Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

That horrid aluminium air pipe.

Views : 2607

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 20:08   #1
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Default That horrid aluminium air pipe.

I've finally got round to removing the aluminium pipe from the exhaust to the bottom of the air filter box, as advised in a previous thread.
I was hunting for a funny resonance noise, which occurred only when changing UP at reasonable revs, just as the revs dropped for the next gear. Had sudden thought, 'wonder if its that bit of pipe'.
Removed nasty pipe, broken in two bits just by the support bracket off the chassis rail in the right side of the engine compartment. Removed all bits, stuck in dustbin, went for test drive.
I'm amazed at the transformation! Not only has the resonance gorn, but lots of other funny little noises that I had just put down to general old age have gone too.
Engine seems to run sweeter, rev better, and idles MUCH more smoothly!
All from removing a grotty bit of pipe.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 21:18   #2
morsing
Premier Member

Cool

If your engine actually runs better the chances are the valve in the air box is actually stuck on "hot". It should really be closed.
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 21:22   #3
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing
Cool

If your engine actually runs better the chances are the valve in the air box is actually stuck on "hot". It should really be closed.
I'd wondered about that after I noticed how much better the engine ran, but no chance this evening to have a look in the air box!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 22:14   #4
Velorum
VOC Member

Any advice on how to check the valve in the airbox? My Haynes manual does not seem to shed much light on this.

Ian
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 07:21   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Just point a hairdrier at it and watch the flap move.
If yours was stuck on open you did well to remove the pipe just in time.
Mine burnt out the air filter - it started smouldering! , and destroyed the Air Mass Meter.
Pull out the valve mechanism and put a WD40 cap or similar over the inlet .
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 00:07   #6
TOOLS

Question Hot air intake pipe to air filter.

Does this apply to carburetted models too. I fitted a replacement aluminium pipe to mine some time ago, as I thought drawing cold air into the carburettor during the winter months was bad for the engine. In summer it might be ok. Shurely Volvo must fit this system for a reason ?
TOOLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:20   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I think the only reason for avoiding very cold air in winter is if the carburettor has a tendency to ice up. Otherwise, my understanding is that an engine runs more efficiently on cold.

Posters on Brickboard.com from Canada and Alaska report no adverse effects from removing the pipe.

I've never really understood its purpose anyway. There would be little or no hot air at the end of the pipe until the exhaust pipe had warmed up, so it clearly would be no use in easing starting. By the time the pipe was warm the engine would have been running some time and presumably the car well on its journey.
Old carburettor cars used to have a winter setting on the air cleaner, which moved the intake closer to the exhaust manifold. I can imagine that being more effective sooner after starting, so why interpose a 4 foot pipe?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:52   #8
charlotte001

Hi the horrid pipe you're discussing does it go from the manifold to the air box ?

If so it's a warm up pipe to give the engine warm air to help it idle easier it's now outdated technology. I know of one VW service manager who doesn't know what it is!! Shows how old technology it is.

9 times out of 10 the pipe (which if I'm on the same pipe) is a piece of soft aluminium the pipe is degraded to such a point that it's normally in at least two pieces like the one I pulled of my 760.

Removing it will have no detremental effect or not that you will notice.

Charlotte
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 12:53   #9
cbyard
TDC Member ;-)

Presumably because engines are generally crossflow now, so the inlet and exhaust manifold are no longer on the same side of the engine. Or else the air filter is remote from the carburetter / throttle body anyway....

Chris
cbyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 21:14   #10
Velorum
VOC Member

Removed my pipe this evening - excellent result - less noise and better running! Will investigate whats going on with the flap in the air box at the weekend which I dont think will take too long.

Amazing how a small job that takes less than a minute can cause such an improvement!

Ian
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote