Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

removing wagon headliner

Views : 389

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2024, 21:15   #1
gjr0

Default removing wagon headliner

'67 P220
took a detour on the way to the upper control arm bushings, replacing the gaskets under the upper rear hatch hinges. I need to remove the 50 year old headliner to get at the nuts that hold the hinges to the roof.

The manual unhelpfully suggests cutting the headliner to remove it. Short of that, is there a way to get the back edge loose without destroying it ?
gjr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 10:58   #2
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Pull out of track atvrear near top tailgate , then work down sides from front to rear use scrapper push up and guide out of teeth ! That holds them up once free from teeth that area will slide down work along and rest is elementary my dear Watson best of luck 🤞

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 10:59   #3
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Failing that try YouTube think there’s a guide on there 😎👍

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 13:44   #4
blueosprey90
Master Member

Not directly on point, but perhaps this will help

https://youtu.be/mGYedrWWxRE?si=IymIFBdgXSLBHd2q
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 20:52   #5
gjr0

I was thinking more along the lines of warming the old headliner up to make it a little more pliable and hoping it comes down like a 245. There does not seem to be a good way to get a hold of it.
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 09:41   #6
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

It’s so easy it’s unreal

Remove rear , works sides
Undo sunvisors and windscreens surrounds , interior light ,

USE a scrapper push up pinch pull down move along its as simple as that once you do that you’ll be like omg it’s easy and even more so once you see behind you will understand how it’s held and can tweek your method 😎👍

Just get it done boi and don’t fret

All the best your next post I’m expecting you to have carried out said task and be like pheww that was not as bad as I thought just remember the order of the bars as they need going back in the same place when putting it back in the car

Hope it goes well for you

Or get a trimmer todo it if your that worried

Robert.w

Old Feb 9th, 2024, 14:00   #7
HWKWallis

Bit tricky to photograph but the attached may be useful.
As previous comments you need to ease the liner out from the channel which has shark teeth which grab the material holding it in tension.
There are also two spears which push through the last seam and are bend back in situ to hold that in place.
Ignore some of my additional wiring for the HRW and highline brake light , and let me know if any more may help.
Planning on putting mine back in soon!...

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (315.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (222.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (220.2 KB, 15 views)
HWKWallis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HWKWallis For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 11:12   #8
gjr0

The back corners of the wagon headliner are held by brackets. You can see one of the bracket mounting screws in the first picture from @HWKWallis. It is above the upper right corner of the opening. I think that is what they have you pound on in the manual.

In any case, the 50 year headliner is very fragile and the bracket would have to be bent out of position, which could be possible, to remove the fabric that is tucked into the corner. Doing so would poke holes in the headliner.

It is possible to use small bent hooks to reach through the perforations and pull the headliner down in the middle of the rear opening. At that point you can grab the plastic strip and open a gap to work through.
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 12:00   #9
HWKWallis

As per GJR0, here detail of the plastic strip on the trailing edge which pushes up into the channel, and the short but vunerable pieces which are tucked up in the corner jaws.
Also the rear of the lining and last support where the spears are pushed through to provide tension (so not relying on the plastic strip to do so.)

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (378.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Rear.jpg (389.7 KB, 6 views)
HWKWallis is offline   Reply With Quote