Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 poor running and stalling

Views : 21132

Replies : 119

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 5th, 2021, 00:31   #61
Beadybc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Great - did you check the cam timing mark aligned as it should as well?
Sorry for not posting for a while, I’ve just started my second term at University. Turns out the other day my dad arranged for the car to be looks over by a local garage and they’ve come back saying that they’ve found that the injectors are faulty and that is what is causing the poor idle. The only problem is that to replace the injectors they are asking for £500. I’m not an expert by any means but for new injectors and labour £500 seems a bit sharp. Any idea where I could get new injectors from?

I don’t think they could be cleaned as they’ve already had the methylated spirit running through them to no avail?

To remind you: 1989 740 B200E K-Jet
Beadybc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beadybc For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 07:20   #62
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadybc View Post
Sorry for not posting for a while, I’ve just started my second term at University. Turns out the other day my dad arranged for the car to be looks over by a local garage and they’ve come back saying that they’ve found that the injectors are faulty and that is what is causing the poor idle. The only problem is that to replace the injectors they are asking for £500. I’m not an expert by any means but for new injectors and labour £500 seems a bit sharp. Any idea where I could get new injectors from?

I don’t think they could be cleaned as they’ve already had the methylated spirit running through them to no avail?

The meths isn't there to clean the injectors.

What evidence are they basing their claim on that the injectors are faulty?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 08:55   #63
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadybc View Post

You can send the injectors away to a couple of companies who charge £50 to clean all four and they also test the flow rate

£500 to swap the injectors is a total con !!
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 09:42   #64
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
You can send the injectors away to a couple of companies who charge £50 to clean all four and they also test the flow rate

£500 to swap the injectors is a total con !!
Very few companies will touch K-Jet injectors Mark.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 09:51   #65
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Very few companies will touch K-Jet injectors Mark.
You could email this company to ask https://www.injectortune.co.uk/Contact.html
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 10:18   #66
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
You could email this company to ask https://www.injectortune.co.uk/Contact.html
From their FAQ :

"Can you clean my injectors?

We can clean most petrol injectors, replacing used components with new where we are able to."

https://www.injectortune.co.uk/Faq.html

In their FAQ, "most" is underlined. Looking round the rest of their online shop, everything is EFi so i'd suggest they almost certainly don't clean K-Jet injectors. Presumably they have no way of opening the K-Jet injectors while ultrasonically cleaning them. I know these people don't clean K-Jet injectors for that reason :

https://www.emeraldm3d.com/emerald-s...ditioning.html

Opening pressure for the K-Jet injectors is 38-52psi which could be tricky (for many reasons) to create in a flow testing/cleaning bench as used for testing EFi injectors.

http://b2resource.com/PDFs/interjectKJetronic.pdf

More information there ^^^^^

Old Nov 5th, 2021, 10:42   #67
griston64
Premier Member

So if the garage is quoting a price for four new injectors from Volvo £500 is about right ?

Not saying thats what needs doing for one minute but I can see where they get the price from
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 11:58   #68
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
So if the garage is quoting a price for four new injectors from Volvo £500 is about right ?

Not saying thats what needs doing for one minute but I can see where they get the price from
Probably about right Mark, not sure if they are even still available though. Maybe from GCP but i doubt they're a stock item.

I'm still not convinced it is the injectors, before the OP disappeared to uni again i was going to suggest adding an egg cup full of synthetic ATF to the tank which would help clean the injectors and revive rubber components in the fuel distributor while lubing the fuel distributor as well. It would also counteract any negative effects from the meths used for removing condensation from the tank. The other thing is, there's a strong chance the car actually just needs to be driven a fair bit. My gut feeling is that the problem is mainly lack of use.

Old Nov 5th, 2021, 12:03   #69
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Probably about right Mark, not sure if they are even still available though. Maybe from GCP but i doubt they're a stock item.

I'm still not convinced it is the injectors, before the OP disappeared to uni again i was going to suggest adding an egg cup full of synthetic ATF to the tank which would help clean the injectors and revive rubber components in the fuel distributor while lubing the fuel distributor as well. It would also counteract any negative effects from the meths used for removing condensation from the tank. The other thing is, there's a strong chance the car actually just needs to be driven a fair bit. My gut feeling is that the problem is mainly lack of use.
Skandix list them with prices varying from about £50 each up to £96 each ( which could be gen Volvo )

I found an article from a guy with an old Merc that had the same injectors and he cleaned them up himself and fitted new seals ( like a big rubber bung ) and said it made a massive difference. They look pretty basic so I suspect you are right about that not being the main issue
Old Nov 5th, 2021, 12:24   #70
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Skandix list them with prices varying from about £50 each up to £96 each ( which could be gen Volvo )

I found an article from a guy with an old Merc that had the same injectors and he cleaned them up himself and fitted new seals ( like a big rubber bung ) and said it made a massive difference. They look pretty basic so I suspect you are right about that not being the main issue
I fitted new "O" rings to mine on my last 740 Mark which did improve matters a lot. Full set of the 8 "O" rings from Volvo was about £17 although that's several years ago now. They're simple injectors, similar in principle to diesel injectors but obviously open at much lower pressures than the diesel at ~2800psi/200bar.

With that in mind there's less to go wrong on a K-Jet injector as it's much lower stressed in terms of pressure etc.

Tags
740, 940, b200e, stalling, throttle lag