Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

iOS 4.3 - it works!!

Views : 5042

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 19:43   #1
Gaskit

Default iOS 4.3 - it works!!

I've just downloaded the new iOS 4.3 to my iPhone and I'm delighted to say that my car can finally read it again. Hopefully no more "USB unreadable" messages.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaskit For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 20:57   #2
scw

Just tried 4.3 on my iTouch with Sensus and can confirm it still works over USB as before.

Bluetooth pairing with the iTouch (for A2DP) also seems to be much improved. Previously it was very hit and miss. Now I can channel all audio wirelessly from my iTouch through the car, even for Apps. Perfect for playing Angry Birds in the fast lane of the M25*.

* Kidding, for the humour-impaired!
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 11:30   #3
JNeail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskit View Post
I've just downloaded the new iOS 4.3 to my iPhone and I'm delighted to say that my car can finally read it again. Hopefully no more "USB unreadable" messages.
Even on the older stereo fitted to the MY10 i.e. not the new media centre variant? Do you know it fixes the issue when trying to scroll through a huge library (64GB iTouch) and it crashing the iPod interface all together (requires a ignition off power cycle to clear)?

PS: I tried iTunes yesterday and it didn't offer me iOS4.3 yet... wonder if that because I'm running iOS4.1?

Last edited by JNeail; Mar 10th, 2011 at 11:35.
JNeail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 12:00   #4
Superbenj

Quote:
What version of phone do you have?

Has anyone tried a 3g (no s) or a 4 as yet? Just got both of these connected yesterday, so don't want to scuttle them a day later!
Superbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 12:09   #5
mfresh
Nice person

iOS 4.3 apparently works with the Volvo USB interface, but what happens if a future firmware upgrade from Apple makes it stop working again?

The answer is to downgrade your firmware back to 4.3, but Apple does not allow you to downgrade your firmware back to a lower version once you have upgraded it.

Fortunately it IS actually possible to downgrade to an earlier version, but only if you previously saved a vital piece of data (called an SHSH blob) before you upgraded.

So my advice to anyone with an iPhone (or iPod Touch) who wants to be sure of always being able to use their phone in their Volvo with the USB interface is this:

1. Upgrade to iOS 4.3 in the next few days and check that it works properly with your car.

2. Download a very simple piece of free software called TinyUmbrella from here:http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ that will save your SHSH blob for you

3. Run the software, plug in your iphone/ipod touch and click the button that says "Save SHSH"

Once you have done this you can forget about the whole thing, until such time as you upgrade to a new version of Apple's software in a few months time and find that your iphone no longer works with your Volvo. If this happens then because you have saved this SHSH blob while running 4.3 you WILL be able to downgrade back to 4.3 and use your phone again with your Volvo.

Simples.

(If you don't find it "simples" feel free to message me for help...)
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfresh For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 15:48   #6
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNeail View Post

PS: I tried iTunes yesterday and it didn't offer me iOS4.3 yet... wonder if that because I'm running iOS4.1?

Apple released it late (UK time) last night, think it was about 9pm'ish so if you tried before then it wouldn't show.

I upgrade my iPhone & iPad this morning to IOS4.3 but haven't tried it in my car yet.

It's best to upgrade iTunes before installing IOS4.3, the latest version of iTunes is 10.2.1. It was released earlier this week.

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 16:47   #7
JNeail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie View Post
Apple released it late (UK time) last night, think it was about 9pm'ish so if you tried before then it wouldn't show.

I upgrade my iPhone & iPad this morning to IOS4.3 but haven't tried it in my car yet.

It's best to upgrade iTunes before installing IOS4.3, the latest version of iTunes is 10.2.1. It was released earlier this week.
Cheers Chaddie - I've got the latest iTunes, but I looked for the iOS update yesterday lunch time so that'll explain all ;-)

Will have a look again when I get in tonight and let you know how I get on..

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 09:01   #8
JNeail

Quote:
Can confirm this also works for me - I can also now scroll my massive 64GB track list by artist etc without crashing the car stereo.... Bonus!

See it was an Apple issue all along - to all those Apple lovers out there on the net who suggested it was Volvo at fault when they were not!

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 10:30   #9
scw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNeail View Post
See it was an Apple issue all along - to all those Apple lovers out there on the net who suggested it was Volvo at fault when they were not!
I very much doubt it is as cut and dry as you claim. In any situation where software from different vendors (Apple and Volvo in this case) interacts, they do so according to a published API spec. In most cases, the use of this API is pretty clear and obvious but there are always unforeseen grey areas or ambiguities in any spec.

What can happen in these cases is that company 2 (say, Volvo) interprets the spec in a way which is slightly different to that intended by company 1 (say, Apple). Company 2 develops and tests their software using the particular version of company 1's software which was current at the time.

However, company 1 is continually refining their software and one of those refinements changes very subtly something which company 2's interpretation of the spec relied upon. This could be something as simple as the timing between API calls changing because the new software is better optimised. In any case, the end result is breakage.

Obviously in this case Apple should have done more thorough interoperability testing, especially since there are quite a few Volvos parked up at Infinite Loop, Cupertino.
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 16:27   #10
MrBlueGnu

I have just downloaded the Os 4.3 to my iphone 4 and still get the 'Unreadable' message. I read this forum and was pinning all my hopes on this upgrade.

I haven't had any ipod (5th Gen - photo, I think running 1.2.1) or iphone 4 running 4.2 or 4.3 work.

I only ever get the 'unreadable' message. Starting to pull my own hair

Any other advise that anyone can give - how come it works for ll of you !!!!

Matt

My11 XC90 R Design with Premium Audio
MrBlueGnu is offline   Reply With Quote