Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Injectors

Views : 1331

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 24th, 2021, 18:03   #1
Alpine

Default Injectors

Seems that one of my injectors has failed, so I need to replace it.

I need to google and see what I can find, but is the original Volvo part a particular brand (Bosch?) and am I ok to replace one rather than all 5 together? Is a failed injector a common problem on our cars?
Old Dec 24th, 2021, 20:13   #2
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Alpine,

Is this on the same car that had the codes and vvt etc? It seems odd that now a failed injector has cropped up.

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green
SteveSarre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2021, 20:54   #3
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSarre View Post
Hi Alpine,

Is this on the same car that had the codes and vvt etc? It seems odd that now a failed injector has cropped up.

Steve
Hi Steve, it is, I know its a bit odd. But I'm being lead by my mechanic...

Its still running rough, misfiring I think

When he takes each lead off the injectors there is a dip in the engine note (obviously, because it is losing a cylinder) but if you remove the lead from injector no.1 it makes no difference. So he's thinking its an injector problem. Does that sound right?
Old Dec 24th, 2021, 22:14   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

No, that doesn't sound right, injectors VERY rarely fail in these cars. The best way to be sure would be to swap that injector for another cylinder and see if the fault moves - it's possible, but unlikely.

Does your car have a conventional distributor and leads, or does it have the individual pencil coils one for each cylinder? If the latter, then more than likely the coil has gone down, this IS quite common. If it's the former, then I'd be looking at the spark plug, leads etc. - again, you can swap them for another cylinder to see if the fault moves.

If I'm right, then I'd junk that mechanic and never go near him again, this is basic stuff.

To back up my claim that injectors rarely fail, try searching on this forum for a misfire fault caused by one - In my 10 years plus of reading every thread in this forum I don't recall any member having had a failed injector causing a misfire, whereas there are plenty of examples where pencil coils have failed, it's a common fault on many cars. Sometimes caused by the wiring to them failing too.

Last edited by Luxobarge; Dec 24th, 2021 at 22:18.
Luxobarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 00:24   #5
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
No, that doesn't sound right, injectors VERY rarely fail in these cars. The best way to be sure would be to swap that injector for another cylinder and see if the fault moves - it's possible, but unlikely.

Does your car have a conventional distributor and leads, or does it have the individual pencil coils one for each cylinder? If the latter, then more than likely the coil has gone down, this IS quite common. If it's the former, then I'd be looking at the spark plug, leads etc. - again, you can swap them for another cylinder to see if the fault moves.

If I'm right, then I'd junk that mechanic and never go near him again, this is basic stuff.

To back up my claim that injectors rarely fail, try searching on this forum for a misfire fault caused by one - In my 10 years plus of reading every thread in this forum I don't recall any member having had a failed injector causing a misfire, whereas there are plenty of examples where pencil coils have failed, it's a common fault on many cars. Sometimes caused by the wiring to them failing too.
thanks Luxobarge, it does have the pencil coils as I have had them out myself to check the condition of the spark plugs. So I could swap them round myself to check. But how will I know which coil is bad? Is it by taking the lead off the injector and see how the engine reacts?
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 08:54   #6
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
But how will I know which coil is bad? Is it by taking the lead off the injector and see how the engine reacts?
Fair question, personally I'd do it by disconnecting or removing (pulling up) each pencil coil one at a time, I'd leave the injectors alone ideally.

With this system the ECU codes can be read which will usually indicate which cylinder it is, but as I guess you don't have a reader that will do this then the old fashioned manual way will work just as well.
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 09:25   #7
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi both

Happy Christmas!

Surely the symptoms suggest that pencil coil no 1 is the bad pencil coil (if injector 1 is good)? To test that you could unbolt no1 coil and another coil and swap them round and see if the problem moves. I think the coils only work if they are bolted down (for grounding) so you cannot just "lift" them (but might be wrong).

Alpine, also look at the top of each pencil coil. You should see a date stamp (i think year week eg 1999 14). If some of them are more recent that indicates that they have been replaced. Used coils are not expensive. If you have 2 new and three old I would be tempted to replace the 3 old ones (but start with just one).

I have some good used. Will have a look at what I have got. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Also maybe check out getting a new one. Part number is 30713416 and they are used on various Volvo models. I dont have a recommended aftermarket brand

Hope that helps,
Steve
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 09:31   #8
SteveSarre
Premier Member

This one looks like good value at £9.60 including postage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265083562...UAAOSwIe1gSMYQ

I think it is from 2006 week 25

4 are available.
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 10:12   #9
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Great stuff Steve!

I was thinking of just "lifting" them to remove the spark from that cylinder. If the misfire gets worse, then that cylinder was working, so put it back. If it makes no difference, then that cylinder was already misfiring, so that's probably the culprit.

Cheers
Old Dec 25th, 2021, 12:26   #10
Alpine

thanks both, I got a code reader this morning from Santa so that will help! I will try as you both say, and thanks for the offer Steve I will pm you if needed

Last edited by Alpine; Dec 25th, 2021 at 12:31.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote