Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ETS Problem

Views : 640

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2013, 23:27   #1
busters dad

Default ETS Problem

I understand that an ETS fault is common on a V70.
My 99' XT is fine but every so often won't start and the ETS light comes on.
Try again once or twice and she fires up.
Will the problem get worse? I.E Get it sorted ASAP or just put up with it?
busters dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 13:45   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

Take it off the intake manifold and clean out the butterfly valve (both sides) and the portion the air flows through using carb cleaner on a rag/ tooth brush.
If the car is a Turbo model expect a few scratched hands as it isn't great for access to the ETM which is bolted to the underside of the inlet manifold by four 10MM head bolts. The cable is trapped between the engine block and starter motor but it is long enough to get the ETM out for cleaning purposes without disconnecting it. There is no electrical connector on the ETM it's self where the cable enters the unit is a feed through grommet style plastic part, do not take this off or you will damage the unit probably beyond repair.
Some users take the radiator fan off to ease access put I have never bothered, just work by feel, a mirror and torch are also quite handy. Give yourself a good two and half hours for this job if it's the first time, after a while you can do it in around 45 minutes on a turbo.

If the car is non Turbo then the ETM is easy to get at for cleaning, the job should take no more than half an hour on the N/A engine.

No point going to far with the ETM fault, start with a clean as carbon can build up making the butterfly valve in the ETM sticks which causes erratic idle and stalling, if the cleaning doesn't work then it's time to scan the car for diagnostic trouble codes - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 15:31   #3
busters dad

Thanks for that Mike!!
It may also explain why she stalls under braking. The revs drop to low and she cuts out.
busters dad is offline   Reply With Quote