Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£3.00 charge to enter ULEZ zone for ALL cars

Views : 4561

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2021, 15:18   #51
JJD1
I've Been Banned

" I'll simply repeat that the definition of illegal gathering is about to be hugely expanded. The moment they declare a gathering illegal (merely for being too noisy or too much of an 'annoyance') the chances of violence increase exponentially. In your world this would entail rubber bullets and water cannon being available to police to use against otherwise peaceful protestors"

This 100000000% . So many are drowning in the dramatics of the CV19 show .That They are missing whats been going on around the world and how the new UK laws allow some seriously dangerous powers to be used against society .
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 16:45   #52
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by george57l View Post
You can't be arsed to read the article in full (if at all) and you have the cheek to have a go at me for not addressing your newly-introduced point!

Your first post in this thread was a derail from the topic, on to how water cannon should not have been scrapped by Mr Khan.

This has been dealt with, not least by the article I posted, but also by several other replies. All of which you refuse to accept.

I'll simply repeat that the definition of illegal gathering is about to be hugely expanded. The moment they declare a gathering illegal (merely for being too noisy or too much of an 'annoyance') the chances of violence increase exponentially. In your world this would entail rubber bullets and water cannon being available to police to use against otherwise peaceful protestors.

I don't have to deal with any random new 'points' (allegations or claims) that you introduce (including the risible suggestion that we allow violence as a human right), moving even further off the topic. I see exactly what you are and don't need to indulge you any further.

This is supposed to be a General Volvo and Motoring discussion. Please take your political rantings elsewhere.

Bye bye.
In your humble opinion....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2021, 16:45   #53
JJD1
I've Been Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4q9mBDkRfw

Jacob is a legend !
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 09:56   #54
Fastpatsilents

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD1 View Post
If you think a train driver is worth almost double what a nurse gets then you are nuts . Its all down to pathetic unions .The sooner they ban them the better . There is rational debate , fun debate and god dam boring debate held by boring people .... Have you not see all the brain washing adverts all over the place ? Given the vote , Kahn would be out of a job tomorrow
So let me get this right, you want to drive TFL wages down to the same level as nurses?

The most recent NHS figures reveal there are about 39,000 vacancies for registered nurses in England, with one in 10 nursing posts unfilled on acute wards in London and one in five nursing posts empty on mental health wards in the south-east. What might those regional shortages be caused by do you think?

And as to Unions, without them you would no longer have a right to holidays, sick pay etc etc. It also stops unscrupulous employers from firing and rehiring.

https://www.counterfire.org/news/228...ire-and-rehire

And there is a simple reason why the pilots you know are NOW paid less than tube drivers - supply and demand.
Fastpatsilents is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fastpatsilents For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 14:48   #55
Spike56
Master Member

And then this today..

The charge of £3.50 a day would rise to £5.50 for vehicles that weren’t compliant with the Ultra-Low Emissions Zone.
Spike56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 15:06   #56
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
And then this today..

The charge of £3.50 a day would rise to £5.50 for vehicles that weren’t compliant with the Ultra-Low Emissions Zone.
Sticking to the man, man.
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 15:16   #57
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpatsilents View Post
So let me get this right, you want to drive TFL wages down to the same level as nurses?

The most recent NHS figures reveal there are about 39,000 vacancies for registered nurses in England, with one in 10 nursing posts unfilled on acute wards in London and one in five nursing posts empty on mental health wards in the south-east. What might those regional shortages be caused by do you think?

And as to Unions, without them you would no longer have a right to holidays, sick pay etc etc. It also stops unscrupulous employers from firing and rehiring.

https://www.counterfire.org/news/228...ire-and-rehire

And there is a simple reason why the pilots you know are NOW paid less than tube drivers - supply and demand.
I Bet that if a company ran training for train drivers and once passed etc .They would be given a contract offering £35k a` year .You would get thousands applying . Tell me whats so hard ? !
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 15:27   #58
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Funny enough that sounds like the sort of deal truck drivers get, pay for your training through a separate company and hope to earn £35k a year, it's why young people are not coming into the industry and around 50% of those qualified to drive don't actually earn their living driving. Petrol shortages anyone?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2021, 15:43   #59
uknowiama

Funny how to change people's behaviour its to penalise them for doing the behaviour they want to stop. Not enticing them to behave the way they want to by making that new behaviour significantly easier or cheaper.

For example, contact drivers driving into ULEZ areas with polluting cars and offer them discounts on public transport to persuade them from using their cars for certain trips?

Although, I know the answers are very rarely that simple.

Was nice to walk around central London on the Sunday afternoon of the Marathon with roads closed and no traffic.

Dunno much about, so going to have a mooch around.
uknowiama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2021, 09:50   #60
pinballdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
And then this today..

That's good as it will be a discount from the £12.50 charge you have to pay today to drive a non compliant vehicle in the ULEZ.

This whole 'he said, she said' thing sounds a bit fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere with a vendetta against the Mayor is making numbers up without actually thinking it through, and I also wouldn't be surprised if it eventually turns into policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD1 View Post
I Bet that if a company ran training for train drivers and once passed etc .They would be given a contract offering £35k a` year .You would get thousands applying . Tell me whats so hard ? !
I looked into train driving as a career change a while ago, and it's incredibly difficult to get through the selection process. The 'interview' is a 3 day process, with lots of testing, and a very high drop out rate. Then there's classroom training, with many exams that weed out a lot more before they even get behind the controls of a simulator. It takes 18 months to get qualified. For every thousand that get as far as the interview only a handful get through, and many thousands more don't even make it to the interview stage.

So it becomes a balancing act between the complexity of the process to get qualified, and the wages offered. As the industry already has problems getting enough skilled train drivers at wages significantly higher than £35k, the only way to lower wages would be to make it easier to get qualified, which would impact safety and reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowiama View Post
Funny how to change people's behaviour its to penalise them for doing the behaviour they want to stop. Not enticing them to behave the way they want to by making that new behaviour significantly easier or cheaper.
But where's the money coming from to make it significantly easier or cheaper? If someone has got to pay for it, who better than the people doing the behaviour that they want to stop?
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballdave For This Useful Post: