Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 T5-R estate - squatting down at rear

Views : 2009

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2024, 17:26   #11
Woolley11

Well I’ve measured the bottom of sill cover to ground at front and same at back - there’s 18cm at front and 16.5cm at rear.

So I need to investigate what suspension is fitted at rear of car. I’m not sure as not had a wheel off it since I got it.

It could be just sagged with it been layed up a long time. I guess it could be wrong springs for the shocks or other way round.

Not aware it’s got coil overs as would have thought front and back set to the same ride height.
Woolley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 18:13   #12
Simmy
Premier Member

nivomats are easy to spot as they are fatter and normally include rubber bellows over the shafts report back with a pic for help with identifying said parts.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 19:31   #13
richmac

Hi,

You don't need to take a wheel off. If you lie down by the middle of the rear bumper, you'll actually get a better view.

Post a picture of what you see.

Best regards,

Rich.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richmac For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 19:50   #14
Woolley11

Yes I’ll do that as not familiar with set up how it should be

I’ll get a pic in morning

Thanks 🙏
The Following User Says Thank You to Woolley11 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 15:54   #15
Woolley11

See pics attached of rear suspension

Looks like shocks have the bellow arrangement 🤔
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7333.jpg (167.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7334.jpg (118.8 KB, 24 views)
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 16:26   #16
ITSv40
VOC Member

While you are under there, you need a new clamp on the filler tube to fuel tank.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 17:47   #17
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

I would be more concerned about that tyre:~
Doesn't look too healthy.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 18:31   #18
Woolley11

Thanks - yes all noted.

All tyres going in bin anyway - not going on road till all jobs sorted.

Needs at least one rear bumper bracket as it’s dropped one side.

4 x discs and pads, rear shockers/springs, 4 x Tyres to name but a few things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woolley11 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 19:46   #19
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Those look like Nivomats to me, and pretty tired ones at that. That being the case, i'm surprised the car didn't jack itself up when you took it for a run, they usually do unless there's no fluid in them, and there's no sign of leakage in your pictures. Yours need new boots too, (very common) a fairly easy job and readily available (I've done it!)

If you decide to replace them, you have three options:
1) Get a decent second-hand pair - best of luck with that, when I did mine there didn't seem to be many around. Bear in mind also that there are two different lengths, with two different part numbers, so get the right ones or it still won't sit right.
2) Buy a pair of new ones - this is what I did. However, they were around £900 delivered for the pair, from FRF Volvo with the discount.
3) Convert to standard springs and shock absorbers - as already mentioned, the springs fitted with Nivos are much softer, as the Nivos do most of the lifting, so you'll need new springs too, PFV Online do a kit to convert. However, this would be a shame, as the Nivomat self-levelling suspension is brilliant, gives a good ride and it's really handy having the stance of the car consistent no matter how much load you have in the back.

Your choice, but if you keep it as it is do at least change those rubber gaiters as dirt will get onto the shiny piston and wreck the seals, rendering the shocker scrap. Believe me I know, I left the job too long and that's what happened to mine, and it cost me!

Only other thought is to wonder if there's actually anything wrong with the rear at all, I mean has someone in the past changed the front springs and made the front higher? Others on here will know how to tell, but it's just a thought.

By the way, when I did mine I also found a totally rusted out fuel filler pipe connection. Again, these are readily available and it's a really easy job. Be aware that the clamp comes in two identical halves, and on mine one half was totally rusted through and the other half was virtually perfect, so if you find sellers selling just one half, that may well be all you need.

Last edited by Luxobarge; Mar 26th, 2024 at 19:48.
Luxobarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 21:20   #20
richmac

As above, you have/ had very tired nivomats.

I would suggest you need new shocks and springs at least. Both shocks are in a bad state. Does anyone else think the left shows signs of leaking on the sleeve at the top of the piston. The right is too hard to see but looks very compressed, probably because your right spring looks to be broken. Both springs are badly corroded and weakened.

You have a lot of rust so make sure you pre-soak any bolts before trying to break them free.

Good luck.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richmac For This Useful Post: