Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy 20” Tyre - what to replace them with?

Views : 1245

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 07:56   #1
AL NZ

Default Noisy 20” Tyre - what to replace them with?

I bought an XC90 a year ago - for me the road noise was a deal breaker, but I was vetoed as the car is primarily for my wife and in all other respects ticked all our boxes. ( I’d have bought a CX9 at less than 2/3 the price).

Anyway, tyre wear is good, at least 5mm left at 30,000km. The tyres are Michelin Latitude Sport 3
I hate the road noise and I have been googling the net for the quietest 275/45 x 20 SUV tyre, with no real answers. I realize it may be the vehicle and not the tyres

I have an ancient Tribeca on Michelin Latitude Cross, similar name, totally different tyre, in 18” and absolutely awesome for an SUV that does a little bit of snow/gravel/wet fields . Unfortunately not available bigger than 18”. Quiet too !

Has anyone found a good all season replacement 20” for their XC90 which is quieter?
All advice appreciated
AL NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 09:17   #2
Deman77
Master Member

You have a better tyre for noise unless you had a dud batch which cannot be ruled out. You can get the ones with foam inside to make it better still but if the road noise is unbearable then you must have other issues.

Check wheel balancing if noise is at high speed

Check suspension for issues.

Most importantly check that b pillar TJ has been applied - it makes a big difference. If they say car is old enough for it not to matter ask them to investigate it is done correctly as there were instances it wasn’t done right at the factory even after TJ.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 09:52   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Please dont get me started on this one again, all I can say is the XC90 is a huge fail as far as road noise is concerned, had my air suspension checked and double checked, TJ carried out and tried different tyre pressures and tyres swapped to the contisilents and not a jot of difference. Avoid Continental tyres at all costs.
As OP says its the one big thing that lets this car down and 20" wheels seem to be worse than any other size.
On smooth new tarmac roads the car is really quiet but not many roads like that in the north of England, we get compacted chippings or coarse agregate tarmac which causes a lot of road noise and the XC90 just seem to amplify the noise.
I too would like to know which is the best tyre on the XC90 re noise level.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:26   #4
AL NZ

Thanks for the replies
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the TJ ?

PS I do know where the B pillar is however
AL NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:44   #5
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

20" rimz innit bro bling like orwite.

how about 16" wheels with sensible tyres. Much more appropriate for an offroader that might have to venture up the occasional kerb or pothole.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:50   #6
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL NZ View Post
Thanks for the replies
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the TJ ?

PS I do know where the B pillar is however
Technical Journal. It is essentially a technical bulletin issued by Volvo to their dealers usually with instructions on how to modify something for cars in the market.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:51   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

What about dropping to 19inch rims? Mine is perfectly quiet on 19s and Michelin tyres.
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 11:09   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

You cant get an inscription with 19" wheels, they wont do it, I would have even gone down to 18" as on the MK 1 XC90 but you cant spec them on an inscription, you can only spec larger wheels.
Volvo should sort the problem out, the customer should not have to spend another £2k or more to make the car slightly better. It should be like a premium car they claim it to be straight from the factory.
But yes if I see any 19" wheels in same style for sale I will buy them for when my tyres wear out.
My last post on this as I have expressed my feeling on other posts about this issue.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 11:10   #9
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL NZ View Post
I bought an XC90 a year ago - for me the road noise was a deal breaker, but I was vetoed as the car is primarily for my wife and in all other respects ticked all our boxes. ( I’d have bought a CX9 at less than 2/3 the price).

Anyway, tyre wear is good, at least 5mm left at 30,000km. The tyres are Michelin Latitude Sport 3
I hate the road noise and I have been googling the net for the quietest 275/45 x 20 SUV tyre, with no real answers. I realize it may be the vehicle and not the tyres

I have an ancient Tribeca on Michelin Latitude Cross, similar name, totally different tyre, in 18” and absolutely awesome for an SUV that does a little bit of snow/gravel/wet fields . Unfortunately not available bigger than 18”. Quiet too !

Has anyone found a good all season replacement 20” for their XC90 which is quieter?
All advice appreciated
Hi,

I (and many others) have also taken issue with road noise. My car is a MY17 car on 20s and air. There is a huge post here on this subject. In summary since that thread started:

1. Volvo introduced a fix which allowed additional sound deadening to be added to the b-pilllar. I believe this became standard on later (MY18?) cars.

2. Volvo also started fitting ContiSilent tyres to cars, which have a foam insert stuck to the inside of the tyres which is supposed to absorb some of the sound from the Continental tyres.

My car was originally on the none silent version of the continentals, and didn't have the b-pillar fix.

I had the b-pillar fix carried out, which made a small difference.

Then my dealer and Volvo covered the cost of swapping my tyres to the new Conti Silents when they became available. Again the difference was noticeable, but not that significant.

The Conti Silents they fitted did 15k miles and I replaced them for Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Acoustic Technology. To me, this change made the greatest difference to road noise.

With all the above changes in place, its not the quietest car on the road, but I'm finding it more than acceptable.

We also had an MY18 loan car from the dealer for a day. Now it was a Momentum on 19s, so not a fair comparison in terms of road noise, but it definitely felt as if the car was all round better insulated, with less intrusion of general outside noise and engine noise (others on the forum have reported similar observations).

That's my experience to date. In the future, I would go for 20s again, but wouldn't accept a car with Conti's, and I'd also specify laminated windows.

:wq
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 11:26   #10
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
We also had an MY18 loan car from the dealer for a day. Now it was a Momentum on 19s, so not a fair comparison in terms of road noise, but it definitely felt as if the car was all round better insulated, with less intrusion of general outside noise and engine noise (others on the forum have reported similar observations).
Yep, I've found recent loan cars to be noticeably quieter than mine.

It looks like Volvo have made improvements but haven't documented it so as not to imply that there was anything 'wrong' with the early cars.