Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Please help a new S80 owner

Views : 2520

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 17:05   #1
w5moss

OK - Bear with me, because I've just purchased a 2001 s80 2.4 170bhp auto (72,000 miles) at auction, and there are a couple of things I'm sure someone will know about.
1 How can I be sure it's a 170 bhp engine, there seem to be no indication under the bonnet, and it seems slower than my old 850 2.5 10 valve.

2 The standard change for cam belts seems to be 9 years or 100,000 miles which seems a long time to me. Anyone had a belt snapped early. What generally is a sensible time frame, bearing in mind I'm not a company car driver, so maintenance bills need to be kept to a minimum. Solo autos is my nearest independant, who will probably get the work - any experience of them from anyone?

3 The information centre is great, but the average speed is locked at 46mph. The rest seems to work, and change according to how I'm driving. ie mpg, instant and average, but average speed is still 46. Is this a sign of trouble ahead with electrics?

Anyone who can help with any of these, I'd be really grateful. I'm sure as I get to know it, that I'll come up with more queries.

Old Sep 6th, 2003, 17:58   #2
George Holmer

>maintenance bills need to be kept to a minimum.

Maintenance is always cheaper than repairs. A new timing belt should cost you perhaps a couple of hundred pounds at a dealer, a snapped one means most probably a new engine.

>The information centre is great, but the average speed is locked at 46mph.

I bet my graduate certificate that there is a way to reset this. Try that first.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/My%20car.JPG]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW71; 130k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/M46; 150k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 210k)
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 19:39   #3
brianingle

This may seem an obvious answer and you may have already done this.

Turn selector to the "average speed" and then hold down the reset button for about 5 secs until it resets. Both the "average speed" and "average mpg" have to be reset individually. If this does not work, you have a fault.

Brian Ingle
Old Sep 6th, 2003, 23:02   #4
w5moss

Thanks Brian and George. I didn't realise they were reset individually - I'll try it tomorrow. Still doesn't explain why a 170 mile trip from Manchester to London at 80 records an average of 46mph! Still, a reset just might kick it back to life.
On subject of timing belts, I realise it would be prudent to change, which indeed I will in the near future, but I've read that the diesel has a known problem with them, and 40,000 mile intervals are recommended, by some people. Just wondered if anyone had experiences with the petrol engines. When speaking to my local franchised dealer (HR Owen) they were quite happy to recommend 9 years or 100K. I almost find that irresponsible to potentially leave a timing belt on a car for that amount of time, when the the consequences of it's failure can be so disasterous.
My car is 2 and a half years and 72K. Next service is due at 78K - Is the belt a reccomended change now, or should I wait to the 78K service?
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 10:33   #5
slender

Default RE: Please help a new S80 owner

Do you have the 4 or 5 speed auto? My 170bhp S80 has the 5 speed. Prior to this I had an XC which went like a rocket. That had 193bhp, a 4 speed auto and a a light pressure turbo, but the extra weight of the 4wd system probably balanced things out to put it on a par with the S80. When I first had the S80 - only a few months ago - it felt a tad slower than the XC; until I started to be a little heavier with my right foot on appropriate occasions and now have no performance complaints at all.

Great car, I`m thoroughly enjoying mine. I wondered if I`d miss the undoubted versatility of the estate, but haven`t so far.
slender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 18:42   #6
w5moss

It does have the 5 speed box, and like you, when I've had it a few weeks, the right foot might get a little heavier through familiarity. I'm still wondering if I'll miss the versatility of my 850 estate, cos I do use the boot a bit carrying bulky items work related. I was dissapointed not to find a sport switch with the winter one, but this is cos I'm used to a manual box. The 850 deffinitely seemed to have more urgency when asked of it though.
It is faultless so far, bar a small clonking over speed bumps, which I'm wondering if is a characteristic noise or a suspension gremlin. I've read that this is a weak point, and will have the garage check out when the service comes up.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 19:44   #7
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

Default RE: Please help a new S80 owner

The gearbox is software controlled and 'learns' your driving style, hence no need for a sport switch. The winter switch just inhibits first gear, and adjusts speed fo change ups.

The clonking could be the suspension bush recall - ask a dealer if your car has been done. Mine sometimes clonks a bit when going over a 'humpback' bridge or similar.

Paul
VOC S80 Register Keeper
Paul Wildsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 19:45   #8
Ken H

bar a small clonking over speed
>bumps, which I'm wondering if is a characteristic noise or a
>suspension gremlin. I've read that this is a weak point, and
>will have the garage check out when the service comes up.

I had a similar clunk on mine, turned out to be an anti-roll bar link rod. This is a common fault with them, supplied only by dealer at £44 + VAT, £51.00. I am in the motor trade and rang everywhere but dont seem to be available as yet.

PS be careful with that right foot, a bit frightening when the wheels start to spin and the STC device kicks in and all the power gets taken away from you for a second or two LOL
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 17:45   #9
w5moss

>I had a similar clunk on mine, turned out to be an anti-roll
>bar link rod. This is a common fault with them, supplied only
>by dealer at £44 + VAT, £51.00. I am in the motor
>trade and rang everywhere but dont seem to be available as
>yet.
>
Ken - thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate on the anti roll bar link rods. Do you know if this was linked to a recall notice. My car has had (before I bought it) new anti roll bar link rods (do they come in pairs?) which I gather may have been a recall from HR owen. They are not helpful, except by reminding me of a 90 pound/hour labour charge +VAT. Are they developing modified ones which is why you are not able to source them. Also, how do I know for sure the work was done - is there a new part number. My car used to be a lease vehicle, which mentions the rods on the printout. Sorry for so many questions, but the noise is inducative of a beaten up granada estate with 200 miles on the clock. I had one a few years back, and the clunking is very similar Are the link rods a big job labour wise?
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 13:30   #10
Ken H

Can you elaborate on the anti
>roll bar link rods
Do you know if this was linked to a
recall notice.
do they come in pairs?
part number.
Are the link rods a big job labour wise

Hi,
I do beleive there was a recall notice for these very soon after the vehicle came out and it should have been done, dont know how to check.

A swedish parts supplier told me that they are a dealer only part as no-one has the drawings yet to copy them, dont know how true this is though.

They are bought as singles at £51.70 inc VAT (at my dealer anyway)

Part number is 274456-3 (front link) they are not left/right handed

I fit mine in about half hour but thats only because I couldn't find an allen key small enough LOL.
Basically there is only 2 nuts to undo and you use the allem key to stop the threaded part from turning while you undo and re-tighten the nuts. This should be done with the wheels on the ground, when car is jacked up there is tension on the link rods, saying that you may have to raise it slightly to get the allen key on as the subframe is right behind it.

It is time someone did a replica for them, they are not very strong, they are just like mini track rod ends attached to a bar and the bush part is only made of plastic. I remember track rod end that had brass bushes in that you could change but thats another story LOL