Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav Television whilst driving .......

Views : 1758

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 16:21   #21
andy1

Default RE: Sat Nav Television whilst driving .......

having a heart attack is the least of my worries mate, being relative young, fit, and healthy, getting wiped out my some moron who sees nothing wrong with using a hand held mobile or watching tv whilst driving is a far more real threat as recent experiance proves, i think your the one who needs to use a bit of common how can you compare listning to the stereo, talking or a glance over your shoulder with trying to dial, and use a mobile whilst driving, get real, which is why all the aformentioned things are still legal whilst using hand held mobiles aint
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 16:56   #22
George Holmer

Nothing is legal if it makes you drive without due care. One could not, for example, drive down the A4 and run over someone and then blame that on a lack of concentration due to talking to a mate sitting in the passanger seat any more than one could blame it on talking on the phone. Anything that is not directly related to driving distracts the driver from the driving and thus presents an increased risk. This is why, for example, RDS radios and climate control are part of active safety, that is safety devices that prevent an accident.

Looking over your shoulder or sorting out the kids in the back are as distracting as talking on the phone, research clearly shows this. In fact, there is little difference in concentration between someone driving while talking on a handheld phone or via a handsfree kit.

Would you feel less angry with the driver who ran you off your bike if it had been because he was changing a CD rather than talking on the phone?

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 Volvo 945 Polar LPT
'87 Volvo 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 16:58   #23
George Holmer

The problem with banning specific things is that people think that those things that are not banned are safe or at least safer. It seems to me that the point he was making was that it is illegal to drive without due care, reading maps and papers include that IF they prevent you from driving with due care.

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/Signature.JPG]

'95 Volvo 945 Polar LPT
'87 Volvo 745 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler
'86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2