Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0D Throttle Body Cleaning Guide

Views : 80288

Replies : 132

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2016, 20:26   #111
OCW

Default Problem Solved!

Hi, I'm a new owner of V50 2009 2 litre diesel and had this problem with intermittent starting soon after buying - never owned a Volvo before and I was really disappointed. I had researched the problem and found info about throttle flap sticking and found this excellent thread but seeing that people had cleaned theirs up and it hadn't made a difference I was getting despondent and thought it wasn't worth trying. BUT over the Christmas break I gave it a go, thanks to the help of this guide from the OP and my Grandad's mechanical savvy we took it apart and cleaned all the crud out, then spent quite a while with the emery paper sanding a small gap so it wouldn't stick and two weeks later my car is firing up beautifully each time. So my post is to say thanks for this guide, hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones where this has solved the problem. I'm also now fuelling up with VPower diesel in the hopes to keep it running clean. Thanks all for the sharing the knowledge.
OCW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OCW For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 11:12   #112
domov2

I attempted this today and I ran into a problem.

How do you get the tube off shown in the picture below?

domov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 11:17   #113
paddyred
Master Member

Its just a piece of rubber tube thats a push fit over the fitting. If you pull it hard enough it will come off. If not try twisting it, theres no clips on those at all.
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 12:36   #114
domov2

Thanks, looks like I have a different problem now. One of the bolts (which ive used a 4mm hex/allen key to remove) has been rounded off which means I cant remove it.
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 12:49   #115
paddyred
Master Member

I could have sworn the bolts that hold it on are Torx drivers not allen keys. Have you got a set of torx bits?
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 21:35   #116
domov2

You are correct. They are not allen keys but they looked like it on first glance. I managed to take one off one on the bolts with a 4mm allen key. I dont have any torx bits
Old Apr 24th, 2016, 21:56   #117
paddyred
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domov2 View Post
You are correct. They are not allen keys but they looked like it on first glance. I managed to take one off one on the bolts with a 4mm allen key. I dont have any torx bits
If you get a set of torx bits then you might be able to get the rest off without rounding them!
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 11:15   #118
S40Karl57

Default s40 2.0d 57

Been having a few issues with my S40 For almost a year now, Took it into garage under wty one morning when it wouldn't start after weeks of hassle they replaced the fuel pump. Now that the cold weather has returned its refusing to fire first go like it has all summer so i will give the throttle body a go at cleaning, Also i have fitted a non return valve to the clear pipe that goes to the pump seems to hold the fuel better new set of glow plugs will be fitted hopefully this will help anyone in the same boat as me
S40Karl57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 11:59   #119
1616six

Hi guys

Forgive me for not reading every post but I don't suppose it's possible to clean the TB in situ?

I tried to remove it however the top 2 torx screws come out fine, the harder to get to, lower screw has unfortunately rounded off so I can't actually remove it!

Failing that, any ideas on how to remove the rounded torx screw? It's obviously poor access down there.

Cheers
1616six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2017, 19:49   #120
1616six

Anyone?

1616six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vaiotag