Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

in need of sum help..

Views : 2405

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2016, 10:36   #1
irollv40

Default in need of sum help..

howdo to all,,just joined up as I am now the owner of a 2001,51plate,,v40,1.9td se,estate,,,thats the good bit,,now the bad bits,,,am going to ave to put up sum pic's as it much easyer then me trying to wright it all down,,,wen I got the v40,i drove it about 20-30miles back home,it made it with no problums,,,now my last car (5yearsago) was a a4 1.9tdi and I liked it,and it was good...so I was expecting the same kind of power,,but no,,,!!! it was real sluggish,no real power had to keep dropping down a gear..it just felt like it did not even ave a turbo!!,,am sure it not ment to be like dis,,+ i new that there was sum problums with it,,i don't mind I like doing the work on it,,and from the looks of it this is the place to be to ask the Q's and wot needs to be dun..unlike the Haynes manual!!! that as told me nowt about this car!!!...so ere go's 1)were can I get hold of sum info on my car/D4192T3 engine..ie,,a proper manual or cd,,for takeing it apart?
2)ere r sum pics of the problums

wot is this,,it looks like a dogy fix!!????
manythanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000480.jpg (283.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000482.jpg (200.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000489.jpg (109.7 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000494.jpg (226.7 KB, 86 views)
irollv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 11:26   #2
Techen

if I saw that when looking at the car, I would have turned away. Thats a big hole in the air intake hose bypassing the filter... That alone is so silly, It almost looks like a device that feeds "something" straight through the air intake and into the engine. Abit like NOS and petrols I guess, I have no idea what it would be used for on diesels... I'd be looking at removing it if possible.
Techen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Techen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 11:42   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by irollv40 View Post
howdo to all,,just joined up as I am now the owner of a 2001,51plate,,v40,1.9td se,estate,,,thats the good bit,,now the bad bits,,,am going to ave to put up sum pic's as it much easyer then me trying to wright it all down,,,wen I got the v40,i drove it about 20-30miles back home,it made it with no problums,,,now my last car (5yearsago) was a a4 1.9tdi and I liked it,and it was good...so I was expecting the same kind of power,,but no,,,!!! it was real sluggish,no real power had to keep dropping down a gear..it just felt like it did not even ave a turbo!!,,am sure it not ment to be like dis,,+ i new that there was sum problums with it,,i don't mind I like doing the work on it,,and from the looks of it this is the place to be to ask the Q's and wot needs to be dun..unlike the Haynes manual!!! that as told me nowt about this car!!!...so ere go's 1)were can I get hold of sum info on my car/D4192T3 engine..ie,,a proper manual or cd,,for takeing it apart?
2)ere r sum pics of the problums

wot is this,,it looks like a dogy fix!!????
manythanks.
Looks like a mad modder has been attacking one of the best diesels around!

No real idea, BUT the previous abuser might have either been playing with a homemade nitro kit or was trying to spray solvent into the intake to clean it and the EGR valve of Carbon.

Lack of power might be one of the following:
1/ Blocked EGR
2/ Vacuum line leak caused by the Mad modder
3/ Dirty fuel filter
4/ Limp home mode (Mostly caused by the MAF sensor failing due to dirt).
5/ Forked turbo (Check for hose leak first).

So, remove the junk and do a full service (The EGR and intake can be cleaned, but you will need a new O ring and gasket).
If the engine is in limp mode it should log a hidden fault code. Try cleaning the sensor with a real good contact cleaner or CRC spray (A tenner on Fleabay), befor doing anything expensive or checking the scrap yards.

I bet the previous bodger made a right job of the cam belt service, or only changed the belt. So you might need a Gates kit (Cam belt, tensioner and water pump) plus an Aux belt and real Volvo coolant.

I wonder what the extra fuse is for, might be for a small pump ??

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 19th, 2016 at 11:50.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 13:03   #4
kieran40
I've Been Banned

What the bloody hell is going on in there Jazas on a pogo stick, I would get all that off and replace it too how it should be try replacing youre n75 valve it might be fooked and causing you youre lack of turbo performance. What the hell is all that supposed to do and why put it in lmao.

Last edited by kieran40; Apr 19th, 2016 at 13:05.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 14:30   #5
Stephen2015
S60 D5244T4

Take it they paid for you take it off their hands
Stephen2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen2015 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 14:40   #6
boyracer996

that looks a mess, one of your boost pipes looks wrapped in tape also.

iv loads of engine parts if you need anything all pipes and hoses here too
boyracer996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boyracer996 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 20:51   #7
druid
V40 Owner

Sorry to do it, nobody else has. Your suspension top mounts are shot, the bolt in pic' 4 should be central.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....

Last edited by druid; Apr 19th, 2016 at 20:53.
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to druid For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 21:35   #8
irollv40

howdo and thanks,,,am lmao a little,,as I new I would get them kinds of replys,,and yes it is cuming off tomorrow..no one I no,no's wot it is!!hahaha,,wil take pic of it wen its off and post...I think abit of repair is in order,,,i was thinking that it mit be sum kind of watervapoer trapper as the bottle as water in it?????,,and will follow a post on ere to take all the turbo and stuff and giv it a clean,,,+anybody no were I can get hold of proper manual or sumthink for the 1.9tdi in my car???,,and manythanks for the replys..
irollv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irollv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 22:32   #9
kieran40
I've Been Banned

It looks more like a oil trap and you don't want water anywhere near youre intake hose, the water is proberly rain water . What did the last owner say about it when you bought it off him.

They don't do a manual for the 1.9d sadly but I can take a pic of my engine to show you what should or shouldn't be there and there is guides above to egr and turbo etc, the diesel is a dream to work on. And it was used in various other cars and vans so plenty of parts in the breakers also, but buy what you need off of boy racer sounds like he's got all the bits and pipes you need to put it right. I'm just at a loss as to what they were trying to acheive

Last edited by kieran40; Apr 19th, 2016 at 22:35.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 23:20   #10
boyracer996

looks like part of an AEM methanol kit i had a while back! what they are trying to achieve is beyond me! get it off and in the bin!lol id start with cleaning the EGR, then change that intake hose that has the contraption attached, and change that boost hose for one without a hole and tape repair, hopefully that will see a mega improvement!
boyracer996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boyracer996 For This Useful Post: