Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Scorpion verde at front scorpion all season sf2 at rear

Views : 1177

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2022, 19:10   #1
redbuta

Default Scorpion verde at front scorpion all season sf2 at rear

Had Scorpion Verde since new, then changed front ones like-for-like in Nov 2021 due to cuts between threads. 3000 miles on them since.

Now nearside rear got a big puncture therefore booked two new replacement for rear axis. Just realized I've bought Scorpion all season SF2 105w at very similar price.

From my previous experience this will be fine for summer tyres (had four differently branded tyres on my first car 97 corolla, but usually at least change 2 on an axis at the same time).

Previous set of four Michelin all-seasons from 2015-2018 didn't feel much difference in normal traction, but much more grip in snow.

HENCE wondering if summer at front and 4season at back will give some (not-so) funny experience on snow?
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 08:56   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuta View Post
HENCE wondering if summer at front and 4season at back will give some (not-so) funny experience on snow?
Could well do and it's definitely not recommended. Also, your insurer may take a dim view of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 09:14   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Had Scorpion Verde since new, then changed front ones like-for-like in Nov 2021 due to cuts between threads. 3000 miles on them since.

Now nearside rear got a big puncture therefore booked two new replacement for rear axis. Just realized I've bought Scorpion all season SF2 105w at very similar price.

From my previous experience this will be fine for summer tyres (had four differently branded tyres on my first car 97 corolla, but usually at least change 2 on an axis at the same time).

Previous set of four Michelin all-seasons from 2015-2018 didn't feel much difference in normal traction, but much more grip in snow.

Snow in its own right is very unpredictable so it’s not a good/not good configuration.

That said as others have said I don’t know how your insurance would view it (I find it hard to believe that road legal tyres would cause a major issue in reality) and you are also adding more mishandling into the bag.

If it were me I wouldn’t have them however if I found myself having purchased a vehicle like that I would fit the least dosired to the front, wear them out and replace with required solution.

I.e if running summers I would put the AT on front then change to summers later.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 09:25   #4
Ian0803

This might help answer your question:

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...nter-tyres.htm
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian0803 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 09:30   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I don't think it will be an insurance issue... it's not classed as a modification and the vast majority of insurers have signed up to an agreement where you do not need to declare if you fit all seasons or winter tyres.

May be useful : https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets/...commitment.pdf

With regard to mixing them, as said generally not recommended but if you do, put the "stickiest" ones to the rear to avoid oversteer in skiddy situations. I personally am confident that summers on the front and all seasons at the rear would not increase the risk the overall risk of an accident, and in the winter whilst not ideal would be better than four summers.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 09:34   #6
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

I would put the A/S at the front, because they have less grip in regular/wet conditions, and the summers at the rear, because more grip.

I would not run the combination in the Winter though.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 13:59   #7
redbuta

Thank you all for valued input. All points are very knowledgeable with great references. Pirelli states officially "Peace of mind and safety in all conditions", guess this "all conditions" will cover any insurers' concerns.

My current decisions:
- Take public transportation when it snows/is dark iced

- Be extremely cautious by an extra mile in wet and/or icy condition

- Change the front Verdes to SF2 All-Seasons in the next opportunity (either a good discount, or tread down to 5mm in maybe another 20k miles)
Just did a quick check on Pirelli official website, it seems they have similar dry/wet ratings, Verde is one tick better in wet handling.

The EU label is more puzzling showing the Verde with "B" and the All Season SF2 with "A" rating in wet?

Are these ratings

See below figures

SF2BA.JPG

SF2.JPG

VerdeBB.JPG

Verde.JPG
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 14:33   #8
Ian0803

In my opinion i would not expect any significant issues if driven "normally" in most UK conditions, however I would not drive that combination in snow or icy conditions.

If it was me, I would just buy a pair of matching all seasons and sell off the almost new fronts.
You can't put a price on safety
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian0803 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2022, 19:58   #9
redbuta

Where do we usually sell the almost new tyres?

Fronts are still around 8.5mm so sustainability wise better either sell or gift them to someone properly.

BTW, previous years experiences tell me Scorpion Verde summer tyres are rubbish on snow and ice anyway. So either public transportation or driving at walking pace always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian0803 View Post
In my opinion i would not expect any significant issues if driven "normally" in most UK conditions, however I would not drive that combination in snow or icy conditions.

If it was me, I would just buy a pair of matching all seasons and sell off the almost new fronts.
You can't put a price on safety
Old Jun 11th, 2022, 07:11   #10
Ian0803

Quote:
Where do we usually sell the almost new tyres?

Fronts are still around 8.5mm so sustainability wise better either sell or gift them to someone properly.

BTW, previous years experiences tell me Scorpion Verde summer tyres are rubbish on snow and ice anyway. So either public transportation or driving at walking pace always...
Never sold tyres myself, but I have seen people selling them on e-Bay and various car forums.
On one of the BMW forums, I regularly see people selling almost new tyres as owners switch to alternatives brands/types.

Depending on the tyre sizes you have, they may be of interest to more than just Volvo owners.