Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dash Cam installed today

Views : 2460

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 13:23   #1
Timothy2

Default Dash Cam installed today

Hi all,
Not sure if anyone has ever thought about having a dash cam installed in their Volvo but I have one fitted today from a company in Huddersfield. Its all hardwired in and the drivers seat in a normal driving position you can not even see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outside 2 reduced.jpg (52.3 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg inside reduced.jpg (347.2 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg inside divers view reduced.jpg (183.6 KB, 201 views)
Timothy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timothy2 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 13:47   #2
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Looks a good job!
We put ours on the drivers side.

There have been a few threads around the topic of dashcams:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=200653
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=215835
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206234
cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 14:12   #3
Considered1
Premier Member

Nice, can I ask who you used to fit it and how much they charged.
I visit Huddersfield a few times per year so would be very interested in their contact details.

many thanks
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 16:50   #4
Gilesme

Looks very neat - how many minutes does it record ? Does it work if your car gets "bumped" when parked ?

Mate had a helmet-cam on his motorbike - was going to show his mrs the initial footage, then realised the speedo was in full view... so showed her the next set instead.
Gilesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 22:31   #5
Timothy2

HI all, Sorry for the late reply.

The Dash Cam was installed by automotive gadgets in Huddersfield. I had a BlackVue DR3500 16gb fitted. It works really well as its powered via the ignition so it starts and stops records with the ignition.

However because its been wired this way the park feature doesn't work. If you want the park feature you need to wire the cam to a permanent live feed and use a device to monitor the voltage to turn it off if the battery starts to drain. This can be costly and I wasn't aware of this before I had the dash cam fitted.

It cost me under £200 to be fully fitted, If was to get one again I would do a little more research and see if I can find one that does the park feature via an internal battery. One thing to note as well, if you use the park feature you need to replace the SD card every year.

Thanks
Tim
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 11:40   #6
Considered1
Premier Member

Is that £200 all in, if so how much was either the fitting or the cam unit as I'd be sourcing my own and just want a good fitter. Would you say they are excellent at what they do. My dealer had someone fit my rear camera and just for their lack of interest at coming back out I wouldnt use them.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 12:05   #7
Timothy2

the £200 was the total amount (fitting + cam).
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 12:56   #8
Crockers
Premier Member

I have a front and back mi witness with park feature. Never heard of replacing SD card every year. Mine also has the WiFi feed so I can play back via my iPhone in car to ensure all is OK. Was a bit costly but like most things you get what you pay for.
Old Dec 31st, 2014, 15:39   #9
harvey07
Master Member

That is a nice tidy job. I bought myself a Mio 530 (I think it is) back on Black Friday, but it got wrapped up for Crimbo & I only got round to fitting it a couple of days ago.

Whilst I am impressed by the simplicity of the unit itself & the quality of my test recordings, I am not too happy with my DIY install (i.e cable just down from behind the mirror - I eventually settled on same position as yours, and then run along the side of the console to the power socket).

I might see if my local garage can tidy it up for me the next time the car is in.

P.s Shame it wasn't fitted to my wife's car today, when we were cut up by a little nob in a tarted up bucket that was going faster than it looked like it could & then had a near miss with a Disco that came through a red light...they were all out today. I think there will be a 2nd unit getting fitted to her car despite her protestations! No damage done today, but it seriously winds me up when I encounter these characters, especially when I have the kids in the car.
harvey07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash cam