Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 839683

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2023, 16:32   #5711
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Been following your search from the beginning,glad you've found "the one".Perhaps at the appropriate time you could begin a new thread detailing your journey through the restoration?
Many thanks Dippydog, yes of course once I get it back I’ll start a new thread on the 140 site to document the project.

Mixture of excitement and fear/terror of ‘what have I done’. 😀😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2023, 19:48   #5712
Dippydog
Premier Member

While I've never taken on a restoration project I can well undertand your mixture of emotions and I shall look forward to reading of your further adventures.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2023, 20:45   #5713
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Mixture of excitement and fear/terror of ‘what have I done’. 😀😀

Cheers
Steve
The restoration will be a walk in the park compared to fessing up to 'er indoors.

Your purchase reminds me of when I bought my Bentley. I was 21 at the time and living at home. Home being a farm and my Father being an old school farmer type - everything could be kept running with a bit of binder twine.

So bought the car that was literally in a scrapyard and arranged with the seller to transport the car home. On the day of the delivery, I casually announced to father that the Bentley was being delivered today and promptly scarpered out the door to go to work - I had a paid job elsewhere. Came home from work expecting to see the car in the drive - no car. Rang the seller the next morning asking where the car was as he had promised delivery the day before. He said he had delivered the car, but there was an old boy there who refused delivery so he returned to the yard and was awaiting instructions - apparently it was too rough even for my father. I asked him to re-deliver it the next day. Told Father the car would be coming tomorrow. To say there was a bit of an atmosphere was an under statement! I spent six years restoring it and in all that time we hardly spoke about the car or the project. It wasn't until it was finished and I won 'best personal restoration' at the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts Club Concours that he admitted he was proud of my efforts. I also subsequently learnt that all through the restoration period he showed a lot of folks the work in progress and was obviously the proud dad. I was really miffed that I had to pay for two delivery attempts!

Last edited by ITSv40; Oct 18th, 2023 at 20:53.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2023, 22:42   #5714
Steve 940
Premier Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235256044...Bk9SR56BnO7pYg

Mmmm, think I’d polish the bumpers and wheels before selling on t’ebay??

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 08:51   #5715
ITSv40
VOC Member

I see your car has been taken off ebay now - it was up for a few days after you viewed which was a bit worrying. Hope it is progressing smoothly. I bet you get a warm fuzzy feeling viewing car ads and being able to critique them as you are no longer in the market.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 10:18   #5716
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I see your car has been taken off ebay now - it was up for a few days after you viewed which was a bit worrying. Hope it is progressing smoothly. I bet you get a warm fuzzy feeling viewing car ads and being able to critique them as you are no longer in the market.
Hi ITSv40,
Yes I did notice it was still listed for couple of days, have had lots of communications so I’m not too worried, only paid a nominal £10 to set him up as a payee on my online banking, to make doing the main transfer easier.

Pick up noon Monday hopefully🤞🤞

See how much rust falls out on the van transporter deck by the time I get home😀😀

Cheers
Steve
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 11:13   #5717
Moomoo
VOC Member

I’ve never known an engine block rust away completely.😈😂
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 13:10   #5718
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235256044...Bk9SR56BnO7pYg

Mmmm, think I’d polish the bumpers and wheels before selling on t’ebay??

Cheers
Steve
Selling old cars is about the presentation and then hooking the buyer in with a well written advert. A lot of folk buy old stuff due to the romance of it. You need to suck folk in with the romance of a classic and then hook them with some tech and things done and money spent etc.

I recently sold my old classic caravan that I’d previously restored, people were lining up to buy it, sold it in two days for the asking price and it was £2k more than I though I’d get. Folk are doing themselves out of money and making it hard if you don’t put a bit of effort in presenting the sale.
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 16:04   #5719
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Selling old cars is about the presentation and then hooking the buyer in with a well written advert. A lot of folk buy old stuff due to the romance of it. You need to suck folk in with the romance of a classic and then hook them with some tech and things done and money spent etc.

I recently sold my old classic caravan that I’d previously restored, people were lining up to buy it, sold it in two days for the asking price and it was £2k more than I though I’d get. Folk are doing themselves out of money and making it hard if you don’t put a bit of effort in presenting the sale.
Oh come now, stop it!! planting the seed of an idea, that of a Classic caravan……… what else would a soon to be 145 owner possibly want😀😀😀

That’s this evenings browsing sorted then👍👍

Cheers
Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 16:11   #5720
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Oh come now, stop it!! planting the seed of an idea, that of a Classic caravan……… what else would a soon to be 145 owner possibly want😀😀😀

That’s this evenings browsing sorted then👍👍

Cheers
Steve
I'm not a caravanning chap, but I can just imagine you towing a nice white one behind the 145. One of those nice '60's jobbies with three pane front window and the raised centre roof line. It would be a very elegant and practical combo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: