Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC 70 - Jacking up issues!

Views : 858

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2012, 09:48   #1
David Boxley

Default XC 70 - Jacking up issues!

Good morning all,

Had a puncture this morning, used the supplied Volvo jack but couldn't raise the car enough to to lift tyre from drive!

The suspension travel seems to go on for ever. (XC70 with 4C suspension)

Is this a known problem (?), if so, what's the solution?

Many thanks
David Boxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 15:41   #2
David Boxley

Hi,

Problem solved with a trolley jack and some great advice.....

"use a piece of wood under the jack to raise it before use"
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 17:03   #3
jasmith44
jasmith44

I take it you are going to carry the trolley jack and wood with you at all times.I think you need a block of wood about the size of a brick to go under the Volvo jack if the jack is the same as the S80 one.
jasmith44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 20:37   #4
TiredGeek
Master Member

Odd, my jack is fine.
Has someone replaced your jack with one from a different model at some point? Not even sure they're different but it's the only thing I can think of....
Looks like you'll have to keep the block of wood in the boot at all times.

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 10:15   #5
David Boxley

Hi All,

The "block of wood" trick will work with original jack, I have one in the boot now of a suitable size.

The puncture also raised another issue with removing wheels; this is the million pounds of pressure that tyre fitters use when doing their job and replacing tyres. You are then having to try to crack the nuts with the very short brace supplied by Volvo. I have overcome this by cutting a length of hollow tube to a 600mm length (it's a piece of hanging rail). This will provide enough leverage and it's now riding in the boot, keeping the block of wood company.

I'm wary of punctures as the previous one that I had a couple of years ago (with an Audi) was in the Langdales (in the Lake District) at dusk, on New Year's Eve. This was even more fun as the plastic tool for removing the plastic wheel nut cover (a "50p" item), was missing. We were around 30 miles from where we were staying too. Not a great end to a Year - not recommended!
The Following User Says Thank You to David Boxley For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 13:15   #6
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Boxley View Post
Hi All,

The puncture also raised another issue with removing wheels; this is the million pounds of pressure that tyre fitters use when doing their job and replacing tyres. You are then having to try to crack the nuts with the very short brace supplied by Volvo.
Which is exactly the reason why if the car goes anywhere and I know the wheels have been removed I'll undo the bolts at home and re-torque up using a proper torque wrench to the specified level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Boxley View Post
Hi All,
I have overcome this by cutting a length of hollow tube to a 600mm length (it's a piece of hanging rail). This will provide enough leverage and it's now riding in the boot, keeping the block of wood company.
I still carry an extendable brace in the car though, just in case. Plenty of options in Helfrauds or fleabay.

Changing the wheels from summer to winter tyred variety every six months or so also prevents the wheel face binding to the hub, along with a thin smear of copper grease. I've been stuck before where I've been able to remove the bolts but the wheel was firmly welded to the hub and it took some effort to get the thing to move (albeit on another marque but the same can apply).

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 21:02   #7
mrc1501
Master Member

I seem to have my car up in the air for fun these days.........standard car jack without the need for wood. Also, there are 2 jacking points on both sides of the car, and I have had it where both side wheels are off the ground at once.

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 14:26   #8
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc1501 View Post
I seem to have my car up in the air for fun these days.........standard car jack without the need for wood. Also, there are 2 jacking points on both sides of the car, and I have had it where both side wheels are off the ground at once.
Same here, both trolley jack, and crappy volvo jack lifts the whole side of my S60 a good 3 to 4 inches off the floor.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 18:54   #9
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc1501 View Post
and I have had it where both side wheels are off the ground at once.
That is just by using the Volvo scissor jack, nothing else

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote