothedog

with a car fitted with abs, it normally is advised to have the engine running while bleeding the brakes.

make sure it's securely on axle stands tho, you DON'T want it to fall on you !!
hitting me with the trunk of a big ol' live oak tree
(reverend horton heat)
quattrothedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 23:40   #7
mharriso
Master Member

Sorry to correct but i am sure this is the sequence as the master cyl is in the front rhs of the car. Ignore me if i misread the first reply and am repeating it.. long week...and i'm upside down....

Rear LHS
Rear RHS
Front LHS
Front RHS

This is way easier if you have 2 people, one pumps the pedal, the other opens and closes the bleed nipple.
Pump, open close pedal release, pump, open, close pedal release etc etc etc

Remember to kep the fluid resevoir bottle topped up as you go or you'll suck air in.. then you have to start all over.... not funny..
Do the clutch while your at it.. same procedure...

Have fun....
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mharriso For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:35   #8
meta_volante

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharriso View Post
Sorry to correct but i am sure this is the sequence as the master cyl is in the front rhs of the car. Ignore me if i misread the first reply and am repeating it.. long week...and i'm upside down....
mharriso,

do you mean,the righthand side as you look at the engine from the front of the car,or the righthand side from being insde the car? As my master cyclinder is on the lefthand side as I stand in front of the car...?

err sorry about that, my explanation was about as clear as fog

meta

'03 S40 1.9D Sport
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 22:20   #9
mharriso
Master Member

Hey meta,

Looking down on the car in plan view...(birds eye view... not the fish fingers...)
The logic is you start wth the brake calliper furthest way from the master cylider (under the bonnet) and work your way toward it (the brake master cyl...)

Re having the engine running... we never did that in that factory...the thought about flushing the ABS actuator is irrelevent as the valving inside locks a section of the brake circuit off unless the abs acutator is actuating.. i.e. pulsing.... as if the car was skidding... this won't happen with just the engine on, and you can't create it without the right software running to the actuator.....i.e. to instruct the valves to open in the right sequence....

This is why when we fill at factory we attached avac union to the brake fluid resevoir, and a connection to ttha ABS actuator, we operte the actuator as we pull a vacumn in the whole system , do a leak check i.e. vacumn level drop over time, if ok the brake fluid is pumped / sucked into the system while the actiator is still pulsing.. this way you fill the whole system and get no air in it.. this totally takes about 60 secs... a little longer in the garage.....

Hope this is of interest....

pm me if you want more info / can't sleep.. haha
mharriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2017, 17:49   #10
thespringfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharriso View Post

Rear LHS
Rear RHS
Front LHS
Front RHS

This is way easier if you have 2 people, one pumps the pedal, the other opens and closes the bleed nipple.
Pump, open close pedal release, pump, open, close pedal release etc etc etc

Remember to kep the fluid resevoir bottle topped up as you go or you'll suck air in.. then you have to start all over.... not funny..
Do the clutch while your at it.. same procedure...

Have fun....
This is very odd because my Haynes Manual for the S40 & V50 (2004-2007) states it should be done as follows:

Front left
Rear right
Front right
Rear left

I attach an image of the Haynes Manual extract for reference. Any one know who is right? The people on here or the Haynes? Just wondering as I am going to do this job at the weekend.

Cheers.

thespringfield is offline   Reply With Quote