Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High pitched whine from the vicinity of the auxiliary belt

Views : 1204

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2022, 11:32   #1
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default High pitched whine from the vicinity of the auxiliary belt

A high pitched whine started this morning on my T8. Definitely engine rev related and when I opened the bonnet it seems to be from the auxiliary belt (or something it is driving) on the drivers side of the engine bay. More noisy on tickover, reving the engine a bit makes it disappear. Any ideas? Likely to be the belt, or something it is driving? Any quick solutions?

Thanks in advance
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 15:43   #2
Lexman8
Premier Member

Iirc the power steering, aircon compressor and water pump are all powered electrically on a T8 so that just leaves the alternator being driven by the engine.

The fact that it's engine rev related would appear to point to the alternator or its belt.

Not much help but perhaps turning off the aircon would eliminate the compressor as a source of the noise?

Also, I assume that there's only one water pump for both engine cooling and for the aux heater so turning on pre-heat might reveal the pump as the source of noise?

EDIT: Does a T8 even have a conventional alternator? I think it probably does as energy recovery is presumably achieived via the rear motor.

Last edited by Lexman8; Apr 25th, 2022 at 15:50.
Lexman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 16:29   #3
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Iirc the power steering, aircon compressor and water pump are all powered electrically on a T8 so that just leaves the alternator being driven by the engine.

The fact that it's engine rev related would appear to point to the alternator or its belt.

Not much help but perhaps turning off the aircon would eliminate the compressor as a source of the noise?

Also, I assume that there's only one water pump for both engine cooling and for the aux heater so turning on pre-heat might reveal the pump as the source of noise?

EDIT: Does a T8 even have a conventional alternator? I think it probably does as energy recovery is presumably achieived via the rear motor.
Thanks Lexman. As I understand it, the T8 has a starter generator which is mechanically connected. I have also always thought this to be the large box with the orange 400v connectors on the passenger side of the engine bay, but I might be wrong.

I also understand power steering to be electrically driven and ac too. Which leads me to wonder what exactly is being driven by this aux belt? There is definitely a belt in this area and it is definitely where the noise is coming from. It also runs round some pulleys but I cannot see any more. I wonder if it is just the engine water pump off this belt? I am assuming the belt I can see will not be the cambelt as the cambelt would always be under a cover? Besides this belt does not come to the top of the engine so it cannot be the cambelt.

Aircon was off when I heard it this morning, I will try pre conditioning and just listen to rule out that, but it is looking increasingly like the belt. Would spraying the tiniest bit of silicon spray on it get rid of the noise or just make it slip like crazy I wonder?
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 16:53   #4
Tony H

I get a high pitched whine from the passenger seat area.....

But it stops when the wife gets out!!!

Sorry - I'll get my coat!
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony H For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 18:53   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony H View Post

Sorry - I'll get my coat!
I think she might get it for you.....
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 21:59   #6
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Thanks Lexman. As I understand it, the T8 has a starter generator which is mechanically connected. I have also always thought this to be the large box with the orange 400v connectors on the passenger side of the engine bay, but I might be wrong.

I also understand power steering to be electrically driven and ac too. Which leads me to wonder what exactly is being driven by this aux belt? There is definitely a belt in this area and it is definitely where the noise is coming from. It also runs round some pulleys but I cannot see any more. I wonder if it is just the engine water pump off this belt? I am assuming the belt I can see will not be the cambelt as the cambelt would always be under a cover? Besides this belt does not come to the top of the engine so it cannot be the cambelt.

Aircon was off when I heard it this morning, I will try pre conditioning and just listen to rule out that, but it is looking increasingly like the belt. Would spraying the tiniest bit of silicon spray on it get rid of the noise or just make it slip like crazy I wonder?
Just drop some water (or spray from a handheld pump spray) or tip a little bit onto the belt when it's spinning from a milk bottle, water won't damage it and will silence any belt squeaks if that's the cause. Old known mechanics trick.

You have an older T8, isn't the supercharger also belt driven and always spinning? Might be worth checking with a long screwdriver and put your ear to the handle against the metal engine block to see if you can hear any bearing noises.
rhd443 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhd443 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 22:24   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd443 View Post
Just drop some water (or spray from a handheld pump spray) or tip a little bit onto the belt when it's spinning from a milk bottle, water won't damage it and will silence any belt squeaks if that's the cause. Old known mechanics trick.

You have an older T8, isn't the supercharger also belt driven and always spinning? Might be worth checking with a long screwdriver and put your ear to the handle against the metal engine block to see if you can hear any bearing noises.
Ah, supercharger, hadn't thought of that. B***er, that will be expensive if it is that. I will try the water trick tomorrow and report back.

It is a funny whine. It is only there between tickover and maybe 2k revs, then it disappears. With the T8 engine switching on and off frequently you tend to hear it before the engine shuts down. It does kind of sound like a dry bearing as the noise dies away, but more like a belt squeak when it is louder. It is also very consistent, which is leading me to thinking that it is something that is driven by the belt rather than the belt itself.

Will report more tomorrow.
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 14:30   #8
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Put some drops of water on it but no change to the sound. Someone at work suggested there will also be a belt tensioner there which will have a bearing in it. He agreed with me that it sounds like a dry bearing.

My friendly dealer have offered to take a very quick look tomorrow at 8.30am. Fingers crossed......
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 18:55   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Stopped by my friendly dealer on my way to work this morning and the master tech took a look and listen at the noise.

He put his worried face on. "I don't want to worry you but.......".

So he thinks it could be a number of things, including possibly the balancing shafts which he has seen on another car. He was keen that I drove it as little as possible until they have had chance to diagnose it.

I am due to drop it off tomorrow pm and pick up a courtesy car (earliest that they had a car) and they will start a proper diagnosis. I have left it at work tonight and come home in the hateful pool car (2019 Corolla), didn't want to risk another 100 miles on my car.

I will report back when I know more. I was just thinking it had been very reliable for the last 2 years and 30k miles since the electric motor was done. Still let's hope this isn't worst case.......
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2022, 19:11   #10
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Stopped by my friendly dealer on my way to work this morning and the master tech took a look and listen at the noise.

He put his worried face on. "I don't want to worry you but.......".

So he thinks it could be a number of things, including possibly the balancing shafts which he has seen on another car. He was keen that I drove it as little as possible until they have had chance to diagnose it.

I am due to drop it off tomorrow pm and pick up a courtesy car (earliest that they had a car) and they will start a proper diagnosis. I have left it at work tonight and come home in the hateful pool car (2019 Corolla), didn't want to risk another 100 miles on my car.

I will report back when I know more. I was just thinking it had been very reliable for the last 2 years and 30k miles since the electric motor was done. Still let's hope this isn't worst case.......

🤞🙏 and anything else you can think of!
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote