Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto vs Manual - Emissions, MPG & Performance

Views : 2223

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2012, 10:02   #1
Networkguy

Default Auto vs Manual - Emissions, MPG & Performance

Might be coming back to the Volvo fold quite soon but looking through the specifications on the Volvo website I can't believe what I am seeing

So I am looking at a V60 D5 with an Auto box.

For some reason the auto box seems to sap power from the engine (over the manual) like no tomorrow.

So for example, the emissions for a manual are 120g/km yet for the auto, 162g/km

Likewise on MPG the combined number for the manual is 61.4mpg and the auto is 45.6mpg

Now I know these will not be real word numbers but that is still a huge hit

On my last 2 cars (A BMW 335D and currently a Mercedes C350 CDI) the auto box makes little difference to emissions or economy.

So what gives?

Is the Volvo auto box really that bad?

BTW

I did also look at the V70 but that also took a big hit on performance too.
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 12:49   #2
844PHW
Master Member

I haven't looked at the volvo website recently, but it does have a history of showing inaccurate figures, even when volvo have had the errors pointed out to them. My guess is that the website is maintained by a third party.
But I don't want to pre-judge the matter. It may be a case of trying to gather information from alternative sources (for instance explain your problem to volvo customer services, although that can be a bit hit or miss) and seeing how it compares. (and as a last resort there is the question of whether you are interpreting the figures correctly?)
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 14:05   #3
jimbg
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
(and as a last resort there is the question of whether you are interpreting the figures correctly?)
Well the figures are here.............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (243.4 KB, 26 views)
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 16:31   #4
844PHW
Master Member

Aaa-ah. Browsing the website, it looks like the manual 60 has stop-start but the auto doesn't. This presumably makes a significant contribution to the difference in mpg.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 17:26   #5
Crockers
Premier Member

Hmmmm the Merc isn't available in manual form with the V6 diesel. I've gone from that to the Volvo. Volvo is better on fuel than the Merc. If you add Polestar to the V60 then performance is similar.

Can't comment on the BMW.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 21:50   #6
Networkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Hmmmm the Merc isn't available in manual form with the V6 diesel. I've gone from that to the Volvo. Volvo is better on fuel than the Merc. If you add Polestar to the V60 then performance is similar.

Can't comment on the BMW.
It's not really about the Volvo being better or worse than the Merc or BMW, it's what appears to be a big hit between the manual and auto. I mean look at the tax band.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 21:52   #7
Networkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 844PHW View Post
Aaa-ah. Browsing the website, it looks like the manual 60 has stop-start but the auto doesn't. This presumably makes a significant contribution to the difference in mpg.
My last few cars have had stop start and it really makes sod all difference to the mpg.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 22:03   #8
GP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networkguy View Post
It's not really about the Volvo being better or worse than the Merc or BMW, it's what appears to be a big hit between the manual and auto. I mean look at the tax band.
If you compare some of the VAG manual/auto/s, some of their auto's use less fuel/co2. .

Quote:
My last few cars have had stop start and it really makes sod all difference to the mpg.
This depends on what kind of driving you do and when, in traffic in a city stop/start will improve your MPG. .
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 22:03   #9
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
In the real world, little difference but in the fantasy world that official MPG figures come from it makes a massive difference.

Look at the official figures before start/stop became available and you will see very little difference between auto and manual.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 22:11   #10
Networkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP1 View Post
If you compare some of the VAG manual/auto/s, some of their auto's use less . .
That's kind of my point.

Why are Volvo so far behind the curve?