Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 Leaking Fluid

Views : 740

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2011, 18:36   #1
gmtgmt

Default 960 Leaking Fluid

my newley bought 1990 960 B6304FS has a problem its sometimes leaking fluid onto the exhurst down pipe right behind the engine running down the right side of the bell housing on the transmission

i have not taken a look at it other then i know its leaking at idle
im thinking it migh be from the ECC but it smells like burnt coolent

the thing is it dosent use any coolent but it does look kinda oily. i drove it 4 hours and about 150miles from the person i bought it from never did the tempeture change it stayed right before the center of the gauge the whole trip. the oil dosent look like have any coolent in it or smells like it

any thoughts on this. im going to inverstergate it tommrow at work but i thought maby somone had same experience
gmtgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 18:53   #2
GrandadRob

From memory, the only things on that side are brake fluid reservoir, and coolant. Are you losing any brake fluid.
GrandadRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 18:56   #3
T240
Pure is Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtgmt View Post
my newley bought 1990 960 B6304FS has a problem its sometimes leaking fluid onto the exhurst down pipe right behind the engine running down the right side of the bell housing on the transmission

i have not taken a look at it other then i know its leaking at idle
im thinking it migh be from the ECC but it smells like burnt coolent

the thing is it dosent use any coolent but it does look kinda oily. i drove it 4 hours and about 150miles from the person i bought it from never did the tempeture change it stayed right before the center of the gauge the whole trip. the oil dosent look like have any coolent in it or smells like it

any thoughts on this. im going to inverstergate it tommrow at work but i thought maby somone had same experience
That could be the coolant transfer pipe leaking from the outlet that goes to the heater.

The worst case scenario you just don't want to know.

Cheers,

T
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 19:28   #4
gmtgmt

Worst case scenario is a leaking engine block

mine is not a Right hand drive but left hand drive so i have all the AC stuff on the right hand
gmtgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 21:01   #5
StanC
'Mature' Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtgmt View Post
Worst case scenario is a leaking engine block

mine is not a Right hand drive but left hand drive so i have all the AC stuff on the right hand
Check out the heater hoses at the back end of the engine, especially where one connects to the cylinder head. Also examine the control valve. Make sure all the clips are tight and that there are no splits. In one of the worst case scenarios - the leaking heater matrix - any leakage is most likely to be inside the car because even if the stub fails that's still inside the bulkhead - so have a look under the carpets.

If you have an AC leak that would show oily deposits.

Another (unpleasant) possibility is the head gasket - I had an oil leak from mine a couple of years ago. An oil channel runs between the head and block just inside the extreme rear/right hand corner of the head/block assembly. The gasket failed in that corner and chucked oil just where you describe - need a strip and new gasket.

Good luck with it.

Stan.
StanC is offline   Reply With Quote