Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New engine mount makes all the difference

Views : 25300

Replies : 114

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2013, 10:16   #51
logan3d

there's 2 engine mounts on the engine. top & bottom
logan3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 09:24   #52
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
Result - In my opinion the result is barely noticeable. Vibration is still not an issue which would be good for people who have that concern about the unit. But I bought the mount with the understanding that it would help smoothen gear changes. I feel that the mount has helped but only by a very small amount. For the £100 or so that the mount and labour cost I wouldn't recommend it. I will now begin looking for another solution to help.
I did say in my review it made no difference to the gearchange. The main reason for fitting the mount is that the T5 and Focus ST make a horrible banging noise otherwise known as wheel tramping as you make a fast getaway under full throttle from a standing start with the stock mount. It's also possible to do when changing from 1st to 2nd in a T5. I honestly don't know why you'd want to fit that Pumaspeed mount or any other uprated one to a car unless it exhibited that problem, especially on a diesel, given that vibration is fractionally more noticable with an uprated mount.

If I fitted that mount to our 1.6D V50 it would make the currently modest vibration slightly unbearable.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 13:33   #53
kane

Sorry... I wasn't placing blame or putting down your post. I really do apologise if it came across that way.

From other forums, others have said it helped gear change from 1st to 2nd. I can't say I noticed this.

As for tramping I didn't notice it to be an issue. All just my own opinion of course.

If you do notice tramping and it is becoming a problem for you then I could this mod helping you.
kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2013, 15:01   #54
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane View Post
Sorry... I wasn't placing blame or putting down your post. I really do apologise if it came across that way.
Not at all, you've nothing to apologise for mate ;-) Just thought I'd say that I had noticed no difference in the gearchange. I don't think the wheel tramping is an issue on anything other than the T5 (maybe the D5 although don't know). Just too much power for a standard mount.

The only thing you can be thankful of is that it's not the most expensive mod to do only to find it hasn't solved your problem. I nearly polybushed the whole car thinking it would solved my wheel tramping only to find this mount did the trick for a fraction of the cost.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 22:44   #55
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Hi all,

Well I got a Royal Mail card through the door yesterday to say I had a package at the Post Office but there was customs charge to pay. There was a whole £3.83 actual customs charge but Royal Mail charge a handling fee of £8 (so over 200% of my customs costs) to handle the charge and pay HMRC - WTF!!! Why can't you pay HMRC direct and have no handling fee?

Anyway! Lets move on.

So today I managed to pick my new Electric Ford Focus lower torque mount up from the Post Office - Yipee!

Not sure when I'll get round to fitting it but hopefully sometime this weekend.

Here is a couple of pictures:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0900.jpg (57.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0901.jpg (65.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0902.jpg (83.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0903.jpg (91.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0904.jpg (94.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0905.jpg (101.1 KB, 51 views)
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 04:17   #56
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Update,

Got round to fitting this Electric Ford Focus lower engine torque mount. It took me about 25min in total to get the car jacked up, put on axel stands, get the socket set out, remove engine cover and exchange old for new torque mounts.

The job was and is a very easy job, just 2 bolts to take off and pull old mount out then replace with new one. Replace bolts and get the engine cover back on the car.

As I was attending a BBQ today (yesterday now) I only managed a very quick journey of approx. 1 mile each way to the shops. Of course I'm going to have to go on a bit longer run to see how things truly are with the new mount. Early indications however are very good at the moment.

I was a little apprehensive that the new mount which is easily 5 to 10 times stiffer than the dog toffee mount that came out (although it had done over 150,000 miles) would be too harsh and rattle the car to bits, this is not the case. At idle the car was absolutely no different to before the change, so no harsh vibrations like others have reported with some manufacturers mounts.

The next bit was a nice surprise although I do appreciate that I've only done literally 2miles in total on the new mount. The gearshift on my geartronic has now got even more silky smooth. This is a total bonus as I wouldn't have said I had any issues what so ever with the gearchange before in my auto box. I would feel the car change gears prior to the mount change with a little engine knock/jolt/pause (not a flare) sort of thing between the changes . Pretty much what any auto box owner will know when an auto changes gears. Well after the mount change the gear changes are really smooth and you can barely even know when the change happens now.

The old mount although fully in tact and no cracking of the rubber or anything, you could however easily move the inner rubber part of the mount with your hand, unlike the Electric Focus mount which you couldn't even budge with your hand.

I'm now looking forward to taking the car for a longer run to see just how well it does perform.

Old Jul 21st, 2013, 08:30   #57
pgm
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
Update,

Got round to fitting this Electric Ford Focus lower engine torque mount. It took me about 25min in total to get the car jacked up, put on axel stands, get the socket set out, remove engine cover and exchange old for new torque mounts.

The job was and is a very easy job, just 2 bolts to take off and pull old mount out then replace with new one. Replace bolts and get the engine cover back on the car.

As I was attending a BBQ today (yesterday now) I only managed a very quick journey of approx. 1 mile each way to the shops. Of course I'm going to have to go on a bit longer run to see how things truly are with the new mount. Early indications however are very good at the moment.

I was a little apprehensive that the new mount which is easily 5 to 10 times stiffer than the dog toffee mount that came out (although it had done over 150,000 miles) would be too harsh and rattle the car to bits, this is not the case. At idle the car was absolutely no different to before the change, so no harsh vibrations like others have reported with some manufacturers mounts.

The next bit was a nice surprise although I do appreciate that I've only done literally 2miles in total on the new mount. The gearshift on my geartronic has now got even more silky smooth. This is a total bonus as I wouldn't have said I had any issues what so ever with the gearchange before in my auto box. I would feel the car change gears prior to the mount change with a little engine knock/jolt/pause (not a flare) sort of thing between the changes . Pretty much what any auto box owner will know when an auto changes gears. Well after the mount change the gear changes are really smooth and you can barely even know when the change happens now.

The old mount although fully in tact and no cracking of the rubber or anything, you could however easily move the inner rubber part of the mount with your hand, unlike the Electric Focus mount which you couldn't even budge with your hand.

I'm now looking forward to taking the car for a longer run to see just how well it does perform.

Looking forward to your review of this. I dont normally do harsh starts with my T5 but the one time I did try it I thought I had broken it!

Paul
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 12:31   #58
SonyVaio
VOC Member

I'll keep you posted, although it will probably be towards the end of the week as I've got a task on which I've got a hire vehicle for.

Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 16:11   #59
tightlinesmart

Unhappy help me please

hi guys im in dire need of advice , i bought a s40 2.0 d 05 plate 80000 miles after a few days a knocking started when i change gear and brake so changed torque arm as you are discussing a few days later knocking started again so changed all 3 mounts brilliant drove like a dream ,but for only 3 days now knocking has started again and can feel every bump through steering wheel im really at the end of my tether now please can someone advice me on this matter thanks tightlinesmart
tightlinesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 21:56   #60
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightlinesmart View Post
hi guys im in dire need of advice , i bought a s40 2.0 d 05 plate 80000 miles after a few days a knocking started when i change gear and brake so changed torque arm as you are discussing a few days later knocking started again so changed all 3 mounts brilliant drove like a dream ,but for only 3 days now knocking has started again and can feel every bump through steering wheel im really at the end of my tether now please can someone advice me on this matter thanks tightlinesmart
Sounds like your problem is more drop link (anti roll bar link) related, maybe even wishbone bushes or bottom ball joints.