Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing with an old (99 V) V70

Views : 3499

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2016, 02:27   #11
ScaniaR440

Indeed Colin, well aware of the requirements for towing - I'm a class 1 HGV driver - I find it odd that warning of working indicators is mandatory yet brake lights isn't.....

The towbar fitted to the car is being replaced with a new one after I had it inspected , scotch locks in the wiring was enough!

£300 I could have done without spending, glad I did mind you, one of the detachable tow bars securing pins was missing, replaced with a cable tie!!!
ScaniaR440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 15:03   #12
warninglight
VOC Member

I haven't come across the PCV as being an issue on the TDi engine ones. It's very common on all Volvo petrol engines in this range, and I don't know if the TDi has a similar arrangement at all.

The acid test for it anyway, is after a short run, with the engine idling, pull the dipstick and see if there's a slight oil haze or smoke being blown out. The other test is to take the oil cap off, again with it idling, and stretch a latex glove over the opening. There should be a slight depression inside the engine (Positive crankcase ventilation) so if it's all OK it should suck the glove in slightly.

You can't go far wrong with the TDi manuals in these. Just make sure the cambelt is done on time with all tensioners etc., and that the pump timing is OK, and they're a pretty bulletproof setup.

Past: 1997 S70 TDi, 1997 C70 T5 GT, 2003 V70 Bi-Fuel, 2000 Ph2 V70 2.5D, 1997 V70R Auto FWD, 1998 V70R Manual AWD, 2004 XC90 D5 G/T, 2005 S60 D5
warninglight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 21:37   #13
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Sorry, I tend to write in general terms, I'm sure thsi si read by all. The PCV is an issue with petrol engines. Spent weeks on them. Deseasel (sic). You would be better not taking advice from me. Never even seen one.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 19:23   #14
green van man
Premier Member

Apart for the softly sprung rear end an excellent tow car in every respect. Mine towed my 1450 kg van to Scotland at least twice a year with no problems at all.
Change gearbox oil, remove nearside wheel and the fill drain plugs are visible on the differential housing, 32 mm nut if memory serves, worth checking the fill nut comes out before removing the drain one. 2.1 litres of oil but you will get away with 2 as even draining it does not remove 100%. Worth having the engine level side to side, I put a spirit level across the top of the engine as my drive slopes side to side. I baught the oil from local dealer, it carries a ford part number as well so may be cheaper from ford dealer.

I changed to a P3 xc only because the P1 was a low car and age made getting out a bit difficult.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 15:45   #15
Watchnut

I used my 1999 V70 to tow all over France.
It did not enjoy hills towing my Coachman Pastiche "van" but the weight was high on the van about 1500/1600kg. with a full boot and 2 kids in the car the steering felt light. the lighter the van the better you will be. (definitely try the less than 85% rule)
Your BMW was rear wheel drive and better for towing
Try to balance the van correctly, I think my tow ball wanted no more than 75kg weight on it, if it is over you will "v" up, and bounce alot, with grounding an issue depending where go up kerbs/ferries etc... if you don't get it right.
Novomats fitted onto the back are brilliant, they level up a few 100m from your start point and make a massive difference to the stability of the unit and made it a joy to tow.
make sure you adjust tyre pressures for towing.
lift off then brake early and very gently.
I still returned a very good 30-40 mpg when i was not thrashing it up steep hills! You will be in 3rd and 2nd alot!
Over all I did not find it a bad tow car, just wish I had a lighter van
Watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2017, 00:12   #16
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

+1 for Nivomats for towing. Many seem to be under the impression nivomats are for towing, far from it. Fitted stock on many Jags and Mercs, and the V70R version which is certainly not your usual tow car.
Old Jan 15th, 2017, 13:22   #17
Ian HT
VOC Member

I agree with the advice to date. I had a diesel exactly the same and for towing I bought a full size spare wheel and fitted Grayson auxiliary springs and new shock absorbers (good idea as they have to come off anyway to fit the auxiliary coil springs round them).
Ian
Ian HT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 14:08   #18
m30rmf

Interested to read this, the Mrs wants to buy a caravan, my concern would be my 173k miles 2003 v70 d5 (manual)not liking it due to age/mileage on It?..
m30rmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2017, 16:42   #19
yoda960
Volvo 960

Quote:
Originally Posted by m30rmf View Post
Interested to read this, the Mrs wants to buy a caravan, my concern would be my 173k miles 2003 v70 d5 (manual)not liking it due to age/mileage on It?..
As long as it is well maintained then there shouldn't be an issue? These cars go to the moon and back with good maintenance.
yoda960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 12:59   #20
CPH

Apologies for resurrecting a slightly old thread, but to add to what's already been said......

I tow with a 98 V70 TDi Auto, currently approaching 172K miles. Current van is 1400KG MTPLM and the car does an admirable job and barely breaks a sweat.

As already stated manual 'boxes aren't an issue. I added a cooler to mine (as it's auto) and it seems to do a very good job at keeping the ATF temps low.

I've uprated the rear suspension on my V70 with Monroe load levellers and MAD progressive springs, it doesn't sag at all, even with 75KG on the towball and the car packed to the scuppers! Even better, when the car is unladen and not towing there's no difference to the ride over standard rear suspension.

Overall I'd say it's a very capable towcar.