Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on buying an ex Police V70 T5

Views : 13265

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2012, 19:22   #1
bluetownbarry

Default Advice on buying an ex Police V70 T5

Hi,

Just looking for some general advice &/or opinions.

I'm looking for a V70 phase 2 and sadly funds are a bit limited. I've seen a few ex-police V70s up for sale and I know one or two of you have owned ex-police Volvos.

Aside from the usual advice that applies to any used car, is there anything I should be aware of when looking at an ex-police car?

Many thanks in advance
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=182891
bluetownbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 19:35   #2
bluetownbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetownbarry View Post
Hi,

Just looking for some general advice &/or opinions.

I'm looking for a V70 phase 2 and sadly funds are a bit limited. I've seen a few ex-police V70s up for sale and I know one or two of you have owned ex-police Volvos.

Aside from the usual advice that applies to any used car, is there anything I should be aware of when looking at an ex-police car?

Many thanks in advance
Anyone?
Old May 25th, 2012, 20:07   #3
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

I'll help yer out here............

my lad has just bought (feb 2012) an S60 Ex northumbria Plod ARV (armed response Vehicle)

All the "usual" things apply & you will find that "they" (The cars) are VERY VERY well looked after I have an S80 myself (that is Ex west Mercia Plod, Undercover car) Drugs squad .. & i can say it has never REALLY let me down ever ... as long as you keep up with the "Messages" that pop up from time to time you'll have a FINE FINE CAR that will last you ages ...

I have NO AFILLATION with thse guys at all but I can HIGHLY recommend them for supplying GOOD HONEST EX PLOD VEHICLES at VERY reasonable Prices

http://www.expolicecar.co.uk/

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2012, 20:37   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

Limited funds ? T5?
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 20:51   #5
bluetownbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Limited funds ? T5?
Yeah that pretty much sums up what I've seen.
Old May 26th, 2012, 22:38   #6
robsv40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
I'll help yer out here............

my lad has just bought (feb 2012) an S60 Ex northumbria Plod ARV (armed response Vehicle)

All the "usual" things apply & you will find that "they" (The cars) are VERY VERY well looked after I have an S80 myself (that is Ex west Mercia Plod, Undercover car) Drugs squad .. & i can say it has never REALLY let me down ever ... as long as you keep up with the "Messages" that pop up from time to time you'll have a FINE FINE CAR that will last you ages ...

I have NO AFILLATION with thse guys at all but I can HIGHLY recommend them for supplying GOOD HONEST EX PLOD VEHICLES at VERY reasonable Prices

http://www.expolicecar.co.uk/

Keith

Wow that's cheap!
robsv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 22:44   #7
Aveton Gifford
VOC Member

Blimey!!! they are cheap!!! I've bookmarked that site for the future
Aveton Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 00:42   #8
bluetownbarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Limited funds ? T5?
Hmm just re-read your post and perhaps can see what you are getting at - I should clarify, limited (cash) funds to purchase not to maintain.

I've got four potentential ex-plod V70s direct from police for under £1500 on watch at the moment.

I'm not put off by plus 175k mileage as I've run two Volvos on higher mileage than this, I was looking for some constructive advice on running an ex-plod motor taking into account there non-standard/different spec.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluetownbarry For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:03   #9
sneakypenguin

I've had mine since feb and barring a few little niggles (fuel pump and fuel filter were goosed) it is a superb car. Very economical on a run and not too bad when you hoof it. What I have found is the suspension is harder than I'm used too (previos car was an omega elite) and it didn't have a boot floor, just a big piece of mdf.
Found a colour matching floor and all bits in a local scrappy, removed the plod metal brackets, put the original plastic ones back in and it all clips into place.

Mine didn't have a radio in, just a hole, so after a bit of rummaging found the oem leads tucked down the back, pulled them through and put the police spec ones (2 grey and a data cable) out the way. Then put bullet connectors on the speaker cables, connected it all up and it works a treat.

To be honest, apart from not having leather and cruise control (can be retrofitted if you want it) there is a massive amount of difference. Yes it maybe be higher mileage than a normal car but it will have been maintained to the highest standard by the police and goes like a mouse with a rocket up it's bum.

mick
Dice/Vida
sneakypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sneakypenguin For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:08   #10
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypenguin View Post
I've had mine since feb and barring a few little niggles (fuel pump and fuel filter were goosed) it is a superb car. Very economical on a run and not too bad when you hoof it. What I have found is the suspension is harder than I'm used too (previos car was an omega elite) and it didn't have a boot floor, just a big piece of mdf.
Found a colour matching floor and all bits in a local scrappy, removed the plod metal brackets, put the original plastic ones back in and it all clips into place.

Mine didn't have a radio in, just a hole, so after a bit of rummaging found the oem leads tucked down the back, pulled them through and put the police spec ones (2 grey and a data cable) out the way. Then put bullet connectors on the speaker cables, connected it all up and it works a treat.

To be honest, apart from not having leather and cruise control (can be retrofitted if you want it) there is a massive amount of difference. Yes it maybe be higher mileage than a normal car but it will have been maintained to the highest standard by the police and goes like a mouse with a rocket up it's bum.

mick
Yeah Totally Agree with Mick on this one .... there are VERY FEW "Major" differences to "Standard" V70 T5's .....If you look on Vadis it has a separate section of "Police Spec".....

"Major" differences are (according to Vadis)

"Diesel Suspension" on Petrol T5's (Stiffer/Stronger due to Weight of Diesel Engine)

Larger Discs & Brake pads ect ect

Some (But not all) have larger Turbo's fitted

Cloth Seating/Non Electric Seats

No Cruise Control or Radio

Some (like Pauls) come with "shatter-proof Glass" Paul's Windscreen must be 1 INCH THICK!!

Going back to That Site I linked to, one of the BETTER things they do is remove the interior headlining & Fibre-Glass on the INSIDE the Roof holes & then Fill & Spray the exterior of the roof (radio aerial Holes ect ect).. I do not know another Co that takes THAT MUCH trouble to do this (usually its a "Thumb Full" of Filler & a quick rub down & thats it)

If any of you guys wanna go over & have a look at them they are about 3 miles further down the road from where we all met at the Rishworth meet last month ... For you guys "further A Field" they will Deliver to ANY PART OF THE UK for PEANUTS ...

Theres a s60 on there ATM (with a private Reg) it was sold to a guy in Portsmouth (I THINK he bin on here once or twice) when he wanted another V70 he rang em up chose one & they Delivered it to him & Collected his "old" S60 ... GOOD is that Dont yer think ??

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; May 27th, 2012 at 06:12.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote