Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm malfunction message

Views : 5532

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2022, 22:22   #21
GrahamHR

Thank you !!!! It worked, despite being a 2012 one ! Not OK to begin with, left overnight and the message was gone ( presumably as the internal batteries became charged). What is so different for the Mazda units that even older ones continue to work ?

Just as I was feeling smug, a locking wheel nut is impossible to remove !!!! Awful (Italian) design, build up of road grime makes the locking wheel nut removal tool not to seat in the wheel nut.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2022, 00:35   #22
Chrisv60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
Thank you !!!! It worked, despite being a 2012 one ! Not OK to begin with, left overnight and the message was gone ( presumably as the internal batteries became charged). What is so different for the Mazda units that even older ones continue to work ?

Just as I was feeling smug, a locking wheel nut is impossible to remove !!!! Awful (Italian) design, build up of road grime makes the locking wheel nut removal tool not to seat in the wheel nut.
Great news. Thanks for updating, I've wondered a few times how you've got on.

The only difference I can see is that the Mazda ones are nice and shiny so presumably are fitted inside the car somewhere whereas the Volvo ones are all crusty from sitting in the wheel arch.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 15:51   #23
Morningken1

Thanks for the advise on here,I have had this problem for a while and decided I,d had enough of the message keep appearing every time I start the car,so I,ve just replaced the siren unit with one from a Ford Fiesta 2020,from Ebay,it fits perfectly,but I still have the message!
Hopefully the internal batteries on the new unit will charge up and the issue will be resolved,I will update fingers crossed.

Last edited by Morningken1; Feb 11th, 2024 at 16:06.
Morningken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 14:37   #24
Morningken1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningken1 View Post
Thanks for the advise on here,I have had this problem for a while and decided I,d had enough of the message keep appearing every time I start the car,so I,ve just replaced the siren unit with one from a Ford Fiesta 2020,from Ebay,it fits perfectly,but I still have the message!
Hopefully the internal batteries on the new unit will charge up and the issue will be resolved,I will update fingers crossed.
Update
After a considerable time I realised that although the siren did fit,it wasn’t going to solve the issue,so I decided to give it another go and buy another siren from Ebay.
The first one was a 2020 manufactured one from a ford puma,I thought I was doing the best thing to get the newest possible so the batteries should be better,however I have discovered that the later sirens after 2017 are manufactured in Macedonia rather than France like the original one,so I decided to give this a try by getting a France made 116A part number rather than 116RA or 116R00/04 etc.
Just fitted it 2017. 116A and it has worked and annoying warning disappeared,this one was from a Land Rover,but I really don’t think it matters as long as the part no is 116A as they all only have 3 cables,also if anybody takes theirs off and wants to check the batteries without wrecking it to get to them,test between one of the outer pins and the middle one and you should get roughly 2.4v dc as there’s 2 cells inside 1.2v each,if you do then your batteries are okay,if not you need to replace,hope this helps somebody.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morningken1 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 19:14   #25
Rob3583

Just replaced the alarm unit on my V60, used a Mazda module purchased off eBay last year for around a tenner. It was also the 116A model. Pleasantly surprised when it worked as it had been sitting in a draw for six months. Finally message free at start up, hurrah.
Rob3583 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob3583 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 19:29   #26
Rob3583

Not sure whether they are connected but since I replaced the alarm module I have started getting the low oil warning again. I had been using Vida to check oil weekly as the oil warning was not showing, even though one time oil level was below 20mm.
And the stop start has also kicked in again.
Rob3583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 21:00   #27
Morningken1

I have still been getting the oil low warning throughout the alarm system issue,I would not have thought they,d be connected,although I think mine is using a lot of oil at the minute due to the fuel pressure sensor needing unblocking,I had the issue before and it started missing periodically at low speeds.
The start/stop never seems available for me as I do low mileage and short journeys(not ideal I know).
Hoping the aux battery will charge now though without the drain from the alarm trying to charge constantly.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 22:10   #28
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3583 View Post
Just replaced the alarm unit on my V60, used a Mazda module purchased off eBay last year for around a tenner. It was also the 116A model. Pleasantly surprised when it worked as it had been sitting in a draw for six months. Finally message free at start up, hurrah.
That particular alarm siren exists in an awful environment on the V60/ S60. Yes, in the wheelarch but behind a plastic wheelarch liner. The problem is what is above it.

PU mouldings. Originally specified I'm sure as an integral skinned one, closed cell which did not absorb much moisture. By the time of these cars were built, it was a totally open celled part= a sponge! It keeps the alarm unit in a very high humidity environment.

Mazda use a simple thermoplastic deflector to fill the gap. I shall remove those PU parts tomorrow. They do more harm than good. Written by someone who was involved with PU integral skin foams ant RRim for 30 years!
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 23:30   #29
Morningken1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
That particular alarm siren exists in an awful environment on the V60/ S60. Yes, in the wheelarch but behind a plastic wheelarch liner. The problem is what is above it.

PU mouldings. Originally specified I'm sure as an integral skinned one, closed cell which did not absorb much moisture. By the time of these cars were built, it was a totally open celled part= a sponge! It keeps the alarm unit in a very high humidity environment.

Mazda use a simple thermoplastic deflector to fill the gap. I shall remove those PU parts tomorrow. They do more harm than good. Written by someone who was involved with PU integral skin foams ant RRim for 30 years!
I have wondered about those myself,sodden with all the rain we ,ve had the siren that didn’t work had only been there for a few weeks and had water in the metal part when I removed it,although it can’t get into the plastic housing,it can’t be good long term.
Wonder if there,s a replacement for these ,any ideas?
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 11:07   #30
GrahamHR

I was thinking along the lines of using a PVC plastisol coating (" Plastidip" or similar) on a fully dried part, coating both the visible and unseen surfaces.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamHR For This Useful Post: