Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New engine mount makes all the difference

Views : 25277

Replies : 114

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2013, 22:15   #61
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Update!

Just thought I'd update this thread with my findings on how things are now I've changed to the E-Focus Mount (electric ford focus). I've currently done approx. 700 miles now on the new mount.

I've got to say I'm loving the difference this has made to the car. The gear shifts are far better and smoother now the new mount is on and I'm wishing I had done this change 10's of thousands of miles ago!

I never previous thought I had any problems with my gearbox (geartronic) and in reality I don't, but what had developed over a very long period of time was the previous mount had obviously worn (was never very good in the first place to be fair) and this was allowing movement or causing movement every time there was a gear change. The movement caused the tiniest amount of jolt (like a millisecond or two pause) this meant you could tell each gear change both up and down but it felt nothing more than what people expect with an automatic.

Now with the new mount the changes are so smooth and really makes the car drive so much better. Changes happen and a lot of the time you wouldn't even know they have happened if it wasn't for the rev change and engine note.

I really would recommend this to everyone, a well worth while upgrade and an easy part to fit too with the most basic of tools. As said I wish I had done it a long time ago, just hadn't realised how things were until now. So I'm well pleased with the outcome.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 22:20   #62
timebandit

Where did you buy it and what's the part number? Does Volvo/Ford sell that version or only via 3rd party?
timebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 23:43   #63
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Timebandit, the lower engine torque mount is not sold here in the UK over the counter as it is meant for the Electric Ford Focus. I did try a Ford dealer but they were absolutely useless unless I was able to supply them a registration number that they could pull up on their system (obviously I didn't have this).

It was only after a little research into the torque mounts I came across a lot of the American Focus ST/RS forums going on about this E-Focus mount. Once I managed to obtain the part number I embarked on my quest to get hold of one, in the end I had to resort to importing one from the USA.

If you see my post (#55) on the previous page - LINKY! you will see pictures of the mount and you can see the part number too.

E-Focus mount part numbers:

CM58-6P082-BA - Engineering Part Number
CM5Z-6068-A - Ford Service Part Number

The part cost me £53 GBP and that included the delivery, I then had a small amount of import tax to pay on top of this but cost me less than £65 GBP all in. When I got round to fitting it was a very easy and quick job to do with basic tools.

You can get the mount from places such as this - LINKY!

Last edited by SonyVaio; Jul 31st, 2013 at 23:50.
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 11:40   #64
timebandit

Thanks for the reply.

Wonder if this fits all V50 or not?

Maybe a dumb question: what makes this better than the original Volvo part?
Old Aug 1st, 2013, 18:21   #65
SonyVaio
VOC Member

What makes the E-Focus mount so much better is the fact that is a complete bush with no holes or spaces which would allow the bush to flex that much more. The Volvo mount is absolutely lame and floppy compared to the vastly stiffer nature of the E-Focus mount.

The increased stiffness and rigidity is what stops the engine/gearbox movement and allowing for smoother changes.

If you read through the earlier parts of this thread you will find that there is others that had opted for some other mounts but have found they are just too stiff and causing excess vibration when engine is at idle.

This mount seems to be the ideal solution between having a very stiff bush but at the same time doesn't cause excess unwanted vibration. All I can say is I'm ultra happy with mine.

This should fit ALL S40/V50/C30/C70 models.

Old Aug 1st, 2013, 20:55   #66
timebandit

Thank you for a good explanation! I have read the whole tread 2 times but seems to have missed some info on the way.

Thanks.
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 10:45   #67
VenomS40
08 Volvo S40 SE Sport R-D

So the E-Focus mount is the one to go for over the mount first mentioned in the first post?

Volvo S40 SE Sport R-Design + Winter Pack
VenomS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 12:55   #68
Welton
Premier Member

Funnily enough I was thinking about my engine mount at the weekend as I've got a suspicion it's worn again! there's certainly more engine movement than I'd like so might order an E-mount next and give it a try.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 16:36   #69
scooby

some on ebay the E-Focus torque mount but £74.95 on ebay uk

or £56 ish from usa ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1814188881...169%26_rdc%3D1

Last edited by scooby; Sep 15th, 2014 at 17:07.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2014, 21:23   #70
RickyYates

Evening everyone,

After reading this post and all the replies I'm wondering if someone could clear something up for me?

I have a D5 with the Geartronic box and sometimes when pulling away at low speeds I hear and feel a 'clunk' noise during the gear change. It only happens once. I don't know if this is from 1st to 2nd gear or from 2nd to 3rd gear. Either way it doesn't always happen but it seems more common when the car is cold.

So after reading on here some people have stated that it could be the ABS self test or it could be the engine mount. Then someone wrote that the D5 doesn't have an engine mount because of the size of the engine and the servo pump/steering hoses are by the back of the gearbox.

If anyone knows that the D5 doesn't have an engine mount and it is likely to be the ABS self test I would be very grateful.
RickyYates is offline   Reply With Quote