Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SWAP 240 Estate 10 Mths MOT for 940 Estate

Views : 807

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 23:19   #1
jmz

Default SWAP 240 Estate 10 Mths MOT for 940 Estate

Anyone interested in swapping a 940 estate for my 1986 240 2.3 GL estate?

I need a reliable 'daily driver' asap that doesn't need any TLC to get it into shape.

My 240 has MOT until 13/11/2011 it has done barely any mileage since it passed last October, only needed a tyre.

Bodywise it's in good condition and all lines are straight, it is red so slighty fading here and there yet looks well. It is suffering from some rust on the inside of the rear windows and on the tailgate. There also seems to be the start of some on the windscreen but not very visible yet. It doesn't have the usual rust problems which is quite unusual for a 1986. It has had one recent owner for 15 years then the person I bought it from used it for a couple of months and then let it stand. There is an advisory on the last MOT for rear outer sill which isn't too bad.

All tyres are very good and are on Corona alloys. The spare is almost as new.

The electrics are in very good condition with headlamp wipers, rear window wiper, seat belt warning lights, internal lights, glove box light, central locking etc. all working fine.
The heater fan does not work but I have a replacement. The heater itself works perfectly and gives out loads of heat once on the road.
It has fully function twin electrics tow bar.
The rear drivers side light cluster is not in the best condition.

The interior is good. The driver's seat was a complete mess but I have replaced the two front seats with two grey velour seats. The back seat and door cards are in grey hound's tooth, I still have the original passenger seat which is in perfect condition.
The roof lining is perfect.
However it feels damp inside and has a leak which makes the rear passenger side footwell very damp.

The current Carb: Pierberg 175 CD has a split diaphragm, yet I have a replacement Carb from a car with much less mileage.
There was an issue with starting but it now starts perfectly, yet needs further tweaking once the diaphragm/carb is replaced.
There is also slight blow on the exhaust.
The engine pulls well and cruises happily at 70mph+ it has a highish mileage at 218k.

I'm looking for something I can use as a daily driver that will allow me to commute over 200 miles for 1 day of the week and get back home at anytime as my wife is expecting another baby very, very soon.
I'm not particularly bothered about the model or age, yet need it to have a good bit of MOT, be able to carry a good load, be reliable, safe and look reasonably presentable.

If you want a 240 estate and have a 940 estate that has a similar value to my 240 or will take my 240 in part-ex please PM me or email me at: jmz'at'gmx.com

I will post some pics as soon as the sun decides to show it's face

** just as a temporary indicator, and with no intended disrespect to the vendor, however mine is in much better condition that this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1986-VOLVO-240...item1c1870549b

Last edited by jmz; Jan 18th, 2011 at 00:09. Reason: smelling pistakes
jmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 23:43   #2
jmz

Pictures are being uploaded here when I can
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 18:15   #3
pistonpen paultje

Hmm, I cant PM you for some reason. Got some questions:

- Is no trading a problem? Im dutch, so could only help you with a LHD 940 .
- What is the mileage of the car?
- Are there problems that need attention?
- Any rustproblems?
- Where is the car located?
- And would you be willing to help me along a little with collection (I would probably fly overthere)

Maybe PM in my direction does work? Im seriously interested...
pistonpen paultje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 23:44   #4
jmz

My email address: jmz@gmx.com
yet all your questions are answered above.

Last edited by jmz; Jan 26th, 2011 at 23:54.