Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reliability

Views : 1541

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2021, 12:55   #1
yostumpy

Default Reliability

I wonder just how reliable say xc70 p3's are, in general. i mean a % of failures of say auto box, DPF, swirl flaps, fuel tank, ecu thing, leaky roof (sunroof). I read somewhere, when looking at XC 70's initially, that said....''don't look on forums, because other than die hards, most folks go on them when they have a problem, so you actually get an unbalanced view' because I suppose 'most' people who own one, wouldn't bother with a forum, just drive it, wash it (occasionally) and take it to the garage. Auto box oil change seems a hot topic on here, but I wonder just how many XC 70's out there are still running the same oil at 150+k. Ditto cleaning the swirl flap things. My old Land Rover was soooooooooooooooo reliable, never failed an MOT in my 16 years, but I did spend a bit on new rad, cambelt, head gasket, tyers, + stuff. I am genuinely liking the car, can't quite get used to the auto yet, (never had one before), but don't yet 'trust ' it will be long term, can't put my finger on it, but there is that niggling doubt.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 13:15   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I had a 2008 XC70 D5 for about 18 months, took it from 84k to 124k. It had a faulty wheel bearing when I bought it, but after sorting that I didn't have a single issue - not even a bulb.

My dad had a 2013 XC70 D5 from new (well ex-demo) my sister still has that car which now has 90k on it and the only repair it has needed was a faulty rear door lock - £350 job.

So yes I would say that if serviced correctly they are very reliable.

Your Land Rover sounds like my old Discovery which was a bit like Triggers' broom on Only Fools and Horses - never let me down in 18 years but it's had 17 new heads and 4 new handles..... :-)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 15:41   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
I wonder just how reliable say xc70 p3's are, in general. i mean a % of failures of say auto box, DPF, swirl flaps, fuel tank, ecu thing, leaky roof (sunroof). I read somewhere, when looking at XC 70's initially, that said....''don't look on forums, because other than die hards, most folks go on them when they have a problem, so you actually get an unbalanced view' because I suppose 'most' people who own one, wouldn't bother with a forum, just drive it, wash it (occasionally) and take it to the garage. Auto box oil change seems a hot topic on here, but I wonder just how many XC 70's out there are still running the same oil at 150+k. Ditto cleaning the swirl flap things. My old Land Rover was soooooooooooooooo reliable, never failed an MOT in my 16 years, but I did spend a bit on new rad, cambelt, head gasket, tyers, + stuff. I am genuinely liking the car, can't quite get used to the auto yet, (never had one before), but don't yet 'trust ' it will be long term, can't put my finger on it, but there is that niggling doubt.
You’ve also posted a similar thread in another section about whether later models of the XC70 were better made than the earlier ones. The answer to that was no, as Geely weren’t involved in the later models (they stopped production). So even though you have a newer P3, its not really built any different to the earlier ones (apart from interior is different & some external cosmetics).

P3’s are generally very reliable. Like any car, they need maintainence. You’ll see plenty of them with high mileage… its not going to fall apart like many other cars do at 100k.

Service it annually, change the transmission fluid as well as the Haldex fluid etc & keep motoring. You don’t need to change the transmission fluid etc every year, but its definitely something you want to do over the course of ownership.

Make sure the aux belt is changed (every 54k), the cam belt & auxiliary belt tensioner needs to be changed every 10 years or 108k (whichever comes first).

***Assuming yours is a D5? If it isn’t, you need to check the intervals for the belts.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 16:10   #4
reggit
Premier Member

Mines a V70 rather than XC so doesn’t have the AWD gubbins.
Bought it at 169,000 miles last summer, original gearbox oil presumably as there was no record of it being changed (and there was other stuff recorded), box was smooth. One of the first jobs I did was 2 quick sump drain and refills. I’ll do another in the coming weeks and make it an annual job.

My mileage is really low (was shopping for a petrol one, but ended up with a really well spec’d 2010 build D5). Yes it’s had some niggles as do other 10 year old cars, however nothing over missed servicing - ie cam belt changed, but not the aux belt, replaced thermostat, crap tyres fitted etc.

Just had to push it into 800 mile weeks over the last month and it hasn’t missed a beat.

I was worried about reading the horror stories of the Ford era, but they’ve not materialised and I’d say the car is better than my last 3 P2’s - it is newer after all!
Swirl flaps disappear with the emergence of the euro 5 engine on the 2010 model years onward.

I’m probably spending more than the car is worth, however it’s a keeper for the next few years.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 18:52   #5
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
Mines a V70 rather than XC so doesn’t have the AWD gubbins.

Swirl flaps disappear with the emergence of the euro 5 engine on the 2010 model years onward.
I thought they came into aid combustion / emissions etc
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 23:04   #6
Bomster

Swirl flaps disappeared after 2010? So my 2011 205hp D5 won't have them?
Bomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 23:15   #7
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomster View Post
Well I haven’t found any on my 2010 205 D5. If they do exist, it’s a completely different design than the previous engine. Not had need to delve into the innards of the engine.
Old Jul 9th, 2021, 23:53   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

I don't think the euro 5 D5 (59 plate onwards) has swirl flaps. The engine was designed to be more efficient than the euro 4.

Euro 5 differences (according to Volvo)

- Two turbo chargers

Ceramic glow plugs, which heat up to 1000 degrees in just two seconds delivers better cold starts due to the fuel being warmed up faster. These glow plugs also make the combustion more efficient due to the increase in temperature in the cylinders. They can withstand temperatures of 1300 degrees & the engine can be started immediately without pre-heating, to temperatures as low as -30 degrees celcius!

Piezoelectric fuel injectors provide precise fuel flow into the chambers, which in turn makes the combustion better & that reduces emissions.

The high pressure fuel pump has also been improved to achieve injection pressure of up to 1800 bar.

Increased volume in the EGR cooler & extra cooling fins inside it means heat is dissipated no less than 25% faster. This means that exhaust gases are cooler & being cooler means the gases are less harmful.
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 11:01   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomster View Post
no as you have 2 turbochargers , the tiny one does all the work up to 2700 rpm so plenty of air flow available so it doesn't need swirl flaps .
Old Jul 10th, 2021, 11:42   #10
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
no as you have 2 turbochargers , the tiny one does all the work up to 2700 rpm so plenty of air flow available so it doesn't need swirl flaps .
That's cleared that up then, Just been out to look (before I saw this) and couldn't see any evidence , just a tall canister thing in the way.

My point is, I know they are built like tanks, but all the electric stuff makes me feel its somehow more vulnerable. Must get over it, and enjoy it, and stop worrying..........(pulls paper bag over head)

Last edited by yostumpy; Jul 10th, 2021 at 11:47.
yostumpy is offline   Reply With Quote