Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just acquired my first 1800S

Views : 800

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2009, 22:29   #1
rusholme
VOC Member

Default Just acquired my first 1800S

I have just acquired my first 1800S it is a 1967 model and has been in a garage for about 10 or so years. I am finding out lots about the car and have several requirements.

Windscreen wipers

Wing mirrors

boot contents: what should i find? where should the spare fit?

I will need to drain all fuel, brake fluid etc so any advice is very welcome.

Thanks in anticipation
rusholme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:02   #2
asneddon
Master Member

Wipers from Brookhouse. Pretty cheap for both the arms and the blades.
Dont know about wing mirrors.

The boot should have a full sized spare sitting flat on the floor. I don't think there is anything to hold it down (mines in the garage as it was always in the way) I have a can of expanding goo instead. Jack should be on the right hand side over a metal peg. I guess there should be a tool wrap somewhere, but I have no idea where.

About the fuel, some people seem to get carried away with fitting filters everywhere (output of tank, before pump, after pump, etc). I just make do with the one built into the pump itself. Easy to remove and clean, and you can see when its got stuff in it. I might fit a filter at the back where the rubber hose from the tank to the metal pipe, but thats a pain to check. I personaly dont like filters in the engine bay as they have caused me vapour locks on several other makes of cars.

Brake and clutch fluid should be pretty easy to flush. Just make sure you do it more than once if you want to make sure you get all new fluid in there.

I would recomend a full tune up set. Air filters, points, condensor, plugs, HT leads, and a new distributor cap. All that cost me something like £60-65 from memory, and it just puts your mind at rest that you dont have anything too much to worry about. Keep the old ones in a box in the boot so if things go wrong you can do the million monkey shuffle to find issues.

one more thing. ALWAYS use the propper Volvo oil filter. Cheap and much better than most off brand parts. also be careful about asking what oil to use. It seems to be a very emotional issue on here for some reason!

Welcome.
asneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asneddon For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 16:17   #3
agent_strangelove
Pastry Engineer

The spare tire should, in fact have a hold down. In '67 there was a 'L' shaped rod connected to a lever/cam set up for holding it down. The bottom of the 'L' fits into the a oval slot in the floor of the trunk to the right of the gas tank. The earlier cars had a 'L' shaped rod but a huge washer and a big wing nut to hold it down.

The jack also came with a 'T' shaped handle that was held in place by three clips on the paper board that lined the sides of the trunk.

I think I have both the jack and the handles if you are interested.

I can look and see if I have the hold downs but I think I just have the ones from a amazon wagon (same handle/cam but a different length rod).

Chris
agent_strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agent_strangelove For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 18:54   #4
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusholme View Post
I have just acquired my first 1800S it is a 1967 model and has been in a garage for about 10 or so years. I am finding out lots about the car and have several requirements.

Windscreen wipers

Wing mirrors

boot contents: what should i find? where should the spare fit?

I will need to drain all fuel, brake fluid etc so any advice is very welcome.

Thanks in anticipation
Hi Rusholme
Im in Fareham and have a 1967 1800S. I have gained a fair understanding of these cars over the various years I have owned the car. Be happy to help as required.
No help with the bits you want but as far as boot contents
Spare
Jack
Jack acessories/tools
Boot floor mat
May be more but sure others may be better help
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 21:15   #5
rusholme
VOC Member

Thanks all for the swift response most helpful. I have plenty to be getting on with, I am identifying bits that belong to the car from the box of stuff I inherited with the car.

Russ I have pm'd you
rusholme is offline   Reply With Quote