Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on removing rear anti-roll bar

Views : 905

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2013, 16:35   #1
myshed

Default Advice on removing rear anti-roll bar

Worn arb bushes, and an MOT advisory. Following posts in this forum, have purchased a set of new bushes. Have disconnected the arb, and it's free to come off vehicle. Was hoping to do this with minimum dismantling, and could then have arb on bench to do bushes properly. But there is much more dismantling that needs to be done to actually get arb off the car.

Apols if this has been covered elsewhere - searches yielded much about the bushes, but nothing about actually getting the bar off!

Any advice welcome

THanks

V70 d5 2004
myshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 17:08   #2
Thehood
I've Been Banned

Would have thought your workshop manual should explain the procedure in detail
Thehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 17:43   #3
myshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehood View Post
Would have thought your workshop manual should explain the procedure in detail
Hi, TheHood, and thanks for reply

I note you are a recent subscriber to this forum - hope you find it useful.

There are 3 sources of information for undertaking work on Volvos - Volvo, "popular bookshelf" workshop manuals, and the collective knowledge of those who work on/own/restore etc Volvos.

The latter has consistently proven to be the most valuable and helpful.

Last edited by myshed; Aug 20th, 2013 at 17:46.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 20:40   #4
GrantA
Master Member

Don't know if there are any differences between the ARBs on a Gen 2 2004 V70 and the ARBs on a Gen 3 2007> V70 but if you get no joy here you could try the part of the Forum that covers your car.

BTW is it the front or rear ARB? Reason I ask is, having just had a look in my Haynes (V70 June 2007 - 2012), the front ARB is a great deal more difficult to remove than the rear one and involves dropping the front sub frames. This what my Haynes Manual says but I stress it is for the Gen 3 V70 June 2007 to 2012 models:

"Note: Volvo advise that this task can be undertaken by lowering the rear of the front subframe. In practice, this is likely to prove difficult unless the vehicle can be raised sufficiently using a ramp or lift. We therefore removed the subframe in order to undertake this task."
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 09:17   #5
GrantA
Master Member

Ooops, just re-read the heading of your post and it's the rear ARB so shouldn't be a problem according to my Haynes Manual, but of course that is for 2007 to 2012 V70, yours should be similar if not the same.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 10:21   #6
myshed

THanks for your input - but I you all an apology. THis almost septegenarian pensioner with a bad headcold having a multi-senior moment/day (any excuses!!)

Fisrstly, the Haynes Manual seems not to be helpful - why would I want to take the load off the LEFT shocker before disconnecting the RIGHT - and how does that help?

Secondly - I've posted this into the Phase 3 Forum when it should have been the Phase 2 Forum.

Bad day!! Think I'll go sailing instead
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 13:56   #7
Thehood
I've Been Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshed View Post
Hi, TheHood, and thanks for reply

I note you are a recent subscriber to this forum - hope you find it useful.

There are 3 sources of information for undertaking work on Volvos - Volvo, "popular bookshelf" workshop manuals, and the collective knowledge of those who work on/own/restore etc Volvos.

The latter has consistently proven to be the most valuable and helpful.
Thanks for the tip pops on sourcing technical info I will bear it in mind, your dead right places such as this are invaluable , however, having relevant manufacturers technical material at hand is also invaluable, a quick reference to my copy of vadis gave me the exact info you require in seconds.
Now if I may be so bold is a tip for you, convert your Micky mouse Haynes manual into toilet paper and purchase a copy of vadis

Ps a final tip...enjoy your sailing and be sure to let a responsible adult know where your planning to sail to and when you hope to be back , And ALWAYS wear a life jacket

Last edited by Thehood; Aug 21st, 2013 at 14:10.
Thehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 11:47   #8
myshed

As principal of an RYA training centre and RNLI Sea Safety Advisor it's encouraging to hear others singing off same hymn sheet